Eugene, Oregon Safe Havens

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Livelys

Reaction score
Hello, We are The Lively's and we've been living in our '95 GMC Safari Van for about 4 months now on the streets of Eugene, Oregon. We've found some pretty good curb camping spaces in Eugene and some not so good. Within the city limits we have a huge homeless community and the police include Vehicle Dwellers to be classified as the same. The City of Eugene Parks are hit and miss for overnight parking. The signs all say closed between 11pm and 6am but the police have overlooked this law in many areas. Downtown or near the River is still hot and we do not recommend parking overnight in those areas but almost everywhere else is OK. Not great but OK. The police will take down your license plate if they see you frequently. Why? Gathering evidence we imagine. Walmart is a dump and they regularly make a sweep through and clear everyone out. There are many other areas. If anyone here would like more detailed info, we would be glad to pass on some ideas.

why stay in eugene when you are surrounded by national forests?

Livelys, I'll probably be contacting you in a few months, when I get back to Oregon. I was offered a job in Eugene and will be checking it out. I've spent a few nights in Springfield, mostly at Winco. There are a couple Anytime Fitness gyms in the area, so I do have places to shower. Will be checking out the homeless shelters for occasional meals too.
I respect people that can handle the Oregon winter weather! I'm a wuss and head south when it starts freezing.

My wife, Marian is finishing up her degree in film studies at the U of O but this is her last term. We are waiting to get her diploma and then we are on the road again. Yes, it is cold and wet here and I'm a wuss about it too. We have a mountain of blankets we crawl under at night. We have to stay stealth in the city because we have to get to campus every morning. She's taking 13 credits, has an internship plus a part time job so she's there 5 days a week. We have to stay in town because the Public Lands are at least 40 miles away. We got a membership at the YMCA so that's where we get our showers. The city parks in Eugene are usually tolerant of Van Dwellers but the more Hippified your Rig looks the more they mess with you. We're undercover Hippies so we look fairly conservative. Right now we're parked at Amazon Park. It has free public WiFi if you park in the right spots. It's pretty weak but Im using it right now so good enough. There's public toilets but they are only open from 9am to 11pm. There are trash cans big enough to get rid of our daily amounts. Some folks spend the night at this park and are getting away with it but we prefer to sleep on back streets where it's a little less obvious. There are some decent places for longer term curb camping on the far west side of town past the Walmart. Check out the industrial parks all around that area and you see many others doing the same thing. Eugene is loaded with folks living in their vehicles. Most of them keep to themselves. Typical attitude in most cities I guess.

When I left SF I thought about heading up into the PNW, was told it was very beautiful. But then I checked the weather forecast. Now I'm headed south along the Central Valley.

Curb camping seems to be a West Coast phenomenon. I come from back East and never noticed it back there, even in the beach towns. Most cities require resident permits for overnight street parking.

Livelys

I will be beginning a truck camper journey within the next few days and, even though I would be a bit more obvious, I was wondering if you noticed rv's and campers where you frequent and perhaps, some specific locations where you think they might be as welcome as a van.

The West Side is pretty good for bigger rigs like 5th wheels. Go west on 11th past Walmart about a mile and take a right on Ed Cone and then the first left is Owen Loop. You'll see a few rigs there right now. We've used it every weekend for months a while back but it's getting kinda trashy. A truck with a cabover camper could get away with curb camping all over Eugene though. I like the South side mostly. Go to the Amazon Park on Hilyard and talk to some of the vehicle dwellers you see there for local day to day happenings. That whole neighborhood is a good one for stealth curb camping. Lots of little neighborhood parks with big trees and level streets. Around the University is bad. I parked near the YMCA one night and lost my side mirror to someone flying by at 3 in the morning. Downtown and any of the parks around the Willamette River are bad spots and the cops will move you along or ticket you there.

Hi livelys!
   I've just lost my rental but fortunately have a 1983 getaway van 
Plan to curbside here in Eugene... Couple years have gone by so wondering about current situation? Any advice????

I can reply with my experiences it's ok with you. Owen loop is still available, although some of the land has been purchases and they might be clearing out the area to begin building. I haven't been there in a while. We were asked to move once from there, but the cop was friendly and it was in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend and we were given to days to do so. Apparently, they clear out the area a couple times a year...no biggie.

We haven't stayed by any parks yet so that will still be up to the Livelys to fill you in on. Springfield Walmart is a decent place, but there were some rowdy neighbors that got the cops called on them last week.

