Drumming Circle on Monday 12/15 at the RTR!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKay

Reaction score
Hi All--

I've looked over the forum threads, and (forgive me if I'm wrong) it looks as though there's not one of these started.  I think that drumming (and drumming in circle / playing other percussion instruments) is so great for de-stressing, unwinding, and connecting--while also being energizing at the same time. 

I feel strongly that it's a good thing for people to do, whether you have previous experience or not!  If you don't have a drum or percussion instrument, just find something that you can play:  tupperware, trays, etc. (as long as it 'sounds good to the ear'.  Even a macaroni and cheese box can make a good shaker / maracas.

I'm thinking that Monday would be a good time, as it's a great way to start off the week and 'Drum the Monday Blues Away'! ;)

Location: TBD (with the intention of finding 'the right spot' with consideration of all aspects)

Time: Monday, Jan. 15th at Sunset for an hour or so

Cheers,
Tracy

This will need to be at the north camp in the music/generator camp, not in the main camp. There will be signs out pointing to its location.

akrvbob said:
This will need to be at the north camp in the music/generator camp, not in the main camp. There will be signs out pointing to its location.

Bob,

I'm a new member to the group. I have a 21 foot trailer with 160 Watt solar but depending on the weather and other factors I might need to run my portable generator for an hour mid-day ... I hope not to do so..

In addition I visited the Imperial Dam LTVA and sorta of freeked out with the "crowd" 

So ...

I really don't want to be locked into a designated "noisy" area but color me nervous and concerned if I find an "emergency" need to run the generator during the mid-day for an hour one or two days during RTR.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Twotwinpeaks,
You could be camped on the music & generator side, but find yourself a nice spot some distance from them. There's plenty of room for everyone to spread out ;-) So, no worries.

:exclamation: Maybe some of us musicians that do not want to be lumped in near generators can set up our own area for our activities!!!

:huh: I'm not sure when music & Musicians and Generators became mutually exclusive... but I'm with Bob on this one and want to be as far away from noisy generators as I can. I absolutely hate those things.....  I do, however, enjoy creating musical art in a peaceful setting.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  

Here is a link to a previous thread on the topic:

showthread.php

I remember drum circles in past years at RTR's be aware not everyone is a fan I happen to have been a drummer/percussionist most of my early years volume is critical and not
a requirement if you cannot hear the quietest drummer you are too loud.

wagoneer said:
" if you cannot hear the quietest drummer you are too loud."

Wise words here. There is a tendency amongst some musicians to engage in volume warfare. NOT COOL.

A true sign of an accomplished musician is a respectable volume level while intently listening to others.

" if you cannot hear the quietest ___________ you are too loud."

I could fill in the blank with the word "GENERATOR" as well.  Also many others......

TKay said:
Hi All--

I've looked over the forum threads, and (forgive me if I'm wrong) it looks as though there's not one of these started.  I think that drumming (and drumming in circle / playing other percussion instruments) is so great for de-stressing, unwinding, and connecting--while also being energizing at the same time. 

I feel strongly that it's a good thing for people to do, whether you have previous experience or not!  If you don't have a drum or percussion instrument, just find something that you can play:  tupperware, trays, etc. (as long as it 'sounds good to the ear'.  Even a macaroni and cheese box can make a good shaker / maracas.

I'm thinking that Monday would be a good time, as it's a great way to start off the week and 'Drum the Monday Blues Away'! ;)

Location: TBD (with the intention of finding 'the right spot' with consideration of all aspects)

Time: Monday, Jan. 15th at Sunset for an hour or so

Cheers,
Tracy

I remember a really cool medicine circle/rock spiral area we found last year, northwest of the main camp area, that might be an excellent location for a drum circle.

33°39'15.58"N

114° 9'19.13"W 

Link to a Google map:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d33.654336!4d-114.1553135

Any thoughts on this location?  Too far? Too close?

:idea:

Drum tones carry quite a distance, and they get monotonous after about two minutes. May I suggest any drum circle be held farther from camp. Like, oh, Phoenix.

Van Man Dave said:
33°39'15.58"N

114° 9'19.13"W 

Any thoughts on this location?  Too far? Too close?

I'm thinking more like this:  [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]37.712868, -98.978737[/font]

MrNoodly said:
I'm thinking more like this:  [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]37.712868, -98.978737[/font]

This is a good point, but an unreasonable suggestion.

Kind of like this:

Generator tones carry quite a distance too, and they get monotonous after about two minutes. May I suggest any generator usage be held farther from camp. Like, oh, Albuquerque.

