Dutch oven cooking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the single burner butane stove you have the type with the cannister below the burner, or beside? If it is beside, the dome will overheat the cannister if it is over it. If it is below, it will work fine.

make sure if you are using a spacer that you burn off the coating in a safe area outside. that one that Rainer post is not supposed to be heated it is to set a lid on, and who knows what that coating is made out of. some coatings can be deadly or cause great bodily harm when heated. highdesertranger

Rainier70 said:
Another thing that you can do is to put a lifter/spacer between the diffuser and the bottom of your pan. That will help to even out your cooking in the Dome. By lifter/spacer I mean something like this lid rack. https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Fo...43701093&sr=8-3&keywords=dutch+oven+lid+stand
I needed one of these the other day and didn't have one, so instead I lined the bottom of my DO with foil and then scrunched up several foil-sausages and laid them on the bottom. On top of those I laid my dinner in a foil package. (I had made Zucchanoes [stuffed zucchini] filled with chili meat) I debated whether to add some water to the bottom, decided against it. The zucchanoes baked up perfectly! I definitely want to get a more ecologically sound rack, rather than aluminum foil sausages, but they worked in a pinch.

The Dire Wolfess

SoCaliVanner said:
Is the single burner butane stove you have the type with the cannister below the burner, or beside? If it is beside, the dome will overheat the cannister if it is over it. If it is below, it will work fine.

Of course, I have the kind with the canister beside the burner. :( thanks for that tip, it may not have occurred to me and I might have had an explosion.

So much for that little plan, but I still have two propane burners in my little class B.

I would think one could use the same principle over a fire, with a skillet, griddle or Dutch Oven and the dome.

I’ll have to do some experimenting, but not with the butane burner, :(

So, propane needs to have sufficient air to ensure complete combustion. Otherwise, carbon monoxide is produced. I would be very very cautious about using the cover with a propane burner indoors. If you do, make sure you have plenty of fresh air from outside.

The Dire Wolfess

They make CO and propane detectors for RV's. If your going to burn propane indoors, please use both. If you are going to cook, install a smoke alarm.

Dingfelder said:
What kind of baking have you done on it?  

The pics show burning twigs/very small branches on top, I guess to help bake ... do you use the same on your butane stove?

Breads, cakes, muffins, cupcakes, fish sticks, pizzas, hot pockets and more.

I place a pie tin inside with round key rings to raise the tin up off the bottom. Place my food in the tin and bake away, with the butane stove on its lowest setting.

With corn bread I pour the batter into the pie tin, bake, then pitch the pie tin.

I did the twig thing when I first tried it out baking an pineapple upside down cake using coals outside

Any large fying pan with a domed lid with work. Just add a pie tin or cake pan that fits and place something under it to raise it up off the bottom and bake away.

Thanks for the warnings on adequate ventilation.

I’m in an older Class B, and have used the little stove in it for 12 years, now, never any problems.

The tank is outside and underneath, propane piped in for the stove, hot water heater and frig when not using electricity.

Do you feel using the dome inside creates its own problems?

Venting is not a problem, just trying to understand something I otherwise don’t.   :s

Right, so, under normal conditions when you look at your propane burner flame it will be mostly blue, with yellow tips. The yellow is because the flame is using oxygen in its combustion process. Under normal conditions, the propane is fully broken up into water and carbon dioxide (H2O+CO2). If there is not sufficient oxygen, for instance if there is a lid partially covering the flame, then combustion might be incomplete, resulting in production of carbon monoxide in place of carbon dioxide. CO instead of CO2. Of course if there is way too little oxygen, the flame will simply go out. Then you have the problem of propane gas being let out into the room.

This is why it's a good idea to have a combination propane/CO detector unit, mounted near the floor because both of these gases are heavier than air.

The Dire Wolfess

Very good information, DW, and I thank you.

Sounds like the safest bet is to use this nifty item outside, or indoors with plenty of fresh air and where I can watch the flame.

I do have a detector near the floor.

Just prop up the bottom of the dome a bit to let air in. It doesn't have to be very high. Just enough so you can peak under it should do. You don't want the bottom of the dome down against a flat surface. Remember heat rises and as long as the bottom edge is not above your pan bottom, it should do just fine.

no combustion is complete(100%) you always make carbon monoxide(CO). the amount just varies from a little to a lot. highdesertranger

E8337068-5B78-44EB-A6AA-2D576BD4A9FF.jpegThis is the butane stove I have, which I pulled out and looked at this morning.

If the dome didn’t cover the little tank area on the right, should be safe to use, do you think?

Attachments

• E8337068-5B78-44EB-A6AA-2D576BD4A9FF.jpeg
    E8337068-5B78-44EB-A6AA-2D576BD4A9FF.jpeg
    35.4 KB
highdesertranger said:
no combustion is complete(100%) you always make carbon monoxide(CO). the amount just varies from a little to a lot. highdesertranger
I was trying to make it simple and understandable. Of course you are correct.

The Dire Wolfess

yeah I just didn't want people to think they could have a flame without CO. highdesertranger