Escape in New York

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojoalb1

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on how to become a nomad from where I’m at now.
I am located in upstate New York and am currently in a motel paying 250 a week.
I own a 2005 Honda Civic with 90k miles that has been a lot of work maintaining but I think it is in fairly reliable condition now. It is a 2 door with a trunk not a hatchback. I have not upgraded to a van or suv because of prices nowadays and I think I can do it in my car if need be.
I have lived here all my life and love camping in NY. I am a senior citizen (71) and wil be tenting. In NY a senior can use the state campgrounds free for day use,meaning you can use their amenities like showers and picnic sites free all day long you just need to find a campsite at night.
My plan is to take advantage of this in the ADK mtns this spring summer and fall. At which point I will probably head south.
I have all my worldly possessions in this motel room and the plan is to use a small 5x5 heated storage space I can rent for 57 a month. And that includes insurance. I plan on moving out of the motel when weather allows. I was camping all last summer and fall on a friends property I rented cheap.I can still do this, but it is for sale so that complicates it.
The car is paid off and I have about $45k saved. I only have soc sec of $1300 a month income.
My questions are:
1) What solar setup should I go with?
2) DC cooler or ice?
3) Best tent, I have a nice 2 man nylon tent that is old. I would like to get something with a stove jack, probably cotton canvas. What size,what brand, and all the other stuff like shape etc.
Thanks in advance
Al

First off how physically able are you to deal with a heavy canvas tent and how often will you set up and take down? Something like the Springbar tent that was on Bob Wells YouTube channel is probably close to 100 lbs. It can be put up and taken down by one person especially if you use a battery powered impact driver and lag bolts for stakes. I’m 71 years old but after carrying/dragging a close to 100 pound bag and manhandling a 10’ x 14’ ground cloth and floored tent in to position then driving 16 stakes only to have to lift canvass and poles under tension into place I’m pretty tired. I usually try to time my take down days to where I can travel to a motel for the night, take a long hot shower to relax my strained muscles and arrive at my next camp spot early the next day so I have a almost full day to set up camp at a leisurely pace. Weather also has a huge impact as you can’t stow away a wet canvas tent without damaging it in most cases. Your Honda probably isn’t capable of carrying the amount of gear you will need to comfortably live in a canvas tent full time in even mild weather. I carry 4 totes 20” x 30” besides the tent and poles originally in a Toyota Tacoma truck but latter on in a small utility trailer as I shifted into “glamping” with a hot water shower, shower tent, generator, kitchen set with sink, Buddy heater with a 20 lb propane bottle and a couple camping chairs. I used the totes to form a 20” wide 80” long sleeping platform with a piece of plywood as a top for my Thermorest mattress. I avoided cold foods and drinks other than ones I consumed immediately. If you need cold storage it is hard to beat the EcoFlow Delta 2 with solar for powering a 12 volt compressor fridge but solar takes a lot of room so finding out the best way for you to keep the Delta 2 charged will possibly be a challenge. A simple backpacking set up may be best for you or even removing the passenger and back seat to create a sleeping area, then simply supplement that with an easy to erect shade structure in my opinion. As long as you have a comfortable safe place to sleep out of the weather much like the people in Prius cars that have climate control do you will be fine and probably better off I would highly recommend you look at a older Prius if you are going to need a heater or ac in the areas you will be camping in.

Last edited:
First off how physically able are you to deal with a heavy canvas tent and how often will you set up and take down? Something like the Springbar tent that was on Bob Wells YouTube channel is probably close to 100 lbs. It can be put up and taken down by one person especially if you use a battery powered impact driver and lag bolts for stakes. I’m 71 years old but after carrying/dragging a close to 100 pound bag and manhandling a 10’ x 14’ ground cloth and floored tent in to position then driving 16 stakes only to have to lift canvass and poles under tension into place I’m pretty tired. I usually try to time my take down days to where I can travel to a motel for the night, take a long hot shower to relax my strained muscles and arrive at my next camp spot early the next day so I have a almost full day to set up camp at a leisurely pace. Weather also has a huge impact as you can’t stow away a wet canvas tent without damaging it in most cases. Your Honda probably isn’t capable of carrying the amount of gear you will need to comfortably live in a canvas tent full time in even mild weather. I carry 4 totes 20” x 30” besides the tent and poles originally in a Toyota Tacoma truck but latter on in a small utility trailer as I shifted into “glamping” with a hot water shower, shower tent, generator, kitchen set with sink, Buddy heater with a 20 lb propane bottle and a couple camping chairs. I used the totes to form a 20” wide 80” long sleeping platform with a piece of plywood as a top for my Thermorest mattress. I avoided cold foods and drinks other than ones I consumed immediately. If you need cold storage it is hard to beat the EcoFlow Delta 2 with solar for powering a 12 volt compressor fridge but solar takes a lot of room so finding out the best way for you to keep the Delta 2 charged will possibly be a challenge. A simple backpacking set up may be best for you or even removing the passenger and back seat to create a sleeping area, then simply supplement that with an easy to erect shade structure in my opinion. As long as you have a comfortable safe place to sleep out of the weather much like the people in Prius cars that have climate control do you will be fine and probably better off I would highly recommend you look at a older Prius if you are going to need a heater or ac.
I can probably go with a smaller tent than that 10x14 Springbar. I may not even need a stove tent. In NY anyway. I like the wood stove in a tent concept though and will probably go with it.
Today, health is good but arthritis is making me feel like any of several important joints could blow out at any time.
My main concerns are what solar setup to go with. I like the Bluetti p200 max, but is it too big.
Also, dc cooler sounds like the way to go over ice.
Thanks for the response Bullfrog
Al

