Emergency Communication

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience with SPOT, inReach, arc Artex or other emergency communication devices?

-- Spiff

Overland Journal did an article on them a while ago.  It's online over on Expedition Portal:

http://expeditionportal.com/personal-locator-beacons-and-satellite-messengers/

Note that a TRUE Personal Locator Beacon requires no subscription and directly contacts the Government Search and Rescue people.

I plan to get one when I hit the road, next year.  But right now I've no personal experience with them.

Regards
John

The technology in PLBs is far superior to the Spot device. They'll work many places the Spot will not.

The PLB is better unless you just want all the features the Spot offers and are ready to pay for them.
Bob

Thanks for the responses.

OP: Thanks for the link.  I had bookmarked that article last winter and then promptly forgot about it  :s

Bob: I included the Spot because it has been on the market the longest.  They have a new unit out (gen 3) that is about $60 cheaper than the others (still requires a subscription).

I am thinking that for now I am going to just go with a boosted cell signal and see if I go to places that lack signal.  My appetite for long backpacking trips is diminishing with age.

-- Spiff

ham radio would be my choice. I like to hang out in areas where the is no cell service. with a ham you can stay in touch even if it's not an emergency. highdesertranger

A question for the Ham experienced...

Can a base and/or mobile unit be set to act as a repeater for a hand held portable?

ie....campsite vehicle left with radio in a 'repeater' or 'relay' mode while i'm hiking a mile or so away with a handheld.....bust my ass falling off a rock and need to call for help.

Some dual band mobile units have a cross band repeat function. If this feature is important in your application make sure the unit you are considering has this feature. I used to have a dual band Kenwood radio installed in my car. I would access the radio with my handheld on UHF (450 MHz) and it would repeat out on 2meters into our local repeater. Worked great. You have to remember to pause just a moment after you key up before you start talking to give the transmit side a chance to come up to power. Very handy!

Speed highway has it right. Once you start learning how to do this cross band repeater set up you have a great chance of getting heard and hearing others.

You can also read about the SOTA ham radio folks. Summits on the air is an event where people attempt to communicate in the wilderness over long distance. Get more ideas about light weight yagi antennas.

Finally you should learn about using digital CW modes. You don't have to know morse code. But it helps when trying to use low power communication methods.

Anyone care to post details on an adequate, capable, affordable radio setup with part/model numbers and other resources for putting together a system?

I have and use a SPOT. I've never used it in a real 911 emergency as of yet. But do use the tracking feature which drops a way point every 10 minutes along a path/route as I'm moving. Using what SPOT calls a SPOT Adventure web page, others can track your movements in near real time. Once I stop for the day, I turn off the tracking function and press the OK button to notify friends and family that I've arrived at my destination for the night and all is well.

IMO what makes me feel safe is the tracking function, For example; I was following a buddy of mine as he crossed into Canada on his way to Alaska using his SPOT adventure page. At one point I noticed way points being dropped along the side of the road. I called him up via cell phone to find out what was up, his motorcycle engine was blown and he was waiting for a tow. He was quite surprised by the call.

Keep in mind regarding a PLB, Delorme's iReach or even the SPOT, is that your still at the mercy of the rescue infrastructure that's in place in the area in which your in. Once that button is pressed, don't expect a squad of Marines in a Blackhawk to suddenly show up. In places like Central and South America, the person who shows up first may be a village elder on a donkey.

buy a held held "ham" radio. get your cert and on the correct band you can call for help and even talk them in to help find you.
could invest in one or two of the locator beacons devices. co$t for the $ervice$.
couple strobe lights.
flares? -fire danger-.
gun? (makes noise and three shots is a signal of distress). plus keeps the flesh eaters away.

to dust in the wind.

YAESU brand
https://www.yaesu.com/
just one of many company's.
they make a very good line of held held. my personal is the VX-8
https://www.hamradio.com/
https://www.gigaparts.com/
https://hamcity.com/
as for "extras" up to you.
a proper antenna. wire to build a emg set up. (more range, better reception)
extra batt.
chargers--wall-12 volt--solar.

the fcc has built in the laws it is good and ok for a non ham to use ham equipment to call in a emergency.