Extension cord for for elec. hookup?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coloradowoman

Reaction score
Hi!&nbsp; Hoping someone will help me with a very basic question.&nbsp; I am fixing up a minivan for basic camping and will cook outdoors on a coleman propane camping stove.&nbsp; No plans for a battery or built in propane tank.&nbsp; Mostly a&nbsp;fair weatherr camper, but would like to be able to hook up to shore power occassionally&nbsp;if i am camping in really cold weather and want to use a catalytic heater.&nbsp; <br><br>My question is, what kind of&nbsp;extension cord and adapters do i need to hook up to shore power&nbsp;if i want to use a heater in cold weather?&nbsp; From what I've read,&nbsp;it seems like most campsites with electricy&nbsp;have either 30 amp or 15 amp outlets.&nbsp;I know that I can buy a&nbsp;30 amp electric cord and a 15 amp adapter for those older campsites, but what do i need at the other end of the cord in the van? Can I buy an adapter to connect the 30 amp cord to a surge protector that i can plug in a heater and maybe my laptop cojmputer into?&nbsp; <br><br>Thanks for any help.&nbsp; <br>Coloradowoman<br>

I carry a 50', 12 gauge&nbsp; three wire standard extension cord- common at any hardware store. Don't try to be cheap and buy any smaller wire-it will heat up and rob power. I like the "all weather cords" as they are more flexible/ easier to coil and last longer without cracking. I use the single outlet cord since I only run either a heater or a battery charger, but never at the same time. never felt the need to have 30 amp and the added expense. Never been at a site with only 30a power...<br>JMHO....<br><br>

Catalytic heaters use propane as a fuel source, no electricity needed, (remember to crack a window )<br>An electric heater in most cases uses 15 amps at the max setting, using a surge protector and heavy duty chord would work very well.<br><br>Putz<br>
1224.gif
<br><br>

While most catalitic heaters are unvented, there is a vented model with a small 12v fan.<br><br>Electrical cords should be heaver guage (smaller number) the longer they are.&nbsp; For a 15 amp heater, I'd recomend #12 for 50' or shorter, #10 for 100'.&nbsp; Adapters are readily avilable in the RV section of Walmart or Camping World, the kind with a short cord has a better reputation than the smaller kind.<br><br>

<P>Answering your question, there are reverse plug outlets you can buy that fit in a hole cut through the side or where-ever on your van. They are called "motor outlet plugs" at some places and simply reverse plugs elsewhere. Look closely at my conversion ("Simple Van Conversion") on the left hand side of the main page for this web site and you will see where mine is installed. It is just behind the door on the driver's side. Inside comes through a fixture Tiara had there as a book rack and cover for their electrical conversion. I installed a GFI there and an electrical box on short cord to handle inside 120 volt needs when at a campground with power. As to cutting through the van side. You'll find it has no impact on resale I've learned over lots of years and lots of vehicles.&nbsp;</P>

Thanks, everyone, for your responses.&nbsp; I really apprecite the advice-just what I was looking for.&nbsp; So, I'm going to start with a 10 or 12 guage 25 ft extension cord to run thru a crack in the window.&nbsp; Later,&nbsp;maybe i'll have a hole cut in the side of the van and a small electrical box installed.<br>I realized reading the responses that when i said catalytic heater i meant ceramic cube heater.&nbsp; I have also been trying to figure out how to carry and use small propane tanks for camping stove and lantern.&nbsp; I'll post that question in another thread.<br>Thanks again<br>Coloradowoman<br>

You might find that you can run the power cord through the more spacious gasket at the bottom of the curb-side big door easier than through a window. <br><br>As to propane, I put a half dozen cylinders in the bottom drawer of one of the plastic drawer setups I have in the back of the van. See "Easy Van Conversion" to the left of this forum. Remember that propane is heavier than air. If it leaks, it'll be on the floor level first and can ignite as a flash fire quickly from a lot of sources. That's why most sailors use white gas fueled stoves and such. Safer than propane. However, I've never had any problem from the small cylinders yet. I will be converting to a bigger cylinder on the trailer yoke, however, and appropriate connectors to run stove, catalytic heater, etc. Low priority.<br>