Electric van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not enough range for someone like me who wanders the West. Sure, I usually have plenty of time, and stopping often to recharge wouldn't be that big a deal, but the question is whether there's a convenient charging station. But it's a start, I suppose.

Maybe I could do like the guy camped down the road from me. He has a trailer-mounted construction site sized generator.

I am surprised it does not have an onboard generator like a Prius.
Even local delivery trucks can drive more than a hundred miles a day.

Best to not upgrade any internal combustion engine vehicle at this time in history, repair it and wait to afford an electric. The UK recently announced a target of banning them by 2030, 10 years. I am sure other countries will follow, the US may take bit longer along with other undeveloped conservative countries. They will soon be affordable and they are hitting 300 kms +, with fast charge times and talking 300,000 kms or 30 years on a battery that’s pretty good for the time frame that they have been developing them.

I am amassed at the rapidly improving technology that is in the electric vehicles. Bob's video of the Tesla was amazing and my oldest son just traded his Prius for a large Toyota SUV that runs on the same hybrid technology. But we need to advance more in better ways to generate electricity. 65% of our electricity in America comes from burning fossil fuels. Talk about the cart before the horse. Until we find a clean and safe way to generate electricity we are fooling ourselves. Just like all of us (Americans) are proud that we have cut industrial pollution in the USA drastically in the last decades. We buy our goods from China and India were they pollute worse than America ever did. I am not condemning anyone. I just think we all need to start facing reality.

With my $ resources I will have to wait until they make a great electric van and then another 20 years to find an old one that meets my $ budget.

Just another YouTube suggested review, I guess this is korean language... Very clever design, no awning needed :)

Just another YouTube suggested review, I guess this is korean language... Very clever design, no awning needed :)

I like it. Wonder how much. I've been looking at Alibaba and AliExpress for RV's and EV cars & trucks.. Mostly just for fun, but ya never know:)

An all-electric RV just doesn't seem reasonable with the present infrastructure. But a plug-in hybrid would be great.
If the Atkinson Cycle generator was Flex-Fuel it could run on regular gas when necessary, but use E95 or straight Ethanol when available to keep your dinosaur consumption down.
There are two plug-in hybrid minivans that I am aware of - the Toyota Sienna and Chrysler Pacifica. But I don't think either is flex-fuel (could probably be converted), and neither has a large battery, so electric range is very limited. A full-size RV van with a substantial electric range (100 miles plus) would be ideal.

I think the way to go with a self charge is slide outs.

State, local, and utility rates can stack up. If you are in the Denver area and can figure out the federal they total 21k.

My guess is that 2025 will be the year to buy.

If things catch on gas powered vehicles will get cheaper. I suspect also so to will conversion kits.

Stay tuned.

I understand that people here have many varied views on EV's. Rather than argue the merits and misinformation, let's just say I'm a convinced EV nut.
I've been driving, converting, hacking and engineering components for EV's for 32 years, so I have a little history.
Although I've camped in many different EV's, I've yet to make one of my vans electric. I am slowly working on one I call Tesfalia.
It's a couple 1990 Vanagon's welded together and I'm putting a Tesla Model 3 underneath it. I'm expecting the usual DC Fast charging, but only a 150 mile range. So, no, it's not everything, and the commercial offerings may outperform it by the time it's done. Yet it has the VW style that I like and I am looking forward to getting it done someday.

F0knZk8agAY4EQO-1.jpg

If anyone wants to follow the project, I post details here: https://twitter.com/TesFalia

I understand that people here have many varied views on EV's. Rather than argue the merits and misinformation, let's just say I'm a convinced EV nut.
I've been driving, converting, hacking and engineering components for EV's for 32 years, so I have a little history.
Although I've camped in many different EV's, I've yet to make one of my vans electric. I am slowly working on one I call Tesfalia.
It's a couple 1990 Vanagon's welded together and I'm putting a Tesla Model 3 underneath it. I'm expecting the usual DC Fast charging, but only a 150 mile range. So, no, it's not everything, and the commercial offerings may outperform it by the time it's done. Yet it has the VW style that I like and I am looking forward to getting it done someday.

View attachment 34322

If anyone wants to follow the project, I post details here: https://twitter.com/TesFalia
Absolutely love this combination, and will definitely stay tuned.

I like it. Wonder how much. I've been looking at Alibaba and AliExpress for RV's and EV cars & trucks.. Mostly just for fun, but ya never know:)
Google https://www.google.com/search?q=jdm+camper (Japan Domestic Market) They are cheap and made well.
The only problem is that they have the steering wheel on the wrong side but it will take just a couple of days to get used to that.

For longer trips or van life, larger hybrid would make the most sense. Maybe it would be possible to add range via extra battery packs or a larger one if someone could fab it up.

^^ this
And each state have different laws regarding RHS vehicles. You might not be able to drive in some states, mail carriers (being federal) are exempted.