Exceptionally Tall Ladder Racks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notabear13

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of converting an old E350 wheelchair van. It's a great van, with a nice tall roof that lets me stand up inside (a rarity in vans, since I'm 6'3"). But this feature comes with a problem - I'd like to mount my solar on a ladder rack that rides on the rain gutters, so as to avoid putting more stress on or drilling more holes in the fiberglass. But the roof is 30" high!

I found this linked in an older post here:

https://www.vantech.us/DIY-H1-1-Bar-Steel-System-Drilling-Required-H-CUSTOM-ST.htm

But it looks like the uprights are 28.5" tall, and they recommend 3" of clearance. This is the tallest model I could find.

Does anyone know of any taller models? If not, I might try making my own with the help of a neighbor who has a welder to buy a cheaper ladder rack and weld on some taller uprights.

Bear: that is going to be a specialty item, for sure. I would suggest you start by contacting the manufacturers of truck accessories; companies that make equipment for commercial vehicles and adapt them to a specific application. Normally this equipment is sold to "upfitters" who do the modification of the vehicle and install the equipment.

Google: upfitters; commercial truck equipment; check your local Yellow Pages listings. Maybe even stop in to a new vehicle dealership and get some names from them that they use locally. You are looking for equipment made for class 3, 4 and 5 vehicles. We have a local Ford dealership that specializes in medium truck sales and has a staff devoted to selling trucks outfitted exactly to the customers specifications.

Go on line and see if you can find listings for trade magazines pertaining to "upfitting", such as Medium Truck Magazine and others targeted to the class 3,4 and 5 trucks.

Just some thoughts as to what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Good luck!

My thoughts would be to purchase a standard rack then have a welder extend it. I've done the exact same thing for a different application. It was aluminum and cost me $300. Steel would be less. In that case, buying a used one that isn't rusty would work.

yeah I believe you will have to modify a set. if I were to do this I would recommend a "X" brace on each side to tie the two legs together this will eliminate any rocking front to back. highdesertranger

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be combing the internet for a used roof rack to chop up!