E-350 ClassB Van-RV can barely make it up hills, get's hot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow HDR's advice and what SternWake says about the sp wires. I shotgunned the cooling system, just threw $$$ at it all at once. Would have been cheaper, maybe, to putter around with it but my mechanic was 50 minutes away at the time so I just saved trips. And that was an old Moho so don't know what the newer tech does. There is room in the old engine bays for the 4 core, you should try to get one. If you can figure out how to add an additional electric fan, that helps some. It's been 20 years since I did that so I dont remember much about any labor times, plus, the shop put it all on at once. I do remember spending a grand though...
If your gas mileage is down consistently then it's likely fuel system or ignition electrical or both.

Let us know what you find regarding the condition of the Ignition wires. These are often overlooked and neglected, and break down way faster under a Van's engine cover compared to other vehicles.

highdesertranger said:
wow 1.5-2 mpg something ain't right. know what I mean vern. highdesertranger

I think Vern is pickin' up what your layin' down! Lol

I just skimmed back over this thread, and the thought crossed my mind that you might have a clogged fuel filter or rust or other debris in your gas tank.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I just skimmed back over this thread, and the thought crossed my mind that you might have a clogged fuel filter or rust or other debris in your gas tank.

Clogged fuel filter could explain lack of power but might not explain the huge consumption in fuel.

I adjusted a distributor once on a fine running 4.9 Ford based solely on the pulley marks...which were off a whole bunch due to the balancer portion slipping. It idled ok enough, but the drive home had it running really hot with very little power, and fuel gauge dropping rapidly over 40 miles due to wide open throttle. If timing is unknown, a vacuum gauge can be used. Advance the timing until max vacuum, then back it off a bit. This isn't for fine tuning, rather, to get it from way off to pretty close.

If you were close by, I'd spend 10 minutes and measure exhaust back pressure for you (to see if cat is restricted). It's just drilling a hole upstream and connecting a gauge. A competent exhaust shop should have this tool, and it barely takes a half hour start to finish...shop labor of a $100?

tip on a slipped balancer. if your balancer has slipped, replace it, many negatives with a slipped balancer, it's dangerous it could let go, your engine is no longer balanced could have a catastrophic failure, like cityevader stated your timing marks are no longer correct. when rebuilding an engine I always like to replace the balancer. highdesertranger