electrical problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brahmon

Reaction score
:huh:  hi guys.    my setup was working great for 7 months straight.   

2000w panels
1000ah walmart batteries
2000/4000 solar inverter pi20000x

4/0 wire mostly

usually id get voltage from 12.5-14.1 all day with heavy load.   now im struggling to get 11.0 -12.0 with low loads.     wtf? :huh:

I've recently  tested all the batteries and theyre all reading strong. 12.8-13.3.   ya thing my charge controllers are dying? they're showing only volts and no amps.

plz help!!

hmmmmm

What voltage is the controllers showing, The battery or the panels?

What controllers do you use?

Have you recently worked on the rig so that you needed to cut the power from the panels to the controllers? Maybe disconnected a fuse or switch, possibly pulled the wire from the panels to the controller inside or at the panels?

Starting with the lines coming from the panels, disconnect them and test for voltage there. If you are getting what you expect to then reconnect them and test for panel voltage at the controller. You may not even have to disconnect them from the controller to test them. just touch the screws that tighten the wires into the controllers.

If you have good voltage up top and at the controller/s then check your settings. Possibly the controller needs to be reset by first disconnecting the panels and then the connection to the batteries before reversing the process.

Could you have disconnected the batteries but not the panels? Some controllers this is a big no no. I know that my Morningstar controllers do not like to have the battery disconnected while the panel is still producing power and they can die from it. Other controllers do not seem to care.

I have seen where a Victron controller became disconnected from the bank when the wire melted. Everyday the controller came on, appeared to go thru bulk, absorption and float showing normal voltages and shut off as soon as the sun went down or the panels were disconnected. The panels were powering the controller while the batteries were down into the 11's because they were not receiving any power. We replaced the wire going to the batteries and all was well again. So make sure that you are seeing the proper voltage at the bank, on both ends of the fuse and at the terminals of the controller

The last thing that I can think of is has the controller been disconnected and if so, did you re set it up. Some controllers will not start working unless you tell it the voltage of the bank first.

Hope it helps

Can do voltage drops from the battery to the terminals on the charge controllers. So positive to positive and negative to negative. Acceptable loss is .05 of a volt. If higher there is an issue with what ever wire is over that amount.

This can help narrow down where the issue is. If there is a circuit fault. Charge controllers can go into protect. Disconnect and reconnect can bring them out of protect mode. (Pending type of system)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

brian i tested connections and fuses and all good.

jim, yes i disconnected a bad battery for warranty and replaced with new one. could thatve killed my cc's that dont register amps? shoulid i disconnecr all wires to recalibrate?

awjuhl, i'll try that later. its o dark thirty now (5:45am).

??thanks all!!!

Sounds like you upset the cart when you replaced the battery. Disconnect solar, disconnect battery, reconnect battery, reconnect solar. This process should reset your controller.

B and C said:
Sounds like you upset the cart when you replaced the battery.  Disconnect solar, disconnect battery, reconnect battery, reconnect solar.  This process should reset your controller.

ok will do b.  thx. :)

ok guys i just wasted 3 hrs for nothing.   not blaming anyone and appreciate ANY advice.   i realize there's a ton of moving parts and it takes time to troubleshoot.   

so i went and ordered a new inverter so hopefully that will fix it? any ither ideas?   eternally grateful for your help.

I thought you said your batteries weren't getting charged. an inverter has nothing to do with that. highdesertranger

the batteries are fully charged 12.8-13.1. sorry for misunderstanding

highdesertranger said:
I thought you said your batteries weren't getting charged.  an inverter has nothing to do with that.  highdesertranger

you know how it is, people don't always troubleshoot the last component on the string of stuff before they start blaming all the other stuff.

Inverter takes 12V DC and makes it 120V AC and has nothing to do with no amps into your battery. Was this the only thing you are having trouble with from the get go? Solar is a brand name of inverter, confusing.

I am still not clear on what/where the problem is other than voltage and no amps and as an afterthought a battery got replaced. To reset the controller, the sequence I stated above has to be followed exactly, one step at a time.

highdesertranger said:
boy now I am really confused.  highdesertranger

the biggest problem was the wiring.    when you have 4inverters, thats 16 unmarked wires, so i had to jiggle each one, while contorted since my bank is under the bed!   dumb me for not making it more accessible!

What is broken exactly? I still don't know. I see a lot of symptoms posted but no problem.

Did your problem start when you replaced the battery?
Are all of your connections on the battery or a buss bar?

yes problem started after replacing battery. yes all solar wires connected to batteries. should i reconext to bussbar? why was it working so well before?

Did you disconnect everything when you replaced the one battery?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts