Eternalbond and flexable panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
I have often seen it mentioned that people use Eternalbond to mount flexable panels to a roof. I never paid attention because I don't like flex panels. They don't last, they don't produce the same as the ridged panels and they cost more.

Today I was removing five 150 watt flex panels taped down with Eternalbond. The heat from the panels being directly on the roof had softened the adhesive to the point that it  would have been pretty easy to get it off of the hot plastic and with little more effort the rubber roof itself. In a few spots the tape had released off of the plastic edges and water was building up under the panels.

This isn't surprising considering heat is a main factor of removing Eternalbond.

So if you have or are using Eternalbond on your flex panels, you might check on them often especially on hot summer days.

Well, I would have never thought to try using Eternabond tape for anything other than sealing out water along a seam.
Wouldn't think it was a good option to "tape" anything down. Too little shear strength. Specially something large that is exposed to the elements and can travel at 70 mph.
Good first hand heads-up.

Yikes! I’ve only seen it used to seal the edges to keep water from getting under panels.

Mine are attached with VHB and I worry about not having an insulation layer. No issues so far in almost 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it to seal a hole in the bottom of one of my kayaks after a failed first attempt at plastic welding. Fortunately the cool water is preventing it from coming off at my ultra high paddling speeds of a few knots going down the lake! Lol!

Not surprised. I don't trust adhesives anywhere on my van after I spent a summer in Arizona. The price is tempting though compared to an actual rack.