I am also in upstate NY (Albany area), and am in love with the ADKs. I try to get camping up there at least once a month. For free camping areas, I love the NYSDEC primitive camping in Moose River Plains and Silver Lake Wild Forest. I have a 6x12 converted cargo trailer. I love the Bluetti solar gens, I actually have 2, the smaller 500w and the 1500w. I have an industrial 400w solar panel mounted to the roof, but before I got that I used twin 100w panels I bought from Amazon for about $90 each. I use the 1500w Bluetti to power my 55 quart 12v fridge, and even with no sun I can run the fridge for 4-5 days. My fridge is way too big for your car, plus with just one person you probably won't need one that big anyway. So a smaller fridge wou!d use even less power. The smaller Bluetti would run my fridge with no recharging for about 38 hrs. For panels small enough for your car, you'll definitely need to go with small suitcase style or flexible panels, but if you can afford it I'd try to get at least 200watts.
Would love to meet up with ya sometime, ive got several trips planned already up there this summer, as I am retiring myself in June.

I am also in upstate NY (Albany area), and am in love with the ADKs. I try to get camping up there at least once a month. For free camping areas, I love the NYSDEC primitive camping in Moose River Plains and Silver Lake Wild Forest. I have a 6x12 converted cargo trailer. I love the Bluetti solar gens, I actually have 2, the smaller 500w and the 1500w. I have an industrial 400w solar panel mounted to the roof, but before I got that I used twin 100w panels I bought from Amazon for about $90 each. I use the 1500w Bluetti to power my 55 quart 12v fridge, and even with no sun I can run the fridge for 4-5 days. My fridge is way too big for your car, plus with just one person you probably won't need one that big anyway. So a smaller fridge wou!d use even less power. The smaller Bluetti would run my fridge with no recharging for about 38 hrs. For panels small enough for your car, you'll definitely need to go with small suitcase style or flexible panels, but if you can afford it I'd try to get at least 200watts.
Would love to meet up with ya sometime, ive got several trips planned already up there this summer, as I am retiring myself in June.
Looks like you have a real nice setup there Big Rock. I think I’ll look into going with 2 units, one for an electric cooler and one for everything else.
We will have to look each other up because I’m not far from you (Saratoga area).
Thanks for the input
Al

If you were planning to leave NY when the weather breaks, could you get a trailer hitch installed on your 05 Honda to tow a U-Haul trailer with your belongings towed in it ?
If you were going south you could sleep in the trailer as you traveled if you had a heater.
I'd only go with an ice chest for refrigeration for the trip. Of course you would need to inquire about renting such a trailer "one way" and explain that you may have if for a few days for the duration of the trip.

Once you arrive (where ever you are wanting to go) you could rent a storage room which wouldn't have to be very large for your gear. (4 x 8) Then your sleeping gear, clothing, etc could stow in the trunk. A membership to one of the national Gym's (I cite Planet Fitness as they have "sales" on membership this time of year) so that if you buy their black card you can use any of their locations all you would want. Using free State Park campgrounds
where they have Senior days (like Sunday evening until Thursday evenings) could save you $$$ on your trip.

This would be a low bucks strategy (trailer hitch install, Trailer rental, Gym membership) to get underway. You may find someone who would trade a Van on your Honda too once you get to where you want to be.

rav4_uhaul_5x8_1.jpg

If you were planning to leave NY when the weather breaks, could you get a trailer hitch installed on your 05 Honda to tow a U-Haul trailer with your belongings towed in it ?
If you were going south you could sleep in the trailer as you traveled if you had a heater.
I'd only go with an ice chest for refrigeration for the trip. Of course you would need to inquire about renting such a trailer "one way" and explain that you may have if for a few days for the duration of the trip.

