Easy fix to make RV water fill cap water tight

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
A while ago I bought one of these filler caps to cap off my water fill hose. I know it's meant to be mounted on the exterior of an RV, but I just needed a fill cap that would fit into my 1 1/4" filler hose and cap it off when I wasn't using it.

31UuPWHyEvL._AC_.jpg

I was disappointed to discover that this cap is not water tight. (Obviously it has a vent too, but I'm not talking about that or using that vent. The fill cap itself is not water tight.) I guess that's not a big deal in most applications, but my water fill hose is not much higher than the tank itself, so it's feasible that with a full water tank, when the water shifts around while driving, some water can find its way up to the fill cap and leak out.

However today I figured out a way to make it water tight, and I thought I would share in case anyone else needs an actual water tight filler cap for their water system.

Firstly, I removed that mounting flange around the filler spout itself since I have no use for it. It easily twists off. So that is why my fill spout pictured below does not have a flange on it any more. Not really essential to making it water tight, but just a heads up.

Next, pop the tether for the cap out of the small hole in the top of the cap. Now, cut a piece of bicycle tube rubber to fit inside the under side of the cap. When trimming a rubber circle out, get the size close but a little too big, and then stuff it inside the cap and see where it's too big so you know where to trim it to get it to just the right size. The rubber piece should fill the entire under-side of the cap. Don't trim it down too small or you may have leaks.

Next, sand down the top of the filler spout that the cap goes onto. The added thickness of the rubber makes it so you cannot twist and lock the cap in place on the spout, so you need to slightly sand down the spout to compensate for this thickness. Be careful sanding! I advise using a power palm sander if possible to get a nice even sand over the whole spout. If the sanding has high and low spots, it might leak. And also retry the cap on the spout with the rubber inserted frequently as you sand. Do not sand off too much. You want the rubber disc to get compressed against the top of the spout as you twist the cap shut. If you sand off too much of the spout, the rubber will not get squeezed against the top of the spout, and it may leak.

Also note that by putting the rubber disc underneath the cap, this covers up the hole in the middle of the cap that the tether went though, so water can't leak through there.

Once you have sanded down the spout just enough that you can twist the cap onto it with the rubber disc installed under the cap, that's it. Viola, the cap is now water tight and won't leak.  :)

20210801_184050 copy.jpg

Attachments

• 31UuPWHyEvL._AC_.jpg
    31UuPWHyEvL._AC_.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210801_184050 copy.jpg
    20210801_184050 copy.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 7
If that is a cap to the fill port for a fresh water tank, it allows air in to prevent a vacuum, or over pressure, in the tank.

My ancient artifact of a cap has an obvious small hole in the middle.

Thanks for getting me to think about why it has a hole. Especially as I often descend from over 7K ft to 4K ft or ascend the reverse.

Today was 4K up to 6K. The mustard bottle that I had closed at 4K, at 6K explosively projected mustard, when I opened it without thinking about it.

wayne49 said:
If that is a cap to the fill port for a fresh water tank, it allows air in to prevent a vacuum, or over pressure, in the tank.

My ancient artifact of a cap has an obvious small hole in the middle.

No, there is no reason for this fill cap not to be water tight, aside from just a cheap design. As you can see in the first photo, there is a dedicated vent port right next to the fill cap that is designed to be connected to a vent port in your tank. That is what is supposed to equalize the pressure in your tank or let air escape while filling.

Maybe some older fill spouts just had a vent on the fill cap itself. Having the vent on the fill cap itself has the disadvantage of not being able to let air escape easily when filling the same way that a separate, dedicated vent can.

In my case, I have a dedicated vent for the tank totally separate from my filler, so there is no problem with making my fill cap air/water tight.