electrical problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 batteries in parallel requires shoelace like wiring to keep them balanced. Even 5 sets of 6 volts do. Three is optimal which is why I went with three 8-D batteries, to get the most capacity and the simplest wiring.

A 5000 watt inverter on 12 volt is going to require some massive feed cables. 48v is more appropriate for that wattage. Even if it is MSW, my industrial 1250w inverter has no issues running both of my 5000 BTU A/C's due to its ability to hold 2500 watts for 10 minutes. (and the microwave, a RV charging, the hot water heater, etc.)

You have 2000 watts of solar and ten batteries. On both sides of the equation you are talking a lot of power. Switches, fuses and bus bars are more than a good idea not to mention all of the wiring between the batteries will need to match that of the inverter since they too have to carry that kind of current. Having everything proper and balanced is more important with higher levels of power. Having something melt down with the amps you will be moving is simply going to be a fire hazard.

A more in depth description of your system would be nice. I'd like your rolling power system to do more than just light you up.

hi jim
although inhave mentioned credit to you for inspiring me, i in no way am placing blame on you or your amzing talent. i am notorious for taking shortcuts so accept all responsibility for my system malfunction.

update 8/21/19

just got email from renogy:

"Thank you for your patience. Our technicians have completed the testing and found the RNG-CTRL-WND30 to be defective. Please confirm the shipping address and we will have the replacement shipped out and it should be delivered within 5-6 business days. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact us."

would one cc crash the whole system?

You have 2,000 watts of solar panels?
Is the RNG-CTRL-WND30 the only solar controller in the system?
A 30amp controller will be overloaded by 2,000 Watts of solar input.
It looks like 400 watts is max for that controller.

sorry you misunderstood. i have

2 60a mppt
2 30a pwm

just ordered 2 more mppt and 2 inverts to test and troubleshoot.

wow what brand MPPT are you using I just paid 600 bucks for a 60a Morning Star. either you are very rich or you have some type of deal going on. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
wow what brand MPPT are you using I just paid 600 bucks for a 60a Morning Star.  either you are very rich or you have some type of deal going on.  highdesertranger
lol you're the rich dude.    im el cheapo.   got em on amazon for $100.    

i just got a new inverter.   how should i proceed in order not to make things worse?

Is the rest of the system working correctly? That is the big question. I hope you are not using inverter and charge controller interchangeably. They are two completely different animals. I sure wish we had a wiring diagram of what you have so we could see what is there.

hi b.   im the most mechanically inept person.  it's a miracle i even had it working.   and working well!!   :D

i was using 4 cc's  and 4 inverters interchangeably but all connected to the one battery bank. 
ill try to draw a schematic...

charge controllers and inverters are two totally different pieces of equipment, they are in no way interchangeable. you are confusing us or at least me. highdesertranger

I don't understand the 4 inverters.I have 3500 watts of solar and only have 2 inverters.1 for AC and another for everything else.Maybe you have inverters and charge controllers confused?

sorry guys. confusing you is def not my intention. im a rookie and just been winging it. i guess i'll justbhave to re do everything. if you don't hear from me, i've accidentally blown up.

thanks to all for your help and inspiration. :D

thx hdr

ok i narrowed it down to 2 dead batteries reading 11.7 while the other 8 are fully charging at 13.2.  

i swapped out the new inverter and it gave me11.7.    should i just replace the2 batteries and what process.  brian said to disconnect everything.    is there a shortcut?   that's a lotta work man.   

thx again everyone!

Just replace your two bad batteries. You will be mixing in new with old but the way your system is working it won't make any difference.

I am still not sure what you are replacing. An inverter takes 12V DC and turns it into 120V AC. A charge controller takes the solar panels output and charges the batteries.
How many charge controllers do you have? I think I remember you saying 4.
How many inverters do you have?
Where are you reading the voltages? With a real meter at the batteries or a remote meter of some kind?

Leave the inverters out of the equation when talking about battery charging. It (they) just confuse the issue.

In your string of batteries, the positive wire that feeds the load should be connected to one end of the string, the negative should be connected to the opposite end of the string.

thx brian. will do. too confusing at this point! don't wanna frustrate younand other very helpful friends anymore.

today i replaced the 2 bad batteries and the new inverter reads 13.3 - 12.4 so that's a good sign. now waiting on 3 new cc's and that should fix it all i HOPE! lol

mahalo

Just a quick note.

To me it sounds as if your battery bank is mis wired.

If your batteries that low i'd bet that the good batteries left are getting charged by the solar and the bad batteries are being charged only by your vehicle/ isolator.

Can you grab a picture of the battery bank from the top and post it up? Shouldn't be possible since it's under your bed.

We'll be able to diagnose easier that way.

FWIW
Replacing parts before diagnosing the problem sometimes costs a lot of money and leaves a person frustrated.

Try to spend more time sharing your system wiring, less time doing anything without being 100% sure.

I guarantee if you take the time to share the information asked for (nothing nothing more nothing less) and test exactly as asked (no extra tests or information) that your setup will be fixed with minimal labor and frustration.

Guessing and impatience a recipe for disaster.

These guys have more than enough experience to get this right remotely.

Best of luck!

what a coincidence. was gonna go deep into it today. will post up some pics. just had my 5th knee surgery last week too! faaaak

thanks skyman