Evaporative air cooling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motrukdriver

Reaction score
evaporative-cooler-map-best-locations.jpg

Here is an instructable for a portable swamp cooler.  It won't be long before the warm comes back to it might be time to think about what you might do keep comfortable in it.   This uses a lot of water but it looks like it would cool a pretty large area.  I'm sure we could engineer a smaller unit that could cool a smaller area, maybe just a blocked off sleeping area that would use less water.  Also, if you keep your kitchen sink water out of your grey water you might can use that grey water for evaporative cooling, getting two uses per gallon.  Kitchen sink water is most likely to contain emulsified fats from food (grease) and while it might be usable it could produce undesirable odors. Shower and other body wash water would have soap in it and that might be a more pleasant aroma so possibly usable.  Using a DC blower to move the air and no compressor the draw on the batteries could be very manageable for an overnight situation.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Evaporative-Cooler-swamp-cooler/

With up to a 35 degree drop in temperature, this might be an option although expensive.  And, it does not use a bunch of water so that is a bonus.  Maybe finding internal pictures and specs it could be reversed engineered enough to make an efficient cooler for your rig.  A window AC unit just uses too much electricity and will require a generator to run all night.  I'm looking for a quieter and more efficient option that can use what the solar panels can produce to run the blower and the price of water is far less than the price of gasoline.

http://southwest-solar.com/productcatalog/item.nhtml?profile=productcatalog&UID=111

I only use freshwater in my swampcooler, that prevent any type of smells and will also keep your evaporator pad from getting clogged. 

The bucket design swampcooler uses the blue duracool pad which gets clogged just using freshwater, that pad is usually good for about 3 months of constant use then the impuritys in the water gets caught in the pad and restricts airflow. The pad is cheap enough to replace.

The southwest solar karkool uses the same evaporator pad I use "celdek", it works extremely well and I can attest to the claims that it last 5 years, doesnt get clogged like the duracool. To me it seems to cool better then the duracool, but it wont work on the bucket designs, its thick and wont bend. When new the celdek pad has a wet cardboard smell but it goes away after several days of use. 

Swampy sells a 12 volt swampcooler that doesnt use any water pumps, they are expensive and the evaporater pads looked like the duracool so they will probably get clogged. I read reports they are good for 100 hours of use.

I build my own swampcoolers, they are all based on the bucket swampcooler design but using different container for my needs. You need a container, 12 volt water pump, evaporator pad, 12 volt fan, switches, wiring, tubing. All parts available on ebay or home depot. You build to your own specifications. You can even use a large car radiater fan (about 20 dollars on ebay) and build something like the window swampcooler, those use about 6 amps of power well within the range of most solar systems. 
Swampcoolers work best in a heavily insulated vehicule. I use mine everyday, even in the winter the van gets hot as soon as the sun hits it. They do work but only if used properly and it has a supply of outside air. If you put it inside your van it wont cool unless you have it near an open window. Even when the humidity is high I rather have the swampcooler blowing air on me then just a regular fan. In humid conditions, the temperature drop just wont be as large, but it will still be better than regular fan. 

below pictures of one I built using 1x 120mm fan, 2x 12 volt water pumps, this one uses about 4 liters of water on a hot day. 
swamp2.jpg
swamp inside 1 amp.jpg
swamp resize.jpg

Attachments

• swamp inside 1 amp.jpg
    swamp inside 1 amp.jpg
    145.9 KB
  • swamp resize.jpg
    swamp resize.jpg
    49.8 KB
  • swamp2.jpg
    swamp2.jpg
    89.3 KB
I wonder why the have the Sonoran and Mojave deserts marked as less than ideal. I mean, evaporative coolers work best in arid climates (and worst in humid climates). Is it that evap coolers are just too wimpy for triple-digit heat?

MrNoodly said:
I wonder why the have the Sonoran and Mojave deserts marked as less than ideal. I mean, evaporative coolers work best in arid climates (and worst in humid climates). Is it that evap coolers are just too wimpy for triple-digit heat?
They can only take 18- 20 degrees F off the temp of the incoming air, and it has to be a once-thru system. A few manufacturers claim "up to" 25 deg, but that's when the sun, moon & stars all line up just right. So if the humidity is quite low, say 20% or lower, and the outside air temp is not over 90F, and you have good clean air flow thru and out of, the space you're cooling - they can work.

If you wanna experience humidity come to the St.Louis area. I believe that's the only place in the world you can drown walking around on a sunny day. On a positive note, it's a great place to live if you are a frog.

If you are limited in space, you can build a small swampcooler. Below is a picture of the smallest one I built, it was about half the size of a regular size one. It use the same components as the larger ones. In 6 months that I tested it as my source of cooling it was more than adequate for daily use. Only drawback is it only holds about 4 hours of water but not a big issue. This one fit almost anywhere. No need to build a large one to get a cooling effect.

I encountered triple digit heat, its rare, but wouldnt want to be without my swampcooler. It struggles during those temperatures but any hot humid air going through the evaporator pads will get a cooling effect. Something is better than nothing, especially when you are only spending less than 3 amps of power. In 5 years of using swampcoolers I never encountered a day where I said its too hot, I need to get out of my van and I'm always parked in the sun, with all my windows/doors/vents closed. 

I wouldnt pay too much attention to the map, or let it discourage you from building your own swampcooler, unless you actually tried a swampcooler in that area you wouldnt really know if it would work for you. Some areas you might not get the best performance but you will still get a cooling effect which might be good enough for your own comfort level. From my own use I know it works in humid conditions. But if I lived in a high humid area, I would definitely build a giant one, with a large evaporator pad and maybe 2x 9 inch car radiator fans to push alot of air through the pads, nothing beats horsepower in keeping cool. 

small swampcooler
a small celdek.jpg

Attachments

• a small celdek.jpg
    a small celdek.jpg
    62.5 KB
Motrukdriver said:
If you wanna experience humidity come to the St.Louis area.  I believe that's the only place in the world you can drown walking around on a sunny day.  On a positive note, it's a great place to live if you are a frog.

Ever been to Miami?

:)

I lived in St.Louis many years, I was thinking more of Louisiana , when I was there it was like breathing rain on a sunny day. lol

drysailor said:
They can only take 18- 20 degrees F off the temp of the incoming air, and it has to be a once-thru system. A few manufacturers claim "up to" 25 deg, but that's when the sun, moon & stars all line up just right. So if the humidity is quite low, say 20% or lower, and the outside air temp is not over 90F, and you have good clean air flow thru and out of, the space you're cooling - they can work.

Take the SUN out of the above, and yeah, maybe 25 degrees less. The bottom line is if it is hot as F*** outside then 18 degrees less than 115* is still 97 and now you have this little box throwing humidity at you too...

Get up in the higher elevations where it might reach 95 or so and that swamp cooler will make it quite comfortable. Plus, the humidity will help with the dry air a bunch. If it gets too high you could always use one of those USB powered dehumidifiers and take the moisture out of the air. You only need the evaporation to cool the air so the humidity does not need to stay inside the rig. All together it is still far less energy to run them than a compressor AC unit and very doable with solar.

The roof AC in my 28 foot travel trailer in which I full time with my dog, died last year in the middle of a heatwave in the middle of July in east part of San Diego with temps over 100.  Moving was not an option (fixing AC - long story - suffice it to say that the evap solution works so great the AC unit still needs replacing).  

I removed one of the RV windows, built a stand and jammed up to the window the huge Bonaire Durango Window Evaporative Cooler https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bonaire...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-304156139-_-204679889-_-N  I paid like $500 and it weights about 100 lbs, wouldn't fit into an SUV, had to get a neighbor to come and get it with a truck, I would have had it delivered to my site had I realized that.  My neighbor upon seeing this beast told me that the heat must have fried my brains.  The unit says will cool 1600 sq ft house.  I figured if it would do that it can handle my small 28 foot trailer.

