Ever happen to you?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Coming back from 2 weeks at Pigeon Springs decided to take 108 instead of 120 due to the heavy traffic and constant road repairs, when I reached the summit a little over 9K elevation I was coasting down when I came across a semi blocking the entire roadway. This guy had many warnings posted about  NOT DOING JUST THAT! 108 is a hairry drive hairpin turns and 26% grades I was invested and a crowd was behind me.

Yes. It didn't affect me but led to a bad accident. I was overnighting in WV near a "Y"-type intersection where 2 narrow country roads met. It was a real tight turn going into town and a semi couldn't make it and was stuck across the road that led down off a hill. I watched him struggle with it for 15 mins. When a car came down at 40mph or so. Bam.....right into the trailer with a sickening crunch. It was 2am and for the next hour it was ambos and cops.

I was coming into Prescott AZ last winter via the narrow windy Hwy 89 from the south ... woof! A semi trucker unfamiliar with the terrain had driven his 18-wheeler trailer to the following spot,
34.475159, -112.515009.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.4751667!4d-112.515

I saw him from the curves below. When I got there he was just barely managing to do a 180, with 6" to spare. Otherwise, I don't know how he could have possibly backtracked on that road.

No but everywhere i drive on colorado i have a mile of traffic behind me and im doing grades steep enough to make me feel sorry for my old girl.

Going through deals gap in TN Ive seen truckers shaken to tears at the end.

Reminds me of one i took a week ago

Attachments

• received_398255184231046.jpeg
    received_398255184231046.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 55
Don't ever drive beyond how far you can see.
Careful with "investing" when the future is uncertain.
Assuming that any unseen stretch of public road is clear?
Wildlife will do as they will.
Mechanical breakdowns happen.
Things fall off of and out of vehicles.
Rocks fall.
Fluids spill.

Qxxx said:
I was coming into Prescott AZ last winter via the narrow windy Hwy 89 from the south ... woof! A semi trucker unfamiliar with the terrain had driven his 18-wheeler trailer to the following spot,
34.475159, -112.515009.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.4751667!4d-112.515

I saw him from the curves below. When I got there he was just barely managing to do a 180, with 6" to spare. Otherwise, I don't know how he could have possibly backtracked on that road.

I am very familiar with that road. I can only imagine that the trucker only took that route because he'd never been over it before. 

That stretch also happens to be my favorite route for a motorcycle ride. Coming down the hill from Prescott just put it in neutral and bob and weave all the way to Wilhoit!

For the benefit of people who've not been on Hwy 89 south of Prescott AZ, I made this picture from google maps. The trucker drove out from town, and you can see the road was easily passable till he got to the spot marked. From there to Wilhoit is the fun part.

The trucker was probably paying more attention to his GPS than road signs. I was just camping in a one ton dually truck with full size camper while in Prescott AZ. I wanted to check out an abandoned mine called the Senator Mine. I didn't know exactly where it was so I had my Phone give me some help with Google Maps. Before long it had me on a jeep trail telling me to turn left in 5 miles. The road turned into more of an ATV trail. I stopped and an ATV drove by and stopped. I had already passed by the mine 6 miles back but did not see it because of vegetation. I got to a place where I could do a 360 point turn without going over the cliff.
Google sent me a message the next day asking how satisfied I was with their directions. It was a multiple choice questionnaire but did not have a check box for you idiot, you could have gotten me killed.
I did tell them where the mine really is.

I heard about the constant road repairing spots in 108 from a friend of mine, he was driving the RV and his 2 sons was with him. Thankfully they got saved from an almost crash situation while taking a road transition.

He shared this story with me and thankfully I got notified about the scenario. I drive very carefully whenever I have to drive on that street.