Elderly budget care-campground plus. Who would be interested?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
Would you be interested in a campground that also had a community of helpers for the ADL's one might be having trouble with?
There are new programs that fund pretty much anything if you can show a cheaper alternative than moving into a nursing home.
This can include payment for a helper to take care of ADL's.
We certainly have no shortage of people who need work.

It would take less than ten principles to make this happen with monthly fees under $150 for the site.

One plot of land Mrs G and I are looking at is a legal campground with zero-zoning entanglements.
80+ acres and currently 30 sites.
5800 elevation in NM. ;)

How many would be interested?

Sound like madness to you, or like me, does it seem so damned obvious, it makes you wonder why no one has already done it??

Keep in mind, loads of people are brought to homes simply because they can no longer make the potty reliably.
I think they deliver Depends in New Mexico without the need to surrender ones sovereignty to a nursing home.

I would love to hear the thoughts of others on this subject.

Awesome Idea! I'm a caretaker for my Dad with Alzhiemers he is getting towards the end stage so there wouldn't be time for him watching him slowly fade has me thinking of when my time comes and it would be so nice to have a place to go that's safe and friendly. The Government pays me over $1500 a month for me to keep Dad home if someone could make happen what your talking about it would defiantly be self supporting so it could have a small medical staff and Doctors who check in. Also the guests would have Social Security that they can keep so they feel independent and not a burden I know Escapees has a Similar Place in Texas and charge $900 a month but for many they would have no money left for necessities. I think if someone took the time to investigate there would be plenty of money for funding a good place to start maybe P.A.C.E Program ran by the Federal Government. It would be a Godsend to have your idea come to be! If you need help let me know but I think someone with a Administrative Medical Background would be a big help and even a Private Concern may be interested 100 members @ $1,500 is $150,000 a month that would pay for a lot of Depends a dozen or so Aids and a couple of Nurses and a Doctor on call no problem!
Peace and Blessings!

Very interesting idea.
I am a retired R.N, university grad, experienced with such patients. Dont know what would be involved in establishing a nursing lic. where you are or liability protection but it cant be hard to find out.

I've met a couple of care givers who provide mobile services in my current rv park. I understand the park gives the resident/patient a discounted rent or lease and a larger space to accommodate the daily visiting service providers. There are several nomadic nurses who also reside in the park and travel all over the country working for hospitals in need of nursing staff..

It gets very hot here in the summer but patient access is never limited due to inclement weather i.e.; snow covered roads or freezing conditions.

I like your thought process...

5800 feet is going to be pretty chilly in the winter, in NM

The folks with COPD might have an issue with the amount of O2 at 5800 feet.

A place like this already exists it's called Florida.

This is a great idea and is the next step in the Nomad process.

Wonderful idea.

Co-op based or non-profit, means-tested sliding scale.

Would need a hard-nosed business manager and a board with deep and wide professional experience and political connections to make it long-term sustainable.

Dirty tricks from the profit-making sector and their political lackeys are inevitable

So plan for them as expected; budget lobbying, grass-roots PR campaigns and legal fees as a big part of the first decade's start-up costs.

I think this is an idea that sounds great.  Considerations would have to include having someone who would make sure the care given would be in compliance with all regulations from various regulatory bodies.  Not sure which one would be applicable here.

Also, what will you do as people's conditions decline and require more care than can be provided?  A person who is simply incontinent can care for themselves if they are physically able to change their clothes and clean themselves.  But if they need help with that, they will most likely need that help several times a day, every day, at least.  And if they require that level of assistance, they will also need help with meal prep, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, trips to doctors, all ADL's.  As their conditions decline, which they will, be prepared to have someone live with them.  One person forgetting to turn off the stove can be catastrophic.

Will you be prepared to provide RV services also?  Dumping tanks, unclogging stopped up drains, water leaks, filling propane tanks, AC repair in summer, furnace in winter?  

At what level of care do you draw the line?  And what happens when you get to that point?

