EZ Pass Tracking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArmorAbby said:
A Minimum $20 balance prepaid*

Now I understand why you think you have to make $20 in EZPass tolls a month.  No they just require you to have a certain balance on your EZPass account. So yes they charge your account $20 whenever it goes below a certain amount. (sorry can't remember what that amount is).  However you do NOT have to spend $20 a month in tolls.  Some months we don't even use our EZPass.  They don't charge us anything that month. The next time we use the EZpass they charge our account whatever that toll amount is. If the remaining balance gets below certain amount they automatically charge another $20  to the charge card you have set up on that account.  With the EZPass you pay slightly less than cash customers do for the tolls.

No discount on most tolls. Most EzPass states charge a service fee each month, use the pass or not. NJ charges $1 per month. I still recommend having an account. The best state to have is North Carolina.

Zil said:
No discount on most tolls. Most EzPass states charge a service fee each month, use the pass or not. NJ charges $1 per month. I still recommend having an account. The best state to have is North Carolina.

I am not sure about other states, but NJ offers a bigger discount on hybrid vehicles.  I had to bring my documents to the Newark office to get my green transponder.

I saw a CocoCola van parked ahead of me one night... and it was a hybrid... I'd freaking love to have one....

ok Just ordered my EZ Pass. I figure it'll save money, even though it costs $1 per month and another $1 every two months.... since I go in to buy stuff just to get cash back sometimes... and it will save gas, cause sometimes I just avoid toll roads altogether since I don't have cash.. so now.. to see if they notice I'm living there :p

ok, and already was able to check my account... without any activity, there are columns to see what is being recorded...
they are pretty detailed on the entry areas, dates and times.
I really hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here....

Do not worry about ezpass tracking. They don't care where you sleep. They only want you to see the tolls you are paying so you don't feel cheated. If you should rob a bank, then they will tell the cops where you are driving. In the rest stop, the patrolling officer will know how long you are there without ezpass info.

If we're talking about the same ezpass I have, then no, it's a 20 initial deposit. Not monthly. Supposedly they can take it away if you don't use it enough but they haven't pulled mine yet and I might use it once a year.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

That's so you can tell if you are charged for a tool you didn't go through.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

NJ Ez Pass. They have my deposit, they get $1 a month. I'm linked to a card. They will not take it away.

It's been a bit of time now.. and I gotta say.. I am SO GLAD I got the EZPASS. The times I go in & out and sleep there are documented, but they don't seem to care. I don't have to worry about having change. They do charge for billing and invoicing, but it's cheap. I have a $25 auto refill, if my balance falls below whatever amount, they take $25. It's worth the time that's saved from forgetting to get cash or enough change, or the lines for tickets or paying.
My second winter is starting. Got my EZ Pass, got my Heater Buddy. Bring it on :D

If you can...keep a close eye on your bank balance

Ezpass once withdrew hundreds of dollars from my bank...in a single month. I only knew it when my checks were bouncing!

It took more than a month and two letters to the States Attorney General to finally get a complete and up to date statement from ezpass.

Someone figured out how to hack the transponder. Ezpass billing showed me coming over one of the bridges near NYC at the same time I was going through a toll on the Masspike hundreds of miles away.

I did get all my money back....but still have a massive hassle with all those bounced checks.

Now, I never allow any business, etc to automatically withdraw from my checking

Trebor English said:
There are roadside radios set up to interrogate transponders that are nowhere near toll roads.  I have only seen non toll interrogators on interstate highways.  I can't guess why they would do that.  

Toll prices with the transponder may be less than cash.  There are two that I often drive by that are $.87 by transponder and $1.00 in cash.  I have a transponder to save money and avoid the cash line when the line is long.  Sometimes I roll it up in my tinfoil hat when I would rather pay cash.  Tracking is not an option.  They have license plate readers at all the toll locations in Florida.  New Jersey may spend their tax money differently.

Did I see Florida?????
Looking for fellow stealthy's in FL..
Was going to head to the RTR however. Van and family concerns won't allow this year however.. I will show up in 2019..with all kinda bells on !!!!
Anyone not doing RTR in FL who might wanna connect over the next few months ..say in Arcadia ...or further south ( I prefer warmth ) ( and yes I'm a WUS )

Watch your speeding over bridges in FL with those EZ Passes. I never liked the transponders (they could map me 24/7 if they wanted in their helicopters), and was glad to rip mine up when I was leaving FL. FL State Troopers were perched around the St. Pete to Bradenton (??) bridge on both sides every day it seemed, trying to boost bridge revenues.

But yea, a snooze was always in store crossing in either direction within the 'bridge' property fence. The air was refreshing if wasn't too hot and humid: better when the Sun was down but safer when the Sun was up. Twilight in the morning or evening was good for a couple of sleep cycles (up to 3 hours.) Ymmv. Get your money's worth for the bridge fare! It was the safest place to park in that area with FL Disney Land helicopters (100 mi radius around Disney land in Orlando, FL or Anaheim, CA!) buzzing the sky continuously, at night esp. FL cops (not State Patrols) have a reputation Nationwide, so watch out and mind your manners. FL cops really are "Bad Boys, Bad Boys,..."

> I never liked the transponders (they could map me 24/7 if they wanted in their helicopters)

All of the tolltag (RFID transponders) I know of being used in the states are unpowered/passive. They harvest power from the transmitter's RF and use it to send out a tiny response. They don't have enough TX power to send a signal to a helicopter. If they did it would dork up the gantry reads because multiple gantries would see the tag at once.