Eight or Six Cylinder Cargo Van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noel Pacheco

Reaction score
I am contemplating whether or not I should get an 8 or 6 cylinder cargo van. My wife and I do not have any plans to pull anything like a cargo trailer or a small boat. All of our van dwelling gear will be portable (mattress, clothes, and other camping equipment) aboard so we can take advantage of the stealth camping opportunities in urban areas.  So is a 6 cylinder engine enough? I feel like an 8 cylinder is an overkill on my gas mileage, unless I'm going up and the mountains with a heavy load.

I have always gone by the adage that I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. A six cylinder engine will work harder than an 8 cylinder one will to do the same work. If you ever get in the mountains, you will be glad you got the 8.

My $0.02 worth.

Edit to add: Welcome to the forum. Stop by the newcomers corner to start a thread to introduce yourself.

https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3

If it's a full size cargo van, I wouldn't touch anything less than an 8 cylinder.

Cargo vans are heavy beasts to start with, loading them with camping gear, even portable stuff and you've got some serious weight.

A 6 will be constantly working it's little butt off. Not just in the mountains but trying to get up to speed on steeper on ramps will show you a big difference in power. The gas savings are just not there because the six is working so much harder.

You'll get better gas mileage with good driving habits than with a small engine in a big vehicle.

And yes, I've had a 6 in a cargo van in my long distant past (mid 70's) and I still have fond memories of trying to coax it up to speed with anything but a good tailwind!... :D :rolleyes: I loved that 1961 Ford Econoline but man was she slow!!

A lot of folks love their 6 cylinder Chevy Astro Vans

Of course there are the 5 cylinder diesel vans as well that do very nicely and are quite popular.

So if you go for one of the smaller vans then you can manage with a smaller engine.

If you want a longer van with more interior space then you need the extra power of an 8.

But there are times in life it is nice to be able to tow something or even load the van up with stuff that needs to be moved from one place to another. If you own a van you will be having friends who want you to help them move stuff.

Think about this I have a 2011 express van 2500 it weighs 5600 lb empity. with my build  I guess it weighs between 8 and 9 thousand.

travlinman and wife said:
Think about this I have a 2011 express van 2500 it weighs 5600 lb empity. with my build  I guess it weighs between 8 and 9 thousand.

that is a very heavy build!

If you spend an appreciable time in the Western mountains, you will regret having only six cylinders. When I first started to plan vandwelling, I knew I wanted a cargo van, with the cylinder choice of six or eight. Then i read an account of someone who had my make of van (Nissan NV), who said that the engine really labored going uphill. Since I spend summers in the mountains, chasing comfortable temps, I am glad to have cylinders.

But, if I had thought about it, a GVWR of almost 10,000lbs really does need eight cylinders. Happy planning!
Ted

MAKI2 when you add 16 gallons of water ,food foe two weeks , 30 gallons of gas, two people at 150 lb each , generator and gas, sink, stove, cabnets, It will add up more than you think. I will say I have not had it weighed so that was just a guess .