Ehrenberg Trade Blanket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewolf

Reaction score
With the large crowd that apparently is massing at Ehrenberg, I'm thinking about kicking around the idea of having a Trade Blanket. Everybody has stuff taking up space. With a Trade Blanket you take turns, someone throws something on the blanket, then others throw their stuff down that they might like to trade for that item. The original trader then picks up the item that he/she might want, shakes hands and says "Good trade" or just picks his item back up and says "No trade".

We learned this at Pow Wows back east. Always fun and if you don't get rid of unused crap, at least you can get different unused crap. We'll talk it up like yeah. You just need chairs, lights and a blanket.

There is a large round table (looks sort of like an old industrial cable spool).

It is the "free table" here in the desert of Ehrenberg.

I think a lot of people are waiting till the RTR to bring their free stuff there.

That is my plan...but, as time goes by, I am finding people here that could really use some of my stuff...so a bunch of it will never make the trip to Quartzsite

A bunch of people did that last year, except most of it was junk no one would ever want. It was just a way to get someone else to take it to the dump for them.

It was all there very late in the spring so I gathered it all up and took it to the dump.

I have plenty to do and would rather not be your garbage man. If you are going to put crap on that table, Please be sure that you get it out of there before you leave. It will not walk to the dump by itself.

Don't do it. A few people left real crap. I know who they are and would like to out them but I won't. Who the hell is going to want a rusted out grill or broken futon, among other junk.

Well that got totally off subject.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

It happens quite often around here. I like the idea of the Trade Blanket. Two items at a time, a look over, then either good trade or no trade. Either way the items are picked up and the next traders step in.

As Homer Simpson always says "Never try". HeeHee

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between the 'trade blanket' that the OP was suggesting and the 'free table' on the Ehrenberg plateau and the 'free tarp' at the RTR.

The trade blanket requires that all participants be there at the same time. The other 2 are leave it and walk away modes with the problem of people leaving their junk, moreso at the free table than the RTR tarp.

Whitewolf, as you'll no doubt soon learn about the Ehrenberg plateau, there is no organization here, people come and go, we meet standing in the road or beside someones' rig etc. etc.

The trade blanket is a neat idea but communicating the plan and setting it up to function well probably would be an exercise much like herding cats.... :D

Your likely to loose your blanket and get some corn pollen from Tonto! LOL!!!