Ever felt like "WHY ME?!"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms_AZ_Mary

Reaction score
...Yup. Me too. By this stage in my life I'm totally convinced that God said "Hey Mary! Wanna go back around for the 20th time and deal with even MORE CRAP? C'mon! It'll be good for your soul's progress!!" And just like that, I stupidly raised my damn ethereal hand, said "OK! Count me in!!" AND?

Here I am. :huh:

Great.

Anyways, I'm new here and despite my dry humor, there are still days where I'm SORT of excited about life. I've been a silent admirer of Bob's YT channel for a LONG time and lived the nomad life about 10 years ago. Getting ready to do it all again. I opted for a Class C RV. Probably out of habit since it's what I traveled in the last time I did this. However, I have a feeling I'm gonna end up getting a truck and small travel trailer within the next 12 months. Just a hunch.

I've been a hardcore introvert the last few years and I'm forcing myself to mingle again, even though in the beginning it makes me pretty damn uncomfortable but beer seems to help ;) Just hoping to meet some cool, like-minded people and to get some modification ideas!! (for example: What kinda steps can I build so my 60 lb dog can get to the bed above the cab? Steps that won't take up tons of space? That are lightweight AND removable?)

Hope my introduction wasn't too long. If it was, my apologies as well as my sincere thanks for getting through all of it. Looking forward to getting back out on the road and meeting many interesting characters along the journey!

-M

Our standard poodle goes up the ladder in the sail boat without any trouble and the bunk is about the same height. The ships ladder is straight up and down. The pitbull mix we had before that could also manage it but eventually needed a boost when he got older and then when really senior could not do it on his own. Really depends on the age of the dog combined with fitness and some reward training. You start it off by getting them to put their forefeet on one of the upper rungs of the ladder and one foot on the bottom rung. I have seen them climb 6' high board fences just by stepping on the 2x4 horizontals, but that was a border collie escape artist. Getting down they usually take a flying leap off rather than using the ladder.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Maki2,

Thanks for the reply and the idea! He's about 8 years old but in really good shape/health although he is beginning to slow down just a bit. I think he'd probably be able to go up with no issues but coming down might be a different story. I just don't know for sure. I have an old aluminum lean-to ladder. It's very lightweight and I thought about taking some scrap OSB (1 1/2' x 8' runner of OSB) and screwing it down to the ladder. The rungs of the ladder itself would act as joists for the OSB. So it would basically be a ramp situated at a 45 degree angle as opposed to actual steps. I'll also have to put rubber stoppers at the bottom and some sort of hooking mechanism at the top so as to keep the ramp from shifting or falling when he's using it.Hope that makes sense. Sometimes it's hard to articulate the visualization that I see in my head ;)

landyachtman said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

We look forward to hearing more from you.
Hi landyachtman,

Thank you. :) I will find the appropriate section in which to discuss my doggy-ramp issue in greater detail. ;)

Hi Sofisintown:)

I was simply laughing at the irony of everything was all. Again, dry humor ;) I had the same thought so I tried it but after he got 1/2 way up he changed his mind =/ I'm guessing maybe it wasn't wide enough. If he was a smaller dog it woulda worked. Eh oh well. You know what thye say: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

If you are handy, I bet you could clone these for a fraction of the cost with some EMT (electrical conduit) or some scrap metal and canvas or other sturdy cloth. At 60#, I'd hesitate to use wood.

41d-M-2INUL._AC_.jpg

Attachments

• 41d-M-2INUL._AC_.jpg
    41d-M-2INUL._AC_.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1
Some days I tell myself “this is a test, to see how much I can handle”, and remind myself that my track record so far for surviving bad days/spells is 100%.

Welcome, and chin up.