FALCON'S ODYSSEY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
POINT LOBOS STATE NATURE RESERVE

This area is just a few miles south of Carmel. It has a bunch of walking trails and many nice views. There is also a TON of poison oak and I got some on my arms and legs. It’s pretty annoying, but not nearly as itchy as poison ivy.

30374173531_2c8a157d85_o.jpg

29828278283_490efe047a_o.jpg

30162959620_fdb2cf7331_o.jpg

30343905052_279544e8d8_o.jpg

I forget which city these were from:

29828299223_2ab67acaab_o.jpg

30424353356_94033a2b85_o.jpg

30374202801_1efe02fd02_o.jpg

These are the two pictures that got messed up in the post above.

29828299223_9e15e7d401_o.jpg

30424353356_4b2aac6763_o.jpg

CALIFORNIA - BIG SUR

I drove all the way through what I consider Big Sur in one day. From Carmel to Cambria. There is a national forest stretching about 50 miles along the coast. There was a big fire this year and that entire district is closed. Normally, it seems like it’d be a wonderful place to camp. I stopped at the information center to ask them about it. This Forest has very few roads. There is no MVUM. They don’t allow dispersed camping like most NF districts do. Only camping in designated areas. I’ve seen this kind of setup referred to as “designated dispersed camping areas”. They change them around to limit impact, and it looks like they have 5-6 areas open at one time. You can get a map from them showing the current camping areas.

This stretch of coast is very beautiful. There are many other beautiful spots along the entire California coast, and  the views in Big Sur aren’t any more special. But in Big Sur, there are a lot of those wonderful views packed consistently in a short distance. Other than going up in to the National Forest, there’s not really anywhere to stop and camp. That’s why I drove the whole thing in one day. I got some fairly good pictures, but often it was overcast which isn’t good for taking pictures of big open views.

30304827330_f8d115fdd0_o.jpg

30604875165_8059b76fa4_o.jpg

This is Bixby Bridge. The one you’ve probably seen a bunch of pictures and videos of. It’s at the north end of Big Sur.

30604844195_1b11ee706a_o.jpg

30516631171_312422243d_o.jpg

30304804190_4c8e87bc1d_o.jpg

(Continued)

30604819615_2f1cb89d27_o.jpg

30604831565_5970920b1e_o.jpg

30516589281_6b4e985647_o.jpg

This is McWay Falls, in McWay Cove.

30487755992_228d118400_o.jpg

It’s that famous spot you’ve probably seen a bunch of pictures of. There is a pretty good story about this spot. The two main people in the story are women. I forget the details. One of them was a sort of poor/normal person. I think she lived right around here first. The other was, I believe, an orphan but she also inherited a bunch of money. The second Lady also came and lived here. I think she is the one that built a house overlooking this cove. When they first made the house, there wasn't a beach here. It was just cliffs or hill all the way down to the water. The waterfall dropped into the ocean. Then there was a landslide a bit to the north. A bunch of that landslide ended up in the cove and made the beach.

29970893513_86a3357412_o.jpg

30487762112_6ff17160bb_o.jpg

Very nice!

Thanks for taking the time to post these!
GREAT TRIP!!!

Dave

great pics. you know you have been allover when you can't remember where a pic was taken. highdesertranger

@djkeev, highdesertranger, and Yodavan: Thank you :-D

CAMBRIA, CA

If you ever go through this little town, there is a nice park along the coast. It’s called Fiscalini Ranch Preserve. The preserve occupies about 1 square mile. It’s mostly just grass and hills next to the coastline. Along the coast there is a walking trail and a bench every now and then. There are also trails going all over the park. Ok trails for walking. Wonderful trails for bicycling! (on a cross or mountain bike). I wanted to record video on my Go-Pro, but I have an issue: I have a bunch of videos already that I never seem to get around to doing anything with. My memory card is full right now and I need to move those off the card to record anything else. I only think about that while I’m riding my bike and then when I finish, it’s completely gone from my mental list of things I should do. I suppose I should write it down on my action list, and I’m going to do that right now. 

Ok, wrote it down. 

30625706635_6452ea96d4_o.jpg

Of these next two, which do you prefer the first or the second?

29992032833_4eae56d1fa_o.jpg

29993914264_d1e976330b_o.jpg

That cove w/ the waterfall is in one of my MS theme background wallpaper I have.
Looks like those women picked a winner spot !

SANTA BARBARA

On my way south, I stopped in San Luis Obispo for a few days. The big news here was that the plants in people’s yards started looking wonderful. And they smelled good! Really fragrant! Wow! Just walking around a block I’d walk by 4 or 5 different wonderful scents from these plants. This was the first city on my way down the coast that smelled this good. Maybe it just seems this way because I've spent little time here and haven't seen these kind of plants, but the plants people have in their yards here seem so much more beautiful and varied that what I'm used to from the midwest. 

