Essa, The Astro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannedsquatch

Reaction score
So, I guess I should start a thread about my current situation...
It started 3 months ago when I was looking over my bills, trying to get out of debt, and get my life to be mine.
I began asking around friends and such if they had vans and one had an old astro cargo van that needed brake work for $450... I bought it and moved in.
Now, people complain about the size of vans, and ask about how they would fit into said vehicles, I'm 6'7", 270 LB... the van has a bulkhead that removes 3" of space in the rear, but I can still stretch out on my bed and sleep really comfortably

The first steps were to buy the basics, I have two sets of camping utensils, a Coleman propane single burner stove, a 10" cast iron skillet, a camping bowl/plate, a 4 gallon water jug with a spigot, 4 boxes of waterproof matches, and a propane bottle all under $150 at dicks sporting goods.
My hygiene kit is made of a modified firearms cleaning kit that was issued to me, but was never on my clothing record, and it contains a toothbrush, shaving soap, shaving brush, double edged merkur safety razor, 60 double edged feather blades, my roll on deodorant, and my shaving mug is attached on the side.
next is the sleeping accomodation, I scored a free foam mattress that I can stretch out on, on one side of the rear...
My clothes are stored in a pelican case that I got from a conex (shipping container) for free In Kuwait...
Service wise, I had to clean to points on the distributor cap, and the rotor to solve some small ignition issues, and now it starts like a dream, just need to replace the front brake lines because they are rusty.
I hope to carry this post further into the leading months, and would love to receive Ideas to further utilize the available space I have, also I plan to do the brake lines myself as I am one of the last young shade tree mechanics left, and love to do my own work...
So... give me suggestions...

As a caveat, I have been living like this for a week and a half... and I work a full time job...

Edited out double post...

Astro vans are cool, I have one. What year is it and how many miles. Be aware of the notorious fuel pump, they typically fail at least once every 100,000 miles. When it fails, you will not be moving anywhere. It might be a good idea to have one on standby if its been more than 50K miles. Keeping no less than a quarter tank prolongs the fuel pump life, as it was designed to be cooled by the gasoline in the tank.

Sounds great! I love a simple build!

I believe its a 94, and its well into the 150 k range, also to remedy the fuel pump, I'm probably just gonna get the dimensions and cut a shallow access port into it.
Its a simple van for a simple guy...
One thing I forgot is the bathroom, I filled the washer res, and use that as a urinal at night...