Engine probs with '02 7.3 diesel E450.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Just limped out of the mountains into Asheville, NC with some engine problems I'm having with my '02 7.3 diesel E450. Looks like I'm going to wait till shops reopen on Monday and try to get it looked at. The one guy that does 24/7 repair has such horrible reviews on Google I'm afraid to try it. Any input welcome!

The problem exhibits primarily as engine stumbling on steep grades, making top speed of 25mph highway... seems to have improved to 40mph after adding cetane boost/injector cleaner.

When I pull over, engine idles perfectly, and revs smoothly to a point (guessing 3500 rpm?) where it stumbles and will belch white smoke from exhaust. Smells strongly of diesel and pretty confident that this isn't a water issue. Repeated engine revving will keep blowing smoke, gradually clearing until get full revs, nice and smooth like there was never a problem. Resuming driving and runs fine for varying periods, seemingly related to grade/engine strain. Rinse/wash/repeat at least got me out of the mountains and to Asheville NC.

After additive added, there was an improvment.

Check Engine light appears randomly, either resetting itself or will reset when vehicle turned off.

This problem first appeared in flat FL six months ago while on first long trip after spending better part of a year just sitting, idling, or moving parking spaces. It cleared up and never caused a stumble again...but after the truck sits overnight, it takes a few revs of engine to clean out and blow a little smoke...after that, not again until it sits.

On a strange sidenote, the Overdrive "off" light started flashing just before I parked for the day.

Do you have a water seperater on the fuel filter?  When was the last time you changed the fuel filter.  I had a 94 and 99 7.3 and I changed the fuel filters way before they needed  changing and filled them with ATF when I installed them.  I would tend to think you may have condensation issues in the fuel tank.

Sure sounds like a fuel issue. You want to change the fuel filter up in the V of the block to begin with but if that doesn't do it there are screens on the in-tank fuel pickup that will clog over time exhibiting the same symptoms you describe. Not hard to clean but a pain to get at if you have to drop the tank. The OD light is flashing a code for something. Count the flashes and Google it.

I sorry I didn't see this sooner. it sounds like you have one or more injectors sticking open. this can cause significant engine damage.

first off get some one to run the codes.

servicing the fuel filter would not be a bad idea. when you remove the old filter open the water drain valve and drain the housing completely. then fill the bowl with injector cleaner. I like Lucas. also add injector cleaner to the fuel tank. then install new filter and run. let the injector cleaner run through the system at idle for 15 minutes. it will smoke during this time. when the smoke clears, drive it.

if this clears up the problem you got lucky. if not let us know, but get those codes read. highdesertranger

I had a similar van (2001 Ford E350 with 7.3 engine) and I feel bad for you as the symptoms are similar to what I had (valve rocker arm bolt breaking in half). You could be looking at a $3000 repair.