International court in Springfield is a decent place by motel 6, but there is currently an abandoned school bus and rv, so not sure how good it's going to be in the near future.

Commercial avenue in Springfield has a wide gravel area on the north side of the road across from Stafek & Son trucking. We've parked there quite a few times.

Occasionally, we have stayed on S 54th in springfield right next to the Safeway as well.

I've been meaning to check on the possibility of camping at Valley River Center, but I've been lazy.

I've heard of people also staying at Winco in springfield, but there are signs up that prohibit that, so stay at your own risk.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Just a quick update for Springfield walmart. They finally enforced the no overnight parking rule, so steer clear for a while

Valley River Center, you have to be self contained as in gray, black and fresh tanks to be able to stay. You can stay 2 days if you are.

There are a dozen or more places to stay in the area, I just wanted to give people a heads up

Do any of you in the area know any good spots on the edge of eugene or springfield, where one could "camp" for a few days to a week without being super worried about being harassed or having to move? Temporarily trying to stealth in the area while fixing up and remodeling an older A class before hopefully leaving the state, and kinda have to be able to be semi obvious and stationary due to the remodeling process. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or general tips  :)

Photogal39Travels said:
Valley River Center, you have to be self contained as in gray, black and fresh tanks to be able to stay. You can stay 2 days if you are.

Campers also now have to have an address or on their ID for out of town because they're trying to keep it from being the next Walmart. However, my address is for Junction City and security said that was far enough out apparently, so they are pretty relaxed about how far out of town you have to be from.

The Livelys said:
Hello, We are The Lively's and we've been living in our '95 GMC Safari Van for about 4 months now on the streets of Eugene, Oregon. We've found some pretty good curb camping spaces in Eugene and some not so good. Within the city limits we have a huge homeless community and the police include Vehicle Dwellers to be classified as the same. The City of Eugene Parks are hit and miss for overnight parking. The signs all say closed between 11pm and 6am but the police have overlooked this law in many areas. Downtown or near the River is still hot and we do not recommend parking overnight in those areas but almost everywhere else is OK. Not great but OK. The police will take down your license plate if they see you frequently. Why? Gathering evidence we imagine. Walmart is a dump and they regularly make a sweep through and clear everyone out. There are many other areas. If anyone here would like more detailed info, we would be glad to pass on some ideas.

Hello Lively's, We are the Stearns's. My wife, daughter and I are considering moving into a motorhome here in Eugene so that I can focus more on school (rent is quite high and only going up). I would love any helpful wisdom you would have to share including how safe you feel living mobile here in Eugene.

Thanks

AuroraScott said:
Campers also now have to have an address or on their ID for out of town because they're trying to keep it from being the next Walmart. However, my address is for Junction City and security said that was far enough out apparently, so they are pretty relaxed about how far out of town you have to be from.

Security Guards just want someone to talk to and help keep them awake until the end of the shift rolls around: really. Me TV and studying gets old, unless the Twilight Zone is showing on the 3rd shift.

othatoneguyo said:
I can reply with my experiences it's ok with you. Owen loop is still available, although some of the land has been purchases and they might be clearing out the area to begin building. I haven't been there in a while. We were asked to move once from there, but the cop was friendly and it was in the middle of the afternoon on a weekend and we were given to days to do so. Apparently, they clear out the area a couple times a year...no biggie.

We haven't stayed by any parks yet so that will still be up to the Livelys to fill you in on. Springfield Walmart is a decent place, but there were some rowdy neighbors that got the cops called on them last week.

International court in Springfield is a decent place by motel 6, but there is currently an abandoned school bus and rv, so not sure how good it's going to be in the near future.

Commercial avenue in Springfield has a wide gravel area on the north side of the road across from Stafek & Son trucking. We've parked there quite a few times.

Occasionally, we have stayed on S 54th in springfield right next to the Safeway as well.

I've been meaning to check on the possibility of camping at Valley River Center, but I've been lazy.

I've heard of people also staying at Winco in springfield, but there are signs up that prohibit that, so stay at your own risk.

I hope this helps and good luck to you.

We are in a van, and having extremely difficult time finding places to park in Eugene.  Any tips? Owens loop has thesd

Ive stayed in The Toys R Us lot on the other side of the mall, the security guard told me about it. I've never been bothered or hassled even with having the trailer now. I use Barns & nobles bathroom, eat/drink at starbucks that inside at times and read books/magazines. There is a plug outlet in magazine area, I didnt see any outlets in the starbuck cafe area. I've been doing this since July/Aug of this year and also stayed there in July of last year checking out Eugene. The camp ground