Eye Glasses while on the Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.S.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought eyeglasses from one of those same-day optical shops and were you happy with the quality? Also any referrals in Mexico? Thank you.

Yes, I've bought several pairs, each from different shops. They were excellent. The main difference between the shops is the quality of the eye exam and the resulting prescription specifications.

I have not yet gone for glasses im Mexico but will do so this coming winter. There is an optician and glasses shop right as you enter into Los Algodones so if you are nervous about going into the town you only have to barely walk into the town and for exiting Mexico you will be right by the exit. They adjusted my eyeglasses for me without attempting to sell me any goods or ervices wh ich of course left me with a good impression. But I can't speak as to the quality of exam or products.

Mostly I am mentioning them as I know many people are fearful of going into  Mexcico on their own. at this place you barely step into the country. Of course there are at least a doozen other places within a few blocks of the gate to choose from. Quite likely many of them are using the same manufacturing lab to produce the lenses.

So as stated above the quality of the exam is important. The last few years in the US my exams were done by machines with only fine tuning done by the optician. I have some eye issues from retinal damage so I get extra magnification for close up work and also extea magmification for distance as I am a nomadic and it helps with long distance drives. Many people don't realize you can ask for such things. But it does mean needing a larger sized lens area to accomadate that extra area. But not extremely large lenses, so dont worry about looking like a freak.

Many Target stores have optical. Turnaround is less than a week and they have discounted prices. They also have to meet certain standards or they can lose their spot in Target. I used them in Colorado and had a good experience.

Got an exam and bought glasses from America's best 2 years ago at home in MI. Want new glasses now and I'm in Maine 2 to 3 weeks just to get the exam . I'll wait until I get down to New York.

I love Costco optical, but it's not fast to get your glasses back, it's 7-10 days although I've gotten them faster. I was just in Wednesday, paid $95 for the exam and $169 for the lenses which have some bells and whistles. I bought the frames about a month ago when I saw a pair I wanted and those were $70.

When I first moved to Wenatchee, I went to Walmart thinking glasses would be cheaper there. They were around $350 for glasses and lenses. The next pair I got at Costco and they were about $125 all told. This was in 2003.

I carry my script in my phone and once had my glasses stolen! Likely picked up by mistake but results were the same.

One hour optical, but holiday so I went back next morning. They did a good job quickly!

SD

I've used a one-hour shop twice. The first time was because I failed my eye exam at the DMV and my license was expiring at midnight that same day. Went and got the glasses and got back to the registry before it closed...which was a good thing because I was driving a truck to Albany the next morning (from Boston).
The second time was a few months later when I batted at a mosquito while fishing and knocked my glasses into about 12 feet of cold water.
Both times I was very happy with the glasses. I think it was For Eyes.

I think, before buying points, it is necessary to determine which glasses you need and for what they will be used. I wear glasses all the time and therefore when ordering, I asked to reduce diopters. If you are interested, then on the https://myvisioncare.org/category/all-about-glasses website, you can read information about glasses and contact lenses. I am pleased with my decision, since my eyes do not get tired and my vision has been kept on the same level for 20 years.