Even If I had the Money, I'd prefer a Van over an Expensive RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take my 1982 Chevy over an RV any day of the week.

I have owned in RV in the past and mine was not exactly "quality" to put it bluntly.

Steve,
The unsaid is where the questions are, how mechanically inclined are you and how handy are you?  The layout isn't to bad if there are only two of you and you can repair and maintain the systems.  If you are seriously interested a couple of days of driveway camping would be in order, testing everything, especially how comfortable you can get inside for hours at a time.

With a rig that age and mileage a towed is definitely in order.

Corky

thanks. i know an RV like that would be a can or worms and i worry about getting it into some off the beaten track places that i think would be no trouble in a van.

we'll go van but i'm sure i'll wake up in my little box many nights and wish i had that rv

One of My friend's has a large Class C. I've fixed many things inside of it, and all of the repairs were due to poor workmanship or just poor products and or both.

His house batteries had, still have, horrid open ended crimped ring terminals that were growing both Broccoli and Cauliflower from the exposed copper stranding. While he is hardly cash strapped, having me properly terminate the cabling was just too much money. Many other wiring failures, and full blown factory halfassery all over and I groan when he asks me to fix something on it. I make sure he knows how it should be fixed, compared to what he is willing to pay to make it workable. Just like how it should have been designed and made, versus what made the most money for the manufacturer.

Some other friends think I see a RV and think I would desire having one. They get all confused when i say "As little as I own, I wish I owned less"

Somebody has to fuel the consumer economy, that does not mean it has to be me.

As far as Chris Travels and his money pit of a Class A, well, he has gotten a lot more followers since class A aquisition, but I personally preferred his videos when he was travelling in his Van Zep. I also find G's input and attitude to be annoying.

He seems to act like his class B was problem free. Perhaps it was in comparison to the Class A, but the only reason i know him is from helping him with various Dodge related issues he had with it over the years.

If I had the money...

Restomodded Hunt Housecar with brand new drivetrain and other updated mechanical creature comforts. Interior built to my spec with help of an architect and someone used to fitting out boats. If not a Housecar, then same deal but with an older IH Metro.

Y'all are thinking too small for dreamy "If I had the money" scenarios. A built-out DC-3 might also be on the list...

Steve2112: look, I'm going to go out on a limb and advise you to go up and personally look over that unit. It probably has a 460 in it which is a sound motor as long as you don't mind getting the exhaust manifold bolts fixed, as they almost all had problems there. The C6 tranny (I think it's a C6) is solid, of course, that one may need servicing. It soooo much depends on how many owners and if anyone has recent receipts, say the last 5 years. You could have 8-10 yr old tires which is an easy $1200, leaking shocks, a slipping tranny, rotted rubber lines, belts and hoses, hidden water damage, the old freon that needs to be converted, or, it could have much fresher mechanicals and proof of updating. Can't tell from the description. I also noticed no pictures of the interior ceiling or walls, look at all the corners, around all the vents, under the windows and of course, open the benches up to expose the water tank to look for plumbing leaks.

You must, must get a knowledgable rv tech to inspect the rv systems and a trusted mechanic to look over the chassis. Figure on $200 in inspections, but that might save you thousands...

However, if it seems to check out and there's no water damage/rot, go ahead and offer like $3500 (presuming everything works, I mean everything) and the tires are not dry rotted. Do you want to always be wondering what owing an older class c would have been like? Go ahead.

I don't know your financial state but the old POS I bought was 8,000 and I sold it for $3000 after rebuilding the front overhang due to dry rot and finding out it fouled plugs every couple or three hundred miles due to bad rings. So I put fresh plugs in it just before I sold it... Ahem...

Anyway, if you like it and it passes inspections, give it a whirl. If it turns out to be ok, fine. If it doesn't, take the loss and peddle it. You will at least have had the experience.
Figure 8 mpg with a 460...

"A built-out DC-3"?  BAH! :p

You're thinking too much inside the box for a 1940s-vintage twin-engine aircraft home.  Think amphibious.  Think Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina amphibious flying boat! :cool:

This thread is DEAD ON. At this point, I can't imagine myself "trading up" from a Cargo van. Anything larger....too much space. A cargo van keeps a man(or woman) honest lol!

One note, up until about 2005 or so, most class c rv's were on an E350 frame. Ford got smart and went to the E450 somewhere around then, especially for over 24 footers. Nowadays except for the small cheap rentals, all are 450's.

I've owned and seen way too many e350's on the road overloaded by themselves, towing or having big storage boxes on the read bumper, which is the worst place for them as they already have a long overhang...

So f you do go for an older class c, just be sure it has enough CCC. Empty it out and get it weighed at a CAT scale, with a full tank of fuel and maybe 1/2 water. Then bathroom scale your containers as they go in and add for each person. A couple folks like me and you'd be maxed out there fella...

dusty98 said:
So OP, what did you end up doing?

If, you are referring to me, I'm currently building out a E150 cargo van into a camper. I would never go Class C, but maybe Class B when I am older and want to perhaps stay at an RV park with hookups for the winter. As it stands, my preference is to customize my van to my liking and keep it fairly simple in terms of plumbing etc.

Exactly my thoughts. Most class B's, even well used in the late 80's or early 90's years, are twice or more $$ than that of a van conversion. Plus they have lots of things you may not want or need, and everything breaks in time. Lastly, they have trouble dumping since the plumbing drains are so low, and the suspensions have been carrying all that weight for all those years.

Hey wait a minute, that describes me... "Everything breaks in time, has trouble dumping and suspension has been carrying all that weight for years". Am I a class B guy?