After that I went down to Santa Barbara. There are some national forests around there, so I went into the forest to camp for a while. I went to the Santa Barbara district which is - big surprise - right by Santa Barbara. Turns out they are worried about fires right now and don’t allow you to do much of anything. You want to camp? Ok sure, yeah, you have to go into one of the 2-3 campgrounds right next to each other (basically a parking lot). Oh and you have to pay $20 per night. No fires anywhere in the Santa Barbara ranger district. No No No. NO! 

So I went down into Santa Barbara. I’d spend the next 15 days there.

Santa Barbara is really freakin’ nice.

SANTA BARBARA IN A FEW PARAGRAPHS
First thing's first: the best beach there is Hendry’s. It’s way better than the others. The second best beach is over by the 4 seasons resort, which has free wifi. Santa Barbara was the first place on my journey down the California coast where the water was warm enough to swim in relative comfort. It’s still pretty cold, but you can go in it without wanting to get right out. And it’s not cold enough to painful. The weather was absolutely perfect while I was there. The highs ranged from 70-85 and the lows were around 50-60. I spent 6 days at the beaches - at least a few hours each time laying on the beach, reading, and going in the ocean. 

The main road in downtown is State Street. It’s really nice. They’re doing shopping right. No mall. Lots of stores along a downtown street. There are pianos sitting on most corners along State Street. Each time I walked the length of the street (about a mile), I’d pass 4 or 5 people playing a piano very well. I never knew that so many people who are just walking around in public can sit down at a random (and I’d guess, pretty crappy) piano and play wonderful music. I bet there are very few cities where you could get music of this quality by placing communal pianos downtown and letting whoever wants play them. Maybe something to do with how much money people spend? (including piano lessons for kids)

This is a great city for road cycling, as long as you like going up hills. The city is on a pretty narrow stretch of flat land between the coast and hills/mountains. There are a number of different paved roads going up those hills. I rode up San Marcos St. 4 or 5 times. The views from that road are wonderful. Others (Gibraltar) are probably as good or better.

House prices in Santa Barbara are insane. I checked Zillow and put an upper limit of $500,000. No results. NO RESULTS. There are some small and crappy houses here but there’s not one for sale for less than half a million. People here seem to spend a LOT of money.

The age demographics here are odd. There are a ton of old people. There are a lot of college kids. There’s not many people in between. Except for in the Mexican parts of town. They have all the normal age ranges. 

HOW ABOUT A HISTORY LESSON?
There is some interesting history here. It’s now been a few weeks since I read about this so I forget the names and the details are cloudy.

There was a guy - an American - a decorated guy who had some fame for bravery, exploration, and other successes. He was in charge of the American military in the area at the moment when the U.S. decided California was too awesome to let Mexico keep having it. This awesome guy lead the U.S. Army (or whatever) over the nearby mountains to storm into Santa Barbara for a battle.

Backing up a little - the Spanish had set up a fort in Santa Barbara. It was a few acres in size. It was some buildings and hallways that made an outer square, with most of the middle open (although there were also houses and other buildings added to the middle at some point). 200 people lived in there, and 50 or so were soldiers. Now, I guess, this fort and the land were a part of Mexico.

So the brave Americans come running down the hill over the mountains. It was snowing and cold and everything up there. Windy as hell. Slippery. Treacherous! A bunch of their horses and mules died. But no soldiers. They came charging down the hill towards Santa Barbara, foaming at the mouth, ready to crush these little Spaniards/Mexicans into oblivion. 

The Mexicans in the fort saw them coming and were appropriately worried. A nice old lady in the fort convinced the leadership that it wasn’t worth fighting. When as the Americans charged in, the Mexicans said “nah, we don’t want to fight”. So they didn't fight. I don’t know exactly what happened next. But pretty soon all of California belonged to the United States.

VANDWELLING IN SANTA BARBARA
It’s easy.

Parking is no problem. In the suburbs to the west, there are plenty of neighborhoods with room to park. In Santa Barbara itself, it’s more congested, but still pretty easy to find spots. The tricky part is the street cleaning schedule. They have a very specific rotation and each street has a 2 hour “No Parking” window every week when the street sweeper comes through. The schedule is all spread out, so one street may be closed 8-10am Monday, and the next 1-3pm Tuesday, and so on, with the cleaners appearing to work full days all weekdays. Well, one time I parked and forgot to check the sign, and I happened to pick the wrong street at the wrong time and caused a little bit of the street to not be cleaned and got a ticket for $50.

If you’re looking for easy places to park where you don’t have to worry at all during the night about someone not liking you parked there, this is the best one in town: (34.426664,-119.690942). If you want to park near a library and where you solar panels will get lots of sun, this is a good area: (34.424184,-119.678544). 

Shopping area at night - just off State Street.
30173618774_8fdf2e9fb3_o.jpg

At the beach - the one by the four seasons
30768571816_5d77cbf514_o.jpg

30504174040_b8507825ec_o.jpg

30716546411_90c0953788_o.jpg

When I was taking the pictures above, a guy walked by and talked a bit. Then I saw him a little ways down the beach and we spoke more - for about an hour. He's probably in his 50's. When I told him about my van and traveling, he told me a bunch of stories of his own - how he's had two different Volkswagon vans that he either lived or traveled in. How he went to Yosemite a TON of times and would camp there against the rules, hidden in plain site in his van (and would just not respond to the knocks of rangers, which would quickly move on) or hidden out in the park, at times in a sleeping bag on a tarp, out in the open with no tent, just nestled in some prairie. He said there are groups of climbers and other sorts of people who know a bunch of tricks for free camping in Yosemite. 

On the way down to San Diego
30688299322_126699a531_o.jpg

I love this picture :-D 

What’s next?
- I’ll be in and around San Diego for the next month or more. (I drove through the entire Los Angeles area quickly. I wasn’t in the mood for LA. I did have an In N Out Cheeseburger. mmmmmmmm, yeah buddy!)

A lot is happening in San Deigo. I'll have some cool stuff to share.[/color]

You're in my neck of the woods now. Welcome. I'm on the PCH also known as the 101. Parking along the beach is free in north county and campfires are allowed in firepits only on the beach. Coronado Island and Silverstrand beach down south are great. Since you're in the area you might want to take the ferry (no cars) over to Catalina Island. Great camping spots there. Dana Point is good for this. 

Oceanside Harbor is good for a whale watching trip and overnight parking by the boat launch and coffee. Food is ok there.

Isn't the weather great here?

Really love your pics, keep them coming.

I've been working on something new. Keep your britches on though, it's nothing to get all excited about.

31203649082_6ddbd8f73c_b.jpg

WEBSITE
I made a website. It’s basically a blog. The website is called My Wild Dreams . So far I’ve just been setting up the front/landing page, and making a few blog posts to get started. I think I will try to get caught up on my trip reports so far. Now’s a good time for that because I’ll be moving slow during the winter.

Here are the main reasons I started the blog:
* To work on improving my writing (I think having a website will help me challenge myself more than I do with just forum posts)
* To have a better place to share my travels, the places I go, and the pictures. I should be able to control the formatting better (though so far, within the blog posts, I definitely can’t). I chose a name that’s not specific to vanliving so that if I want, I could continue the blog after I move on to other things, without having a mismatched name.[/list]

Expected subjects:
* Travel tales
* Some overall Vandwelling information
* Some personal finance information (nearly all people who want to live in vans and travel are interested in that side of it)
* Pictures!

PODCAST EPISODE
I was on a podcast. It’s called Fighting Failure.  The podcast is mostly meant for people considering or making entrepreneurial efforts, but he story would be useful for his target audience.  My episode can be heard here: Fighting Failure Episode 6 – A Path to Freedom. We talk mostly about personal finance, early retirement, and reducing spending. It’s 30 minutes long.

How it happened:
Not long after arriving in San Diego, I hung out with an old friend for a weekend. One evening, a friend of his invited us to meet them at a bar/restaurant to watch some UFC fights. While there, my friend was telling one guy (Jared) about me being retired, living in the van, and traveling. Earlier, I’d overheard Jared telling another about a project he was working on. Some stuff about how people don’t go after their dreams (enough) because they let their fear of failure get in the way. Jared talked to me a bit and asked me if I’d be on his podcast. Sure, what the hell.

PICTURES

(I’m behind on processing them… here are a few)

On a walk with friends:
31396932785_046ce5ecdf_b.jpg

30575538404_2650d58986_b.jpg

30575540054_011d9f3e54_b.jpg

31027900370_9d4079971b_b.jpg

TRAVELS

I've been in/near San Diego for a few weeks now. I'm loving it. I'll write more about this later. This weekend I finally got out of the city. I had been in cities entirely (except for while driving) for like 6 weeks! I've came to a national forest area northeast of San Deigo. It feels great being out here.

Good to see you're enjoying life. I grew up partially in northern and partially in eastern San Diego County. Still love visiting family, although it's much more crowded than in the 70s and 80s.

The blog looks great! Looking forward to following it.

SUV_RVing said:
The blog looks great! Looking forward to following it.

Thank you! Pretty soon I'll get done converting my trip report posts here to blog posts and start making actual new posts.

New blog post: Get the hell out of the city: Camping near San Diegohttp://mywilddreams.net/2016/12/27/get-the-hell-out-of-the-city/

Ok, So I traveled down the California coast during October and November. Then I spent about a month in and around San Diego. Because it's tricky to free camp along the coast (especially because the National Forest at Big Sur was closed, I had spent every single night for the last 2-3 months inside cities. It's no big deal, but there are small annoyances: putting up and taking down curtains, moving the van around often, not being able to just step out of the van and pee, etc. Plus, it's great being out in nature. So I was craving it. A lot. So, I got he hell out of the City for a week and went camping in part of Cleveland National Forest that is near San Diego.

A preview of pictures:

31088373614_b85fa6268e_c.jpg

31780924442_230a615558_c.jpg

31928138905_831556e280_c.jpg