I used it all last summer and never took it down from the window because we never really got much of a winter this past year.  I absolutely love LOVE LOVE this monstrasity.  I know there is one guy who makes evap cooler for RV roofs but they're like $3K.   Having lived many years in FL I do not miss the humidity and I quite dislike air conditioning plus the expense and waste of energy.  I'm also forced to leave my dog unattended in the trailer and I'm always worried that a circuit will pop (used to happen during heatwaves when everyone sucks the AC power) or for whatever reason the electric goes down, then she would be stuck here with all doors/windows closed.  With the evap cooler you at least leave the windows open and my circuit never pops, only use is a water pump and fan, I pull the plug on everything else to make sure to keep my usage down.  

My trailer is of cheap paper, plastic, and styrofoam with fiberglass exterior coat variety, in the winter I can feel the air moving through it, it's a sieve.  This evap cooler is a 1000% improvement, having a window open is what you need to keep the air circulating.  I leave one window open at the other end of the trailer so the cool air needs to pass through the entire space.  I read that what makes some of those room sized evap coolers not work is if they recirculate the interior air, turns hot and dry into hot and muggy, once humidity goes up it stops working.  In my experience it's important to keep the air moving in and out and for my dry extreme heat conditions here this thing is absolutely perfect.  The electric bill is smaller in the summer now than in the winter.  Not only that it cool, in my opinion better than the AC, but the added moisture makes the interior so very pleasant.  If I close my eyes I can pretend I'm feeling ocean breezes.  It's true that when humidity reaches 30%+ loses its effect but it hardly gets like that around here.  I swear by this thing.  Of course this is not a solution if one is on the go unless someone handy would build a stand on the interior of the trailer and mount this cooler to the sidewall.  The unit would stick out about 4 inches, not sure if that would be legal.  I'm not going to bother with that because my plan is to put the trailer into storage.  I've been full timing in this trailer for 5 years come this 4th of July.  Day of Independence!  

Recently I bought an old ecoline van, the trailer will get stashed in storage and I want to hit the road with the van.  I plan to go to cooler regions but for business reasons will need to come and go to the current area so heat will still be an issue.  Ironically, the AC in the van isn't working either.  I'll probably get that fixed before hitting the road.  I'm thinking about scaling down this beast into yet another over sized unit, like one maybe meant for 600 sq ft and figure out a way to make it work in a van, even if it does take some real estate.  

One thing I don't really know is how much water it would use.  The Durango is hooked up directly to outside faucet and taps what it needs, of course it's very big but I have no idea how much it uses, not enough to make a notice on the water bill.  In the van of course I'd have to carry the water but I would likely only need it for brief time when stopping back into the hot areas, couple of hours here and there, I could get bag of ice for that time and I'm looking at different types of fans.  I saw the home made evap cooler unit and one thing I like about it is that you can not only customize it to fit your space but you can do more than one fan and run it on separate power supply to minimize risk of failure.  On absolutely too hot days, the dog will need to go to daycare, groomer, or I can hire dog walker (there's a bunch of them around) for a couple of hours since that is what I typically need when I have to attend some meetings.

Paczka said:
The roof AC in my 28 foot travel trailer in which I full time with my dog, died last year in the middle of a heatwave in the middle of July in east part of San Diego with temps over 100.  Moving was not an option (fixing AC - long story - suffice it to say that the evap solution works so great the AC unit still needs replacing).  

I removed one of the RV windows, built a stand and jammed up to the window the huge Bonaire Durango Window Evaporative Cooler https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bonaire...PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-304156139-_-204679889-_-N  I paid like $500 and it weights about 100 lbs, wouldn't fit into an SUV, had to get a neighbor to come and get it with a truck, I would have had it delivered to my site had I realized that.  My neighbor upon seeing this beast told me that the heat must have fried my brains.  The unit says will cool 1600 sq ft house.  I figured if it would do that it can handle my small 28 foot trailer.