Once you arrive (where ever you are wanting to go) you could rent a storage room which wouldn't have to be very large for your gear. (4 x 8) Then your sleeping gear, clothing, etc could stow in the trunk. A membership to one of the national Gym's (I cite Planet Fitness as they have "sales" on membership this time of year) so that if you buy their black card you can use any of their locations all you would want. Using free State Park campgrounds
where they have Senior days (like Sunday evening until Thursday evenings) could save you $$$ on your trip.

This would be a low bucks strategy (trailer hitch install, Trailer rental, Gym membership) to get underway. You may find someone who would trade a Van on your Honda too once you get to where you want to be.

rav4_uhaul_5x8_1.jpg
I looked up towing in the owners manual on this car to see how much it could tow. It said “Do not tow with this car”. Other than that, you had a good plan eDJ.
Your plan is a good one though and I will keep it in mind as matters unfold.
Thanks
Al

Just for fun Goggle hexayurt or Paul Jenkins shelters at the Burning Man events. It will get your mind working! Lol!!! Another good site is tnttt.com and the foamies thread. You might be able to carry foam panels on a roof rack which you will probably need for a solar panel anyway if you go that route. There is also a towing section. You might get away with very light weight motorcycle trailer. Towing recommendations vary by country.

If it is just you and a small weight / load of possessions and the trailer isn't very heavy, you may get by with towing with your Honda Civic. How much would all of your possessions weigh ? The remaining question would be what the small rental trailer weighs.

Honda Civics are designed to carry up to 850 lbs — cargo and passengers combined. With the aid of a trailer hitch, your Honda Civic can handle light-duty towing. Luckily, there are many aftermarket tow hitches out there to suit your needs.

This Car & Driver article explains it. but ultimately it is up to you to decide.

How to chose a trailer hitch for a Honda Civic

Looks like you have a real nice setup there Big Rock. I think I’ll look into going with 2 units, one for an electric cooler and one for everything else.
We will have to look each other up because I’m not far from you (Saratoga area).
Thanks for the input
Al
Also, for more ideas in living in a car, check out the YouTube channel by Nikki Delventhal. She's a young (33) girl who spent the last 3 yrs living with her dog in a Prius. She's upgraded now to a van, but there's tons of older videos of how she made her Prius life work. She's real easy on the eyes, too.
Feel free to send me a private message through the forum (I think you can still do that) and we can exchange contact info.

On looking a little deaper..........

A receiver hitch may cost $150 to $200 with install extra. Wiring to trailer I'm not sure. U-Haul does sell and install this equipment.

Enclosed4x8Large.png

Their website states the weight of these 4 X 8 trailers as 850 lbs. With a folding Cot inside it you could sleep in it. storing goods under the Cot in boxes. Just depends on how much stuff you have to stow in the trailer.

U-Haul website 4 X 8 Trailer

Although Honda states that it doesn't recommend towing with the Civic in the owners manual.....it may be more with concern to the vehicle's warranty. With 90K miles it would likely be past warranty now. And if you are wanting to only go one way...south to relocate....you may not tax the Honda that much.

The "Driver Adviser" website reviews the Honda Civics towing capability.

Driver Adviser Towing with the Honda Civic

rav4_uhaul_5x8_1.jpg
I plan on staying north for thr warm weather months and then heading south. There are several reasons why it did not happen this year. One of which is the car overheated twice on a earlier road-trip and it took a while to sort things out. The car also had electrical issues I’m also recovering from black mold sickness that I got from an apt I had for 15 years.
Also, I think used vehicle prices are going to drop and I may be able to pick up an suv or some such thing.

I own a 2005 Honda Civic with 90k miles that has been a lot of work maintaining but I think it is in fairly reliable condition now. It is a 2 door with a trunk not a hatchback. I have not upgraded to a van or suv because of prices nowadays and I think I can do it in my car if need be.
I have lived here all my life and love camping in NY. I am a senior citizen (71) and wil be tenting. In NY a senior can use the state campgrounds free for day use,meaning you can use their amenities like showers and picnic sites free all day long you just need to find a campsite at night.
My plan is to take advantage of this in the ADK mtns this spring summer and fall. At which point I will probably head south.
I have all my worldly possessions in this motel room and the plan is to use a small 5x5 heated storage space I can rent for 57 a month. And that includes insurance. I plan on moving out of the motel when weather allows. I was camping all last summer and fall on a friends property I rented cheap.I can still do this, but it is for sale so that complicates it.
The car is paid off and I have about $45k saved. I only have soc sec of $1300 a month income.
My questions are:
2) DC cooler or ice?
3) Best tent, I have a nice 2 man nylon tent that is old. I would like to get something with a stove jack, probably cotton canvas. What size,what brand, and all the other stuff like shape etc.
Thanks in advance
Al
Hi there. I happen to know from several sources that the prices on used vehicles is currently nose-diving and is expected to continue to drop over the next 5 weeks. I just purchased a beautiful 2002 Honda Odyssey (180,000 mi) for $4,000. There are some great deals out there if you search for them. Especially if you can pay cash. I have owned 3 Honda Civics and I loved them all, but too small for me to imagine living out of.

