Dynamax REV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally - a layout in a C that I could live with!!

At initial purchase price - way out of my league but maybe in 10 or 15 years when it's all depreciated.

Basically an Americanized European Class C... With Front Wheel Drive...

I've lived in a 1982 version of a transvan for the last three years and love it.  If you want to do a conversion, you can build a similar vehicle from a shuttle bus and you can find many older versions for FAR less money..  I paid very little for my 1982 transvan with 55 k miles on it, less than 2k.  I added a towed and have all the advantages of a type A and the lightness of a type C.

Corky

The reason I am looking at this RV is because I want to take my wife with me and she demands some luxuries. I was looking at the Promaster cargo van and wanted to do a simple self build. That would have cost about 30k plus a little bit for materials.

We checked a REV out today and we really like the rear bath with a Murphy bed. The bathroom is big enough to change clothes in. The length of theRV is 24 feet. The price was $63k for the 2015 model. It is luxury, compared to my self-build camper idea.

We talked about financing, you can get a 20 year loan at under 4% with the right credit. The payments are about $400 ( I have to calculate it out) . This is good for me because in a few years I will be eligible for a pension that will increase my income.

I would strongly suggest renting an RV with a Murphy bed before buying, my rig had such a bed and it was the second thing I removed!  Setting a bed every night before you can go to sleep gets old REALLY fast!

Corky

corky52 said:
I would strongly suggest renting an RV with a Murphy bed before buying, my rig had such a bed and it was the second thing I removed!  Setting a bed every night before you can go to sleep gets old REALLY fast!

Corky

x2 on that one!   :mad:

The "buy a new RV" dream is collapsing, because according to the spreadsheets I can either retire early or buy a new RV, not both.  DW is pissed off.

Sky,
Step back, take a deep breath and relax!!

Point 1) buying new in RV's isn't the only way to go!

Point 2) talk to the wife and LEARN what she thinks and wants, might surprise you.

Point 3) take time to look around a bit, craig's list is your friend and you can look fro free.

Point 4) spend time just sitting in a few RV's, visualize spending lots of time there.

Point 5) for two people an RV is likely better than a van

Corky

Looks like a great buy for a full size Class A. I have driven that same coach, and it is like steering a boat. But manageable, once you get used to it. I drove one from the U-Haul shop here in Tally to Jacksonville, Florida. Stayed in it while there. Then drove back. Had no problems. I was a U-Haul employee at the time, and they rented them.

corky52 said:
Sky,

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/5076072866.html

I went an look at this yesterday with a friend, great shape and really nice!  Not new but you can buy lots of gas for the price difference, lots of gas!  Little bigger than you first posted, but really nice for two people.

Corky

The one thing there is no pics of is the roof! All pretty pictures of the interior..sigh!

Unless it's shadowing in the pictures, which I doubt because it's widespread, is that the outside side walls below the windows are all showing signs of interior wall water damage - they're bulging.

This is a common problem with RV's of that age because people didn't understand that you needed to have the roof resealed at least every five years. Water gets in, runs down the inside to the window frames which are metal then around the windows and down into the lower wall. The only fix is to gut the RV from the inside and replace the wall studs, all the insulation  and then rebuild the interior - a massive project for even experienced people.

Almost There said:
The one thing there is no pics of is the roof! All pretty pictures of the interior..sigh!

Unless it's shadowing in the pictures, which I doubt because it's widespread, is that the outside side walls below the windows are all showing signs of interior wall water damage - they're bulging.

This is a common problem with RV's of that age because people didn't understand that you needed to have the roof resealed at least every five years. Water gets in, runs down the inside to the window frames which are metal then around the windows and down into the lower wall. The only fix is to gut the RV from the inside and replace the wall studs, all the insulation  and then rebuild the interior - a massive project for even experienced people.

You are right!  Didn't notice that at first.  Looks like some major delamination occurring!  :(

The good thing is, now I can start looking at old junker vans on craigslist again.