I used it all last summer and never took it down from the window because we never really got much of a winter this past year.  I absolutely love LOVE LOVE this monstrasity.  I know there is one guy who makes evap cooler for RV roofs but they're like $3K.   Having lived many years in FL I do not miss the humidity and I quite dislike air conditioning plus the expense and waste of energy.  I'm also forced to leave my dog unattended in the trailer and I'm always worried that a circuit will pop (used to happen during heatwaves when everyone sucks the AC power) or for whatever reason the electric goes down, then she would be stuck here with all doors/windows closed.  With the evap cooler you at least leave the windows open and my circuit never pops, only use is a water pump and fan, I pull the plug on everything else to make sure to keep my usage down.  

My trailer is of cheap paper, plastic, and styrofoam with fiberglass exterior coat variety, in the winter I can feel the air moving through it, it's a sieve.  This evap cooler is a 1000% improvement, having a window open is what you need to keep the air circulating.  I leave one window open at the other end of the trailer so the cool air needs to pass through the entire space.  I read that what makes some of those room sized evap coolers not work is if they recirculate the interior air, turns hot and dry into hot and muggy, once humidity goes up it stops working.  In my experience it's important to keep the air moving in and out and for my dry extreme heat conditions here this thing is absolutely perfect.  The electric bill is smaller in the summer now than in the winter.  Not only that it cool, in my opinion better than the AC, but the added moisture makes the interior so very pleasant.  If I close my eyes I can pretend I'm feeling ocean breezes.  It's true that when humidity reaches 30%+ loses its effect but it hardly gets like that around here.  I swear by this thing.  Of course this is not a solution if one is on the go unless someone handy would build a stand on the interior of the trailer and mount this cooler to the sidewall.  The unit would stick out about 4 inches, not sure if that would be legal.  I'm not going to bother with that because my plan is to put the trailer into storage.  I've been full timing in this trailer for 5 years come this 4th of July.  Day of Independence!  

Recently I bought an old ecoline van, the trailer will get stashed in storage and I want to hit the road with the van.  I plan to go to cooler regions but for business reasons will need to come and go to the current area so heat will still be an issue.  Ironically, the AC in the van isn't working either.  I'll probably get that fixed before hitting the road.  I'm thinking about scaling down this beast into yet another over sized unit, like one maybe meant for 600 sq ft and figure out a way to make it work in a van, even if it does take some real estate.  

One thing I don't really know is how much water it would use.  The Durango is hooked up directly to outside faucet and taps what it needs, of course it's very big but I have no idea how much it uses, not enough to make a notice on the water bill.  In the van of course I'd have to carry the water but I would likely only need it for brief time when stopping back into the hot areas, couple of hours here and there, I could get bag of ice for that time and I'm looking at different types of fans.  I saw the home made evap cooler unit and one thing I like about it is that you can not only customize it to fit your space but you can do more than one fan and could run each fan on a separate power supply to minimize risk of failure.  On absolutely too hot days, the dog will need to go to daycare, groomer, or I can hire dog walker (there's a bunch of them around) for a couple of hours since that is what I typically need when I have to attend some meetings, expensive, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Attachments

• 20180514_174520.jpg
    20180514_174520.jpg
    1.5 MB
I have two units that work as evap coolers but they run off of 120V AC. so you would have to use a small inverter. They are actually room humidifiers from second hand stores. But be careful you don't get the type that use a heating element to evaporate the water. I got this one for $6 If I remember correctly https://www.worldwidevoltage.com/hu...googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=61865531738
It has a pump that picks up the water and pours it on top of the filters and a fan that pulls air through them. just like a regular evap cooler.
The other one uses ultrasonic frequencies to change the water into a mist. Similar to this one  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crane-1...BEgLp6fD_BwE&dclid=CNbkqNbbhtsCFcWbZAodUBsKcg

You will still need an exhaust fan as once the air becomes saturated it will stop cooling and now besides being hot, it will also be humid.
Another issue with evap coolers is they only work well in dry climates, and in those areas good water may not be easy to get or cheap. My room humidifiers can go through a gallon of water over night. So if you want to stay out for two weeks, do you have an extra 15 gallons of water to spare?

Latest posts