Hi there. I happen to know from several sources that the prices on used vehicles is currently nose-diving and is expected to continue to drop over the next 5 weeks. I just purchased a beautiful 2002 Honda Odyssey (180,000 mi) for $4,000. There are some great deals out there if you search for them. Especially if you can pay cash. I have owned 3 Honda Civics and I loved them all, but too small for me to imagine living out of.
That’s what I’m looking for, a good deal but while waiting I’ve spent time and money fixing up the Civic. I’m hoping to enjoy it for a while not spending on repairs.

My questions are:
2) DC cooler or ice?
Thanks in advance
Al
Hi Al, Read your post of Jan 2023 re how to become a nomad. Wonder how your 2023-24 winter is going. You mentioned going south to camp during this period, but I think camping in the East is vastly different than out here in the southwest.
For example, here in AZ and NM, the 14-day limit on public land is becoming less and less enforced. Which means you
don't have the constant big job of tearing down a big heavy tent, packing a tiny car....repeat. There are places here in AZ
where I stay put for months at a time. NM has an annual State Park pass for $225, and you can move among 35
parks which range in elevation from 3000 ft to 8000 ft. Not to mention the humidity in the East exacerbates the discomfort
when the temps drop. Not so in the West so much. So, that being said, if I were writing this in Jan of 2023, before your Odyssey, I would have suggested losing the Honda and add a bit of your savings to get a 10-12-year- old high-top
van.
Besides security, protection from the elements, high resale if you want to change, and the ability to "stealth camp"
(look it up) esp if you are traveling back to NY often. One last thought: one largely learns this lifestyle from others.
Hence, being among many veterans of different stripes is invaluable. The LTVA areas in western AZ has been
mentioned. Not mention are the groups one can join and travel with for weeks or months at a time. Two that are
pretty well known are the LOWs (Loners On Wheels), and the WINS (Wandering Individuals Network). You might find
learning more about them. quite interesting. The leaders of these plan months-long itineraries, to follow the seasons.
Don't know if their activities extend east of the Mississippi.

A final comment on Honda vs van or small class C motorhome, living out of a car is usually because one has
few if any resources. That is not your case. Best of luck and good friends for another decade or two. Dan H

There are deals on mini vans if you catch them quick. 2 years ago we found a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with about 70k miles on it & all the options available, many I don't want like 2 TV screens in the back but I do like the rear seat that converts to a rear facing seat & is stow & go at the push of a button. It was rust/damage free from the south but sold here in MI for $4k. What your car brings you can put toward your next vehicle. It can tow 3800# but I don't think you'd need to tow anything. Just MHO. Good Luck!

If you plan on driving everyday or so you can get a couple devices that let's your car charge your house battery so you may not need to carry solar in your Honda.

With most of the US population living in the east and along the Pacific coast, there is just a lot more "living space" in between the two for Nomads to make our homes. Then when you decide to avoid the northern cold, it sort of pushes us toward the southwest.

I'd just leave already... keep it simple. You have plenty of income. Just get rid of your excess material possessions and start driving south for the winter. Don't over-complicate things by buying solar and a heavy tent first. You'll figure out what you need as you travel. There will be plenty of time to go into stores and shop around then. Also... solar? If you have to have a power station it could be easier to recharge it from your car's battery as you travel. That's what I did. I found the small portable solar panel I bought to be comparatively inefficient and it took all day to get even a small charge.

I agree with TravelAround, just start driving, keep it simple and you will find what you really need. Reduce your need for electricity by looking for a low-wattage kettle and a low-wattage hot pot. You can cook with just that. Small power station like Bluetti EB3A can be had new for around $200. A small fridge uses less power than big fridge. Sleeping bag (a cheap 40° one is like $20) and a real wool "burrito bag" will let you sleep down to freezing. Add a thin liner to the sleeping bag for summer. You probably can already live out of a suitcase - you'll just find ways to reduce its size.

And...be flexible and buy cheap... no matter what you do you will change it once you start rolling... so get stuff you can easily exchange or lose along the road.