Thanks for the input?????  

I'm trying to facilitate a respectable response here.

VMD

I don't like generators, but they're necessary for some people. Drumming is unnecessary.

But anyway, the first suggested coordinates are too close to camp. In fact, if the crowd is as large as last year, that's pretty much in the center of camp. So, how about over on the east side of the access road, like this: 33.652592, -114.144010. Or much farther north and west, like this: 33.657669, -114.153299

MrNoodly said:
I don't like generators, but they're necessary for some people. Drumming is unnecessary.

But anyway, the first suggested coordinates are too close to camp. In fact, if the crowd is as large as last year, that's pretty much in the center of camp. So, how about over on the east side of the access road, like this: 33.652592, -114.144010. Or much farther north and west, like this: 33.657669, -114.153299

Generators necessary? :dodgy: I won't even go there....

Those are two great locations as well!   Maybe the original poster could chime in here too?  

At this point I could care less where they hold a one hour drum circle, but I appreciate the original poster mentioning wanting to be considerate to others in the area..............

Thank You Van Man Dave for that location suggestion of the Medicine Circle. It looks like a great option! At this point, I'd love to 'bookmark' it, and think evaluate a little more when it come to location, but it looks like that place is a good option! How easy it it to get to, I wonder? And is it still too close to camp? Perhaps it would be better to have it closer to the access road? Just some things I'm thinking about.

I also think it's important to note that the circle that I'm envisioning is not about being as loud as possible, and banging in an ugly way. Drum circles are best when melodic, and more 'meditative' (for lack of a better word). It should ebb, and flow, with occasional stops, even. With a new song starting; with a new intention. That sort of thing. I can even be at the site a little earlier, and teach people some basic rhythms!

I'm not planning on holding the drum circle where I camp, and plan on driving to the location. I might even have a car with several seats available, for others to carpool.

TKay said:
Thank You Van Man Dave for that location suggestion of the Medicine Circle.  It looks like a great option!  At this point, I'd love to 'bookmark' it, and think evaluate a little more when it come to location, but it looks like that place is a good option!  How easy it it to get to, I wonder?  And is it still too close to camp?  Perhaps it would be better to have it closer to the access road? Just some things I'm thinking about.

I also think it's important to note that the circle that I'm envisioning is not about being as loud as possible, and banging in an ugly way.  Drum circles are best when melodic, and more 'meditative' (for lack of a better word).  It should ebb, and flow, with occasional stops, even.  With a new song starting; with a new intention.  That sort of thing.  I can even be at the site a little earlier, and teach people some basic rhythms!

I'm not planning on holding the drum circle where I camp, and plan on driving to the location.  I might even have a car with several seats available, for others to carpool.

I know for sure that the medicine circle is 1500' away from the main area, but as mentioned before, it may still be too close for some.
We might look into exploring some other areas a little further out :D

My Pagan ancestors from Europe had drum circles long before we knew there were people living in the Americas or what ever they were called at that time by the folks living here.  I don't see how this can be considered cultural appropriation unless you are specifically dressing up in another culture's garb and mimicking what they do.  I've been to pow wows before but not being a part of what ever tribe was having the event, I was only a spectator with deep appreciation for what they were doing.  I've been to many Pagan rituals where drums and drumming circles were present and participated because it is something I am connected with.  That being said, I believe it is both considerate and "safe" to hold the drum circles far enough away not to provoke the ire of those that don't or won't understand what it is all about.  Having been to a few circles in public parks I know all too well how disrespectful it can become when some butthead wants to display his or her buttheadedness so everyone can see just how much of a butthead he or she can be.  I'd love to be a part of this upcoming circle but alas, distance (Australia) is preventing it this time around.  Hopefully next year.  I'll leave you with this modern adaptation of Pagan drumming that hopefully stirs the spirits of your ancestors....        

I go to a lot of music festivals and drum circles drive me crazy! It's not soothing to me it's annoying just like generators are or people talking really loud and being obnoxious when you're trying to listen to music. Also other musicians can't really play their music when there's a drum circle going on, it's even hard to have a conversation. I would be okay with it if it's during a time when there's nothing else going on and it's far enough away it can barely be heard and it doesn't last very long. I'm a little doubtful though that in the wide open space of the desert you'll be able to find a spot where you're not going to bother somebody. (Sound carries) Good luck, sorry people are not very enthusiastic about your drum circle, probably been burned too many times with loud obnoxious drumming.