Escapees offers something similar: https://escapees.com/support/care

[from link above]

Continuing Assistance for Retired Escapees

CARE answers the question, "What happens to full-time RVers when they cannot take care of their own or their spouse's needs following an illness, injury, surgery, or the progression of a long-term health situation?"

Escapees CARE Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit (tax-exempt) corporation formed in 1992 and is under the guidance of a volunteer board of directors. It is located in Livingston, TX, and its mission is to provide a safe haven with professional assistance at affordable prices for members whose travels are permanently ended because of age or temporarily interrupted because of health problems.

CARE is a place where you will receive professional help for the things you may no longer be able to do. It is not a nursing home. Its goal is to delay or eliminate the need for a nursing home by providing daily meals, scheduling medical appointments and providing transportation to appointments, providing on-duty nurses, secure day rooms, and a comfortable social atmosphere.

I have no idea about the cost though... I've been to that park. It's a nice facility.

I believe Escapees have a board that helps determine if nursing home level care is required or care is beyond their volenteer's help. Having someone living with you is also an option and breaks and services are available for that person also at a cost. It was set up to use volenteer help to provide transportation, meals and as much help(laundry, cleaning and observation) for the least cost and it still takes donations to get it done. There is a waiting list and last I heard it was still trying to help more people with there needs up till nursing home care was required.

I am an Escapee member, have been for some time, membership probably isn't worth what we pay as everything even with their discounts offered is more than we end up paying elsewhere. But for Care per their website: Residency Services - $874 per month (as of 2014 and increases appr. 3% per year), 50% for a 2nd resident. Licensed day care is $40.00 a day (again 2014 figure, no new figure on page). Page shows the "amenities". http://www.escapeescare.org/cost.php

Stargazer

Also, what will you do as people's conditions decline and require more care than can be provided?  A person who is simply incontinent can care for themselves if they are physically able to change their clothes and clean themselves.  But if they need help with that, they will most likely need that help several times a day, every day, at least.  And if they require that level of assistance, they will also need help with meal prep, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, trips to doctors, all ADL's.  As their conditions decline, which they will, be prepared to have someone live with them.  One person forgetting to turn off the stove can be catastrophic.

At what level of care do you draw the line?  And what happens when you get to that point?

Excellent questions!

A handyman would be a must.
If your neighbor could not help you with it...bill the handymans hours on 1/4 hour intervals and keep the costs down.
Same thing with security. I see a gated scenario actually. If you don't belong there, you shall not pass.
Also, a "panic button" would be a must IMO.
There are a ton of different possibilities for these and most are medicare covered.

It would only be a month or two before services like LYFT or UBER would get used to those who could not work out shopping/Dr's appointments with a neighbor who still drives.

Think about having surgery and recovering...(anyone keep up with "Roofus and Doofus" on Youtube?) He would have DREAMED about a setup like this to heal in. (Poor Chico...check out his nursing home experience. Frightening.)

35 years ago, I was on a board that wrote one of the first care waivers in our state.
Meet asset requirements, get a note from your doc...and you received a self directed care waiver.
This funded paychecks for the people you want to hire.
Hours per week were determined by need and the system worked rather well.
"New Horizons" in Connecticut is a huge spread for people with severe medical problems/disabilities where they live on their own in apartments.
They direct their own care like this...hire and fire their help...and work out their own schedules.
I have known several residents there (still do) since it opened.
There is NEVER a problem getting help. The neighbors, the ones with sharp minds, naturally watch out for those who would otherwise be easily manipulated. Strength in numbers. (Vive' la France!) ;0
 "Patients" who they never thought able to handle directing their own care, found the transition easy with peer support. Ding-bat aides don't last long.

A little confusion with your finances or forgetting your burner on is an easy fix. Shut the propane. Ask for a neighbors help.
Participate in daily cost-sharing meals that are informally done amongst friends or meals on wheels.
No one likes relinquishing their independence and I don't think there is an easy answer to every problem that would arise, but it sure beats alternatives currently available for those without hefty incomes.
Sadly, if someone is taking off naked to wander the street at 3AM, they would have to move to a place that could handle their needs.

