Electric blanket/mattress pad use

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sunday1951

How much solar/battery storage would be needed to use an electric blanket or mattress pad while sleeping during the 2016 RTR? I know many use a propane heater but I do not want to use one while sleeping. Would it even be possible?

Welcome to the forum sunday1951.

I don't know the answer to your solar question. But, I will say that if you have a warm sleeping bag or down blanket at the RTR, you don't need an electric blanket or heater. On the coldest nights, a stocking hat helps a lot too.

I've used my 12v electric blanket to take the chill off my mattress before going to bed, but have never slept with it on all night. My vehicle is running when the blanket was on; so, no need for solar for my blanket.

Hope you make it to the RTR, with or without that electric blanket.

Suanne

I had a mattress heating pad, and the actual battery consumption would range wildly depending on the dial's setting and the ambient temperature.

Minimum was about 24AH consumption in 8 hours, maximum could be as high as 70AH.

The 12v pads do not heat up as much or as fast as household 120vac electric blankets.

I would turn mine on to high about 2 hours before getting into bed, and it would be a very nice 120F, then I would turn it all the way down, or Off.

If I did not turn it all the way down, I would wake up completely overheated and it would take a good half hour before the mattress cooled down enough.

Later on I had acquired a wattmeter to plumb inline and saw the voltage drop at the ciggy plug was extreme. Maximum amps was 6.2 amps.

When I cut off the Ciggy plug and about 3 feet of 18awg wire, and put some anderson powerpoles in place, maximum amperage increased to 7.4 amps, and it heated up much faster and got hotter and actually consumed slightly less battery power overnight. I was at the end of the second winter at this point and not long after, half of the mattress pad failed to heat up. I think it was the wires themselves just got worn out, as opposed to the extra voltage and amperage able to flow through the heating pad from cutting off the ciggy plug, but it certainly could have been a contributing factor.

I went last winter without replacing the pad, and only rarely missed it, but I am in a mild climate that rarely goes below 40f in winter

How much battery capacity and solar for it will vary pretty widely depending on your preferences/ needs.

More blankets is much cheaper, but climbing into an already warm bed when it is cold is heavenly.

Personally, I feel if it's too cold for a vandweller to be comfortable with just a sleeping bag, it's time to pull into a park with an electrical plug and plug it in.

I do love my heated mattress pad. I don't figure I will ever go back to an electric blanket. I also have a 10F sleeping bag on my bed. That is far colder than I want it to be in my bus.

You could use a backpackers/mountaineers trick. Get a wide mouth Nalgene bottle and fill it with near boiling water about 15 minutes before turning in. Slide it into a thick sock or wrap it in a shirt and put it into your sleeping bag. It will stay warm all night and as a bonus you’ll have a warm drink when you wake up in the morning. Just be sure to wrap it in something or you could burn yourself.

Another other trick is to go to bed with a full stomach. I keep a Snickers bar nearby and take a bite or two of it in the middle of the night to keep the “furnace” stoked.

Most people also think that more insulation is better, so they crawl into bed with all their clothes on. This is a mistake because it will compress your sleeping bag from the inside and take away from the warmth it provides. If you are using blankets put the heavy ones (wool) on the bottom, then mid-weight (fleece or flannel) then the big comfy comforter on top. If you do it the other way around the weight of the wool will compress your comforter and render it just shy of useless.

I have stayed pretty comfortable in temps well below what you will see anywhere in the southwest with these three tips.

SternWake said:
I had a mattress heating pad, and the actual battery consumption would range wildly depending on the dial's setting and the ambient temperature.

Minimum was about 24AH consumption in 8 hours, maximum could be as high as 70AH.
Sternwake, do you have a link or name for the model you used?
Bob

Thank you all for your input ....... much appreciated.
If I were to have 200 watts of solar, what size Lifeline AGM would be best to get to have an electric mattress pad set up similar to SternWake?

This was my mattress pad:
http://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Elec...440539018&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+mattress+heater

Get the lifeline GPL-31t or the GPL31XT

And be able to feed it 25+ amps after 10 cycles to 50%.

Lifelines are hungry batteries. Their ideal charge requirements are a minimum of 20 amps per 100AH of capacity.

Pretty much impossible to achieve via solar alone.

So employ your alternator, and or a higher amp grid powered charger at least once every 14 cycles to 50%, and the higher the amps the better.

I'd also recommend cutting off the heater pad's ciggy plug, and hard wiring (fused) it or using Anderson powerpole connectors.

The thicker the wiring and the fewer the connectors, the quicker it will warm up and les battery will be wasted heating copper and connector before the mattress pad.

