EZ Up Canopy/Shade

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossCountryGal

Reaction score
Does anyone use anything like this instead of an awning? &nbsp;What has been your experience in ease of set-up and break down for one person? &nbsp;Windy (beach) conditions - better to weight or stake? &nbsp;Anything else you can share?<br><br>http://www.amazon.com/EZ-UP-Canopy-feet-Awning/dp/B000QBUCEW<br><br>I thought I might get double use out of it for selling my glass crafts - opinions?

One thing nice about these is that you can set them anywhere.&nbsp; If you want to put them over a picnic table you can't get near with your camper or vehicle, this is a great option.&nbsp; And, it gets quicker and easier each time you set it up!<br><br>Rae

<p>wow I can't believe this, &nbsp;I found one of these on the road on Friday.&nbsp; brand new in the box.&nbsp; I will give a review in august after I have used it.&nbsp; I do know that they must be staked down real good they do not like the wind.&nbsp; highdesertranger</p>

actually they like the wind so much they want to date the wind !<br>Easy to setup by one person, stake it out or use weights. Weights could be as simple as buckets filled with water or sand remember.&nbsp;

A couple of guys used one at the deer lease 2 years ago.&nbsp;A storm came thru one night and their canopy was down the next morning. Frame was bent badly, they had to shore it up with a pine sapling. At the beach most stakes won't work, we used to tire on to something (log,rock,bucket)&nbsp; then bury it in the sand. I wasn't there during set up so I don't know about ease of setting up or take down.

you need to make sure you get the walls with these.&nbsp; the walls will block the wind and help stop it from blowing away.&nbsp; used these all the time at festivals, and when the wind storm starts up you put the walls down, and pound in the stakes.&nbsp; walls are good against rain and wind to keep the breeze under control.

I have seen wind ruin many ez ups.&nbsp; here is a good one, not a ez up but pretty amazing still.&nbsp; 2 years ago at the Oregon sunstone area me and my buddy set up my tarp for shade.&nbsp; it's a big tarp 24'x17' one side hooked to the rack of my truck the other side on 3 poles that need to be staked.&nbsp; well we got all the stakes in but 1 kept hitting the basalt bedrock that underlays the area.&nbsp; after trying to move the stake all over I finally got my rotor hammer out drilled a hole in the basalt and drove the stake in.&nbsp; that will hold her we said.&nbsp; well one afternoon we were enjoying the shade and a beer a dust devil came though camp well it popped all the stakes except that one that was drilled in.&nbsp; &nbsp;that one lifted the piece of basalt into the air and set it back down.&nbsp; this piece wasn't bedrock but a piece about 4' x 4' x 8".&nbsp; well the stake held,&nbsp; that pole held, &nbsp;it was the only one kept the whole shebang from coming down on us.&nbsp; I am still amazed at the&nbsp;sight of that big rock up in the air and slamming back to earth.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Looks like a nice canopy. &nbsp;Did you notice the shipping weight at 77 pounds? &nbsp;Wonder if lugging around that much weight might be an issue?

So happy everyone threw their two cents in - thanks! &nbsp;No caseyc - I didn't notice the weight - that alone is a deal breaker for me. &nbsp;And how vulnerable they are to the wind - I hadn't given that enough consideration either.<br><br>Y'all just saved me some money - thank you! I love this board and everyone sharing their experiences!

If you run across a used one cheap&nbsp;consider it, mine is cheap and weighs around, I don't know, I will look, probably 30 pounds or less. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are looking for an awning that will always stand up to the wind, I just don't think that will happen. <BR>Maybe one of those cool cabana awnings on fiberglass poles will stand up to the wind.<BR><BR>

At one time I was looking into buying a canopy.&nbsp;I visited a few different local sports stores like Big 5 Sports, Sports Authority, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;That's when I noticed that canopies that are 10x10, 12x12, and larger are packaged in heavy boxes.&nbsp; Seriously, it would probably take 2 persons to move the box into your vehicle! Freakin heavy for the larger canopies!&nbsp;That's why I now use simple lightweight beach umbrellas that can easily be setup and stored.&nbsp;I&nbsp;actually have 3 large beach umbrellas so I can setup side by side.&nbsp; Obviously, a beach umbrella may not suit your needs when you really need something much larger like a canopy. But for my situation, I'd rather carry 3 lightweight beach umbrellas that weigh a couple pounds, versus a monster 50+ pound canopy.&nbsp; At one time I even thought of buying a&nbsp; large&nbsp;outdoor patio umbrella that required a heavy circular base to keep the umbrella standing upright. But the freakin base plate was quite heavy and large, and I ditched that idea. But maybe that might work for others?

Chum said:
I have been looking into tarps and canopies. Right now I'm trying to find poles to hold up a blue tarp that i can have near a cooking area and won't matter if it gets singed by the fire.

You might want to look at the extendable tent poles like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Steel-Tent-Pole-8/17215250

They're much easier to pack than 7 or 8' lengths of either PVC or metal conduit.

Ken in Anaheim said:
The 2 best ideas/sources I know are :
1. A "flea market" type of awning : http://www.ysbw.com/
and
2. A high wind tested shelter : http://galaxybeing.com/galaxyhut/
KinA

I've not used the second one but the first one you labeled 'flea market' type awning takes a long time to set up and take down...I have a one that is going up for sale this summer. It's either a 10 x 20 or 12 x 20 (can't remember). They're great if you're going to be in one spot for weeks at a time or for a shelter at a S&B but for travelling...not something I can recommend.

I have a 20 year old K D Canopy that I'm debating bringing with me when I go on the road. It's much heavier duty than any of the cheap easy up (not using brand names here). The ones' labeled as easy up seldom are and I've seen more of them destroyed in any kind of wind than anything else. I did art and craft shows and markets for 14 years on a year round basis and saw more of them in the garbage bins than anything else.

My only problem with the canopy is where to store it. I'm not up to dragging it into the van and standing it upright for travel and it would be only in my way all the time. I'm thinking it can be bagged and lashed to the top of the hitch carrier but I have to check my total weight of it and it's contents before I decide.

In any case, if it doesn't come with me, it will stay in storage in the CT for when I settle down for a few months at a time.