A few double wides with peer management and you have "community care homes." (Google it, there are a ton of examples all over the country.)
Someone who is bedridden would need to move to one of these. With modern gadgetry, you can do a lot with a little.
There is a spot out West where folks live in their own apartments and twice an hour, an aide looks in on them with a "fuzzy cam."
(Slightly out of focus so dignity is preserved as much as possible, but clear enough to see if someone is on the floor, or in distress.)
This is something that could be looked into in the fullness of time. For now, step one...is to find the right place. With the number of people currently aging, it surely would fill up.

We all want to fix every problem before they come up. If this got traction, within three months, the best planning would be tossed on its head.
(Happens every time.)

I see the next level as a community care home, (not a "nursing home") keeping medical management far far away from the desks of those maintaining the campground.
Don't hire any nurses. If someone has an open wound, they would need the nurse to come in. Same as if you lived in a house.
There are a ton of nursing companies out there. (Med Tex, Community Care Corp, Staff Mates...etc.) Let them worry about the state regs. I only want to worry about the people living there.
The key here is self-directed care and a community of peers to watch out for one another. They come into your home right up to life-end if you so choose.

Does this all come with some risk? Yes it does. 100%!
You could die in your RV before anyone knew you were in trouble. That is a very realistic possibility.
My guess is, most of us would take those odds to keep living mostly the way we want to.

(If you want to think about one of the most difficult situations, what do you do with the person whose idea of a good day is drinking a fifth of vodka and playing Elvis concerts at 160db at 2AM??)

Look at what we have here and how many people educate and empower each other with the tricks of living mobile.
There is no reason why there could not be a campground that caters to the aged vagabond, with built-in supportive community and easier-than-normal access to the services required.

The campground I have described is certainly where I want to end my life.
(Lord knows, my pets, my outdoors-dominated life and my fire-pit would not go over big in a nursing home.)

I've tried to explain this best I can.
My swollen joints allow for no more typing right now, so I have to sign off.
Sure hope those 50+ out there are thinking about this.
It is, very seriously, in my plans.
We only need ten more like me...with a little scratch, not millions...to make this happen to keep the capitalistic crap out of it. (Financing, management, government hassle...*hiss, hiss, hiss and double-hiss*)
Please, keep suggestions/comments/thoughts coming.

Hi JD GUMBEE,
Thank you for bringing such needs to everyone's attention.

Started as a small child, & later schooled as a licensed nurse, & worked in almost every specialty for 37 years I genuinely-lovingly have cared for innumerable people mostly in Critical care settings. And because I love people, helped start the care industry in *private home* environments in my state, so I know a thing or 2, a few of which others have also mentioned including you.
As a new member here, have not yet written my Introductory discussion, asking re related concerns, for people's thoughts for everyone's benefit.

Something like what you propose, is beyond needed, also doable. And yet such needed societal advancement needs be done within the greater context of society, legally, etc.
iow, This is not just a simple "less than ten principles to make this happen, or your recent conclusion "The campground I have described is certainly where I want to end my life. - it is, very seriously, in my plans. We only need ten more like me...with a little scratch, not millions...to make this happen to keep the capitalistic crap out of it. (Financing, management, government hassle...*hiss, hiss, hiss and double-hiss*) "

For now have you considered:

1. for example individuals like myself who shared literally 3/4 of their life in one compassionate service after another, would the medically-skilled continue to so live? - or would money change hands?
and
2. Considering Bob Wells here, the owner of this wonderful forum, interviews Vehicle-dwellers who "live in my car on $250 each month". When they need help, (sounds like they need help already, do you agree?) - how are you planning on working out those, & related Logistics?
and
3. Inherent in one of your statements was "Sure hope those 50+ out there are thinking about this" - True, all of society should be thinking, & working on resolving such challenges, & opportunities. AND in fact, in the country of my childhood, all were cared for as needed, & wanted until they passed.. - Now what specific actions do you JD GUMBEE think will get this societal ball rolling, and set this chain of events in motion such that every person is Lovingly cared for as needed, & wanted? 

