Expert Help Needed on Two RV Choices...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertDweller

Reaction score
I posted this to another blog, but I need as much help as I can get! Due to our business, we decided on a Class A. Which of these two RVs is the better choice as far as quality, etc.? We're going to look at both this weekend, and we're certainly not experts. I have done a lot of research in the past year, but that doesn't count for "real" experience. Any expert advice would be SO appreciated! Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer us.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/rvs/5956344222.html

http://mohave.craigslist.org/rvs/5945879267.html

Roof leaks should be a deal-killer. Condition, layout, no rubber roof, are more important IMHO than what engine or exact age. I would have preferred a V10 but wound up with a 460. Itasca is Winabego that has a good rep on giving info on their used motorhomes.

If there's any water stains on the ceilings and walls and/or the floor feels spongy anywhere, walk away. Engines, transmissions and appliances can be repaired and replaced.

What everyone else said. Check each for leaks first....all leaks, not just roof leaks; wall streaks, spongy floor around windows and walls, carpet stains and under cabinets.

After that they seem pretty comparable. Look at each and pretend to do every-day things in them...sit on the couch and watch TV, get in the shower, sit on the toilet, lay in the bed, make a meal, eat a meal etc You will get a better feel for which one you like better that way.

With all else being equal it comes down to how the interior space feels and works for you. Both brands are good.

DesertDweller said:
I posted this to another blog, but I need as much help as I can get! Due to our business, we decided on a Class A. Which of these two RVs is the better choice as far as quality, etc.? We're going to look at both this weekend, and we're certainly not experts. I have done a lot of research in the past year, but that doesn't count for "real" experience. Any expert advice would be SO appreciated! Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer us.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/rvs/5956344222.html

http://mohave.craigslist.org/rvs/5945879267.html
Head to Vegas and bet red!

They both look pretty good, and I think I read they both have new tires. That in itself is great.
I had a friend that owned a V10 Ford, and swore by it. He insisted it got good fuel economy as well.
I'm not a Ford guy, but between the two I'd lean towards the one equipped with the V10. Good Luck.

DannyB1954 said:
I would take the V-10. The 460 was a pretty good motor, but it used an awful amount of gasoline. Google Ford 460 vs V-10. see what people think. The weak link of the V10 was the sparkplug holes. There are fixes for this, http://www.timesert.com/html/ford_sparkplug_faq.html.

I second the Timeserts.  Great design.  I have used them many times with a 100% success rate.   But I have never used them on a Ford v10 or any other Ford Triton engine.  In another life I fixed motorcycles for a living.  I put a lot of Timeserts into motorcycle parts and saved folks a whole lot of money.

blars said:
Roof leaks should be a deal-killer.  Condition, layout, no rubber roof, are more important IMHO than what engine or exact age.  I would have preferred a V10 but wound up with a 460.  Itasca is Winabego that has a good rep on giving info on their used motorhomes.

I would chose the 460 over the the v10 unless I was driving all of the time.   The 460 is fuelish but is is also one of the most durable engines ever made.  An upgrade to a set of the Bosch Gen 3 fuel injectors will help the mileage, power, engine response and increase engine life.

Zman said:
Head to Vegas and bet red!

But...but we ESCAPED Vegas 4 1/2 years ago! Spent 16 grueling years there, so that's in the past for us. Never was a big gambler, but made my living off those who DO  :p

We're going to see the Gulfstream and the Itasca in Vegas both tomorrow. I did manage to reach the owner of the Gulfstream finally, and when I questioned him about any prior leaks, he said he bought it at a dealership, and that it DID have a leak at one time, but it was "repaired". Hmmm... so, if it had a prior leak, should that one be off the table? 

I personally lean towards the Itasca, for the engine durability. My dude leans toward the Gulfstream because it's "newer" and can be more easily diagnosed by hooking it up to a obd2 thingy (whatever that is?). Most of our travel is within our state, but we will go across country from June until September, stopping off along the way to smell the campfires, unless we find an event we want to work and just can't pass up the opportunity. 

The stress is creeping up a bit, but I've got a picker coming over to help me empty this house. I hope she buys a lot of "stuff"!

I SO appreciate the friendly help on this site! You guys ROCK!  :cool:

DesertDweller said:
But...but we ESCAPED Vegas 4 1/2 years ago! Spent 16 grueling years there, so that's in the past for us. Never was a big gambler, but made my living off those who DO  :p

We're going to see the Gulfstream and the Itasca in Vegas both tomorrow. I did manage to reach the owner of the Gulfstream finally, and when I questioned him about any prior leaks, he said he bought it at a dealership, and that it DID have a leak at one time, but it was "repaired". Hmmm... so, if it had a prior leak, should that one be off the table?
I would go see it anyway, just inspect it close for possible hidden damage. The most common cause of leakage is from the roof vents. If caught and repaired right away there shouldn't be any damage to speak of, and class A's are much less prone than a class C to do so anyway.
Just take your time looking them over.
PS, I made a living from peoples gambling habits for about 25 years in Vegas.