Engine battery keeps dying overnight

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, inverter and converter are 2 different things
A converter will take outside 120v AC and convert it to 12v DC to run your lights and such while you're on shore power
An inverter turns 12v DC to 120V AC
The display thing is a converter, it shows good when the RV is running because the alternator is providing charge to run all the lights, etc
the converter (thing with the lights) is plugged in, or it wouldn't light up, and that should be all you need to run lights off the house battery
the Inverter is to run 120v things on, like, say a microwave, if you had enough battery for that (don't bother, it's a power hog off shore power)
you don't need the inverter if your lights are 12v, and it sounds like they are
it sounds though as though your isolator is bad

I hope I'm being halfway clear, it's hard to type this as cogently as I can speak it (plus I type 10 WPM lol)

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Somebody with a volt meter needs to get under the hood and check a few readings in order to figure out whats going on.

this is the answer

Thank you. I think Im starting to understand but what Im still confused about is say I need to charge my laptop or something how do I hook up the inverter/converter? Does it connect to the house battery? Im sorry like I said i am very new to all of this

so

-isolator either is bad or not there
-battery is toast
- your alternator isnt really charging the cabin battery, its giving it just enough current to alter the voltmeter but not a good enough to actually charge
-you dont have an inverter at all. your 120v outlets will work when you plug the RV into something only
-if you get a standalone inverter you will plug 120v right into that, if you get a tied or combo converter-inverter then you can use the outlets off the battery

so you have to get an isolator and new starting battery. probably a new cabin battery. You will have to plug in to something and get a charger to see if you can get the cabin batt functional again.

You need some solar on the roof.

Do all this and you will have all the lights you want

When I bought my used minivan 3 years ago I had the same problem.
The name brand was o.k.
I thought the battery was fresh enough since it was 5 years old.
The group size was o.k.
But I checked what the dealer recommends for my vehicle and the cold cranking amps and reserve capacity was less then it should be.
I got the specs. from the dealer's parts department and went to Walmart and got a battery put in with those specs.
I have had zero problems in 3 years.

katsmith said:
Thank you. I think Im starting to understand but what Im still confused about is say I need to charge my laptop or something how do I hook up the inverter/converter? Does it connect to the house battery? Im sorry like I said i am very new to all of this

right now only charge it off the alternator...i.e. when the RV is running. Plug it into 12v cigarette port, on the starting battery, on the cabin battery as last choice. anywhere you got 12v coming off the alternator you can hook it to.

She already bought a new starting battery
I'm pretty sure the pictured inverter is just that, a separate inverter
have the house battery charged and tested, get the isolater issue Ironed out, you'll have limited lights
Get solar, you'll have plenty of light, as Bardo said
T this point I charge my phone via cigarette lighter plug, use an LED headlamp for light, but I'm not fulltiming that way, just overnight stays, and live in my Travel trailer on shore power

Folks, this is just a friendly reminder that many of us have limited bandwidth so we ask that you carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

It's not necessary to use the quote or reply button. Scroll to the bottom of the page and use the quick reply box. Copy and paste the relevant information.

If you're replying to the original post, or the post above, it's not necessary to quote at all.

You can respond without quoting by using a member's name, arrows (^^^) to indicate a post above

Definitely do not quote or reply to your own posts

If you do feel the need to quote remove pictures from your quote

Be kind and trim!! :)

Just got my RV back from the shop. It was the alternator. Its finally fixed and running great! Thanks to everyone for the advice and trying to help me figure out what the issue was =)

uhhhh....it made your voltmeter read "good" so....it had to be putting out a charge