Hey JD,
Great idea, although I hope I'm at least a decade away from wanting to be stationary.
Also, I would need warmer winters than the elevation you propose would provide.
Keep the thread going! I love reading all the input.

One thing that gives me the creeps about retirement communities, "active seniors" communities, assisted living facilities or nursing homes is being surrounded only by other old people. I don't want to spend my last years segregated that way. So if there were to be some type of assisted living campground, I'd want to have younger people around too. I mean, I've been glad to see something besides other geezers at RTR the past few years. It sure beats listening to old farts talk about their great-grandkids, health problems and the good old days. Of course, younger people probably don't want to listen to that stuff either, so there would need to be incentives.

Living in an RV at 5800' in New Mexico in the winter months would be unbearable for even a 20 year old. Then you could have the choice of no running water due to water lines freezing or fires caused by the heat tape.

The undertaker would be there on a daily basis.

I have just reviewed this thread with Mrs G.

She suggested I post the following:

Don't think of this like a low budget setup like the Escapees offer.
Forget the standard nursing home model also.
Think of this idea more as a way to have a legal address for very little money, surrounded by people in similar situations that will watch out for you and help you navigate the programs spoken of in previous posts.
A safe place where your dog or cat is welcome.
A group of people who will help navigate the self directed care available to everyone...with an address.
The ability to bring in or build a shed for a little extra room.
Using your solar if that is what you want to do.
Neighbors that will care for your pets, should you need to be hospitalized.
Having adjacent sites where friends can come and stay a while.

The problem with trying to offer everything in a package is, it becomes a nursing home.
You cannot fire your nurse...or your support people in an "all in one package" situation.
I do not want to be forced to endure a nurse or personal care attendant that rubs me the wrong way, do you?
Think about telling a nursing home administrator you want a different aide or nurse to work with you. How would that work out?
Having a choice of several agencies in the free market is empowering.

I cannot stress enough how much Chico's (Rufus and Dufus on youtube) experience has kicked my behind into action.
Every one of you advanced in years should watch his last videos about his life flight, hospital and "group home" experience. (May he rest in peace.)
Ask yourself how you are prepared to deal with a similar situation.

The New Mexico property is just an example. The search has just begun.

I am in the process of comparing the states and their specific programs/rules of assets/zoning/locations/taxes...etc

If anyone is participating in a self directed care waiver program in California/Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada please PM me.

Again, thanks for the input.

MrNoodly said:
One thing that gives me the creeps about retirement communities, "active seniors" communities, assisted living facilities or nursing homes is being surrounded only by other old people. I don't want to spend my last years segregated that way. So if there were to be some type of assisted living campground, I'd want to have younger people around too. I mean, I've been glad to see something besides other geezers at RTR the past few years. It sure beats listening to old farts talk about their great-grandkids, health problems and the good old days. Of course, younger people probably don't want to listen to that stuff either, so there would need to be incentives.

Thank God ! - We need more people with your kind of Attitude. :)
One of the factors that makes me hesitant to attend an RTR is encountering people that don't, & therefore can't, MOVE like they used to - be that in soul or mind or body. Personally, am allergic to 'old' anythings.
Do know that you can be 100 (as in whatever 'years'), and yet Act & therefore BE young. Youthful will get you alot further as far as enjoyment, & health.
In fact, friends know I consider principally Pre-school kids, & too homeschoolers to be the most intelligent, & creative.
Need confirmation? - Watch the TED-talks, for example and just about any emotionally-healthy child.
The 46+ phenomenal skills of children :D  How many attending the RTR's still passionately live these ? Such would be my Incentive for attending an RTR, &/or belonging to such a community