Drivers-side UV protection?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not quite liking the cling screens I ordered. The mesh design and solid-back frame affect visibility just enough to worry me a bit. I hate paying what I'd have to pay for tint (and no way am I attempting that job myself), unless maybe somebody is willing to do just the driver's window.

Back to the sunscreen for now. Yuck.

ganchan said:
I like the suction-cup/static-cling screen options too. Not perfect, but cheap and removable.

The static cling is much preferable in my experience to the suction cup approach. The cup devices are fixed size (one-size-fits-all) approach which is almost never preferable. There will always be areas around the shade where sun shines through. The cling stuff, if you buy a small roll of it, can be cut to the exact size of your requirement. If applied properly to a clean window surface, it will stay on when you move the window up and down. I did the top half of the driver side window which gives my face shade from sun from the left but leaves the bottom half clear for good nighttime vision.

While you can remove and replace the cling material, eventually it doesn't adhere as well as it well. On the other hand, if you leave the suction cups up, the sun eventually ruins their ability to adhere.