If you do not want to cut the cord, make sure the quality Ciggy receptacle is wired with 10AWG, and wrap some rubber bands around the plug so it cannot easily back out of the receptacle

In the winter sometimes I use a regular heating pad with a 2 hour timer. After it is warm I put it on low. I always fall asleep before the timer shuts it off, and I never wake up cold. Here is one rated at 60 watts, roughly 5 amps at 12v so about 10amp hours. http://smile.amazon.com/Mind-Body-E...heating+pad+timer&refinements=p_72:1248903011 That rating I assume is on high. Low maybe 3 amps or 6 amp hours. I might get this one next. I have an inverter that will run this easy.

A Heating pad rated at 60 watts, draws 60 watts on High or Low, it just cycle on more frequently on High than when on low, at least this is how my 50 watt pad works. It does not draw 50 watts on high and 25 watts on low. It also does not mean it also draw 50 watts the whole time it is on high.

Some heating pad controllers do not like MSW inverters. I have one, a more recent one which has a government mandated timer that will not restart unless I either unplug the unit or turn the MSW inverter off for a few seconds, then back on. If it is on my PSW inverter I just turn dial off then back on

I use my older one that has no timer device, but mostly to heat my 5 gallon shower bag when I have grid power. Takes about 14 hours to take it from 65 to 110F. Too much for my batteries and charging sources alone, but I will stick the bag on my black dashboard facing south and utilize the heating pad under it, to assist the sun in getting the water as warm as possible in the time available.

This last winter without the mattress heating pad,on the coldest nights I took a 200 watt heater under the covers with me to help warm up the mattress and blankets, no more than 10 or 15 minutes though, more is not needed.

a 200 watt heater Takes over 18 amps from the batteries Via my PSW inverter. Peukert steps in an hammers total available battery capacity at that discharge rate

Readings from overnight 12/2 - 12/3/2015

Dual control pad - both sides on the lowest setting. Last night was cold. The low was 24 at about 7AM and it dropped below freezing at 8PM and below 30F by 9PM. I turned the bed on at 10PM and got up at 8AM (30F). I was only running electric heaters last night so the inside of the bus was 48F at 8AM.

Used a Kill-a-Watt meter to take reading
10 hours (auto shut off max run time is 10 hours)
0.28 Kwh (total used)

Sunbeam/Homes
110 -120VAC
360 Watts

I bought mine at Sam's Club
Model # MLU8LQSS00071A7

I have an electric blanket that's works directly from 12VDC. Plugs into my deep cycle house battery system. It has one setting only, "kinda warm." You really don't feel a lot of heat when you place your hand on it. But get under it, and it's toasty warm. I have used it for about a year when the low temps warrant it. Used it last night; temp dropped to 33 degrees. Also put a fleece blanket over it and was toasty warm I have used it as low as 20 degrees and with my Heater Buddy running stayed comfortable all night.

I purchased it at a Pilot Truck Stop for $30 or so. Thought it would be the typical Chinese sub-quality junk, but it's worked well; kinda surprises me!

12 VDC at 55 watts. Using P=I.E.; 4.6 amps. Not much!

I live in a Chevy Express with windows all around. I chose not to insulate except for putting black out foam on the two back side windows for privacy. This fall I bought two Coleman sleeping bags rated to 30 degrees f and zipped them together. I also have a comforter for summertime that is light warmth. If the temps are over 35 degrees, I am almost too warm with just the sleeping bags. I sleep in shorts and a tank top. At 30 degrees I have been very comfortable. If I get cold I put my comforter on top.
I have a dog, He is the reason I have two sleeping bags.. He is small but he takes up the whole dang bed.

I know your question was regarding heating pads, but I am so danged pleased with my system I just wanted to share!

Has anyone used a 12v to 19v DC/DC converter with a SoftHeat mattress pad? My queen pad works fine through my inverter or when hooked up. The pad takes 120v AC and provides 16.5v +/- 10% @ 3.5A DC power through a “brick”. This wastes a lot of power (heat and inverter overhead). I’m considering bypassing the brick by using a 10A DC/DC converter. Any comments?

ChezCheese:-) said:
Hot water bottle. Greatest invention ever. Jus' sayin'.

Zombie thread for sure, but I can’t disagree with your thoughts on hot water bottles!

Got wife through the storm of the century (Didn’t know that until years later as we just thought it was a lot of snow!) with a 2 liter bottle of hot water stolen from the apartments laundry mat and delivered through waist deep snow multiple times a day!

It was easy to talk her into a kerosene heater as soon as we moved away from that all electric apartment that mandated no flammable (even candles) material even during a blizzard!

Used water bottles lots since then!  It’s a wonderful tool that can’t burn your house down while you sleep or give you the big sleep via carbon monoxide while you’re trying to recharge!

SD