EZ Peanut Stew

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantym1

Reaction score
disclaimer: no fridge atm & decided I don't want 2 bother w/ice either. The grocery is maybe a 1/2 mi so I get fresh produce every couple days

1/2 small zucchini. 1/2 small ear of corn. 1/2 med roma tomato. 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts. salt/pepper & spices/herbs to taste. (Italian? TexMex? etc)

Quarter & slice zucchini. Slice kernels off corn. Chop tomato. Place everything into small (1 qt) crockpot along with 1 & 1/4 cups water. Simmer 3-4 hrs. I usually add 1/3 cup instant brown rice or bulghur when I turn off the pot & the grain is cooked by the time is cool enuff to eat. Or add 1/3 cup quinoa, millet, amaranth, etc @ the start.

Lentils can be substituted for the peanuts without increasing cooking time. Or simmer 1/4 cup garbanzos (or most any beans) overnite, add the veggies & simmer for lunch.

I like this coz it's almost endlessly versatile: it's just a stew after all! Have also made this in my thermos & in a homemade solar (the $5 one recently posted).

The cost? Peanuts: 17¢ ($5.88 for 2 lb 3 oz size 35servg); zucchini was 36¢; corn was 20¢; tomato was 48¢ so = 52¢/servg veggies, which totals maybe $1 for the meal once grain is added.

I make use of a rice cooker instead of a crock pot. I don't always have that much time to cook something. There's sooo much more you can do with a rice cooker than cook rice! I love your use of the peanuts. And as you say, it's just a stew after all.

Never tried a rice cooker.

Peanuts make a nice textural/taste change from lentils/beans in pilafs & so many other dishes. Try adding some next time u have sweet potato (crunchy p butter works great, esp in sweet potato soup)

Hope that fire out ur way gets contained & u stay safe!