Driving in wind

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraOak

Reaction score
HI all.

Looks like I'll be buying a step van initially. I'd like a high one so I can stand up (I'm 5'3-1/2" so it may not need to be extra high) but my question is about driving in the wind. What has been your experience driving in those conditions in a van? Which van is steadiest?

Thanks!

Just drive more slowly, and when things get crazy find a place to pull over and wait it out

You will quickly learn your tolerance level for wind. Your application of “good judgement” will also improve. Just rely on what these two things tell you and act appropriately.

If in doubt- get off the road.

I have a hightop Nissan NV, and with the solar panels and roof vent cover, I'm about 10 feet tall. When the van was new and lightweight, before the conversion, driving in high crosswinds, even at 55mph, was a white-knuckle affair. Things improved greatly after adding 2000 pounds to the van. I have a travel trailer now (also around 10 ft tall) and even with a weight distribution hitch and sway control, wind can make things interesting.

I've been in New Mexico since February and the winds are brutal here. It's not unusual to have winds in the 30mph range or higher, day after day.. I'm doing the New Mexico State Park shuffle, so I must move every 14 days. The prevailing wind is crosswise to I-25, my main route. I make things much less difficult by moving the trailer early in the day, before the wind kicks up. If I keep the speed below 62mph and the crosswinds are less than 20mph, it's not too stressful.

The ace up my sleeve is that, since I'm retired, if the weather is too awful, I can just call ahead to the next park and let them know I'll be coming in late due to the weather. Many boating/flying/recreational activity accidents are due to people HAVING to go out in dangerous conditions because of time constraints. If you can be flexible with your traveling times, you will be able to reduce the dangers of inclement weather greatly. And an even better tactic for extended rotten weather is to just pick up and head to greener, calmer pastures.

A plus in being above to deal with travel delays is to be able to dry camp, to not need hookups. As long as I don't want to run the a/c, I can boondock indefinitely, eliminating another time constraint
Ted

WalkaboutTed said:
I have a hightop Nissan NV
Which is **much** more streamlined and stable than a step van, the high-wind factor is like tripled.

The latter are designed for stop and go in urban areas, not highway travel.

Even routine other-direction OTRs on two-lane highways will take some getting used to.

Keeping to slower speeds and erring on the side of caution when weather conditions escalate will be critical.

speedhighway46 said:
You will quickly learn your tolerance level for wind. Your application of “good judgement” will also improve. Just rely on what these two things tell you and act appropriately.

That is exactly the kind of detailed information I need in order to make the best decision for me, and the information what I expected. A step van or Nissan nv like you have sounds great but I don't like high wind situations. Am going to stick with my original plan and get something low that will pull a weeroll or something like that. And stay in camp on windy days!

Thank you for your thoughtful answer and the generous time you spent with it. Have a great day!

John61CT said:
Just drive more slowly, and when things get crazy find a place to pull over and wait it out

Hi John. That would work if I tolerated driving in high winds. Trouble is, I don't. At. All.  :p So better for me not to buy such a hightop vehicle in the first place. 

Have a great day!

speedhighway46 said:

Thank you, speedhighway. I already know my tolerance level for high wind - zero.  :p  And that's the truth. So, I'm going to go for a jeep or suv with good tow sway prevention and pull something...small. Lots to think about and try out.

Have a great day,
Debra

An nice option in your case is a pop-up trailer and Somerset makes a very good camper with the Aliner A Frame & the Somerset Pop-Up. I looked at a bunch from different manufacturers and none could match the quality & details of design. https://www.aliner.com/campers

A step-van is not a wise choice if you intend to do daily driving with it. You would be better-off with a joined box-truck/cab.

A step-van is essentially a "bus" without windows and seats. Literally, that is all it is. However, buses usually have a higher weight, as they are made of steel or more "structure", due to the need to transport and protect "passengers" and not just sheltering "goods" from the elements.

If you want more stability, without going the step-van/bus/box-truck path... Then you want to get an extended-top or high-top cargo-van or passenger-van. That will give you greater walking-space with a lower clearance from the ground, with better cross-wind control. The sacrifice is usually a higher price and less space. The gains are more driving comfort, fuel economy and more driving control.

Look around, have you ever seen an empty step-van blown off the road? I never have, even in a hurricane or tropical storm. With a permanent load, it will be hard for the wind to push your vehicle off the path, while blasting 65 MPH on the front of your vehicle. A 35 MPH cross-wind would actually be reduced to about 12 MPH, when you factor-in your traveling speed. Sure it will be felt more than a normal car, but no more dangerous than you would feel if you were driving a motorcycle in the same conditions.

You get use to it.

P.S. There is a reason they drive with both doors open, in good weather. It allows more cross-winds to pass through.