Drivers-side UV protection?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RVTravel said:
Vehicle glass probably blocks 80-90% of UV.

Articles I've read say a small minority of cars' windshields can block up to 96% of UV. But that's just the windshields. The side and rear glass blocks far less UV. Windshields are slanted (causing the rays to travel diagonally through the thickness of glass), usually more tinted and much thicker than the rest of the glass on the car.

AreWeLostYet said:
Articles I've read say a small minority of cars' windshields can block up to 96% of UV. But that's just the windshields. The side and rear glass blocks far less UV. Windshields are slanted (causing the rays to travel diagonally through the thickness of glass), usually more tinted and much thicker than the rest of the glass on the car.

Windshields also have a layer of plastic sandwiched between layers of glass (to keep the glass shards from going everywhere in a crash). It's the plastic layer that blocks the UV.

All safety glass has a sandwiched layer of plastic in the middle. It is a matter of how much tinting the plastic has. Before you do any aftermarket tinting on your vehicle, check the laws in your state regarding tinting windows.

Tinting has nothing to do with it...many cheap, dark sunglasses do not block UV.

Amazon has clear UV blocking film...no need to worry about 'shade' legalities.

That static cling tint referenced earlier says nothing about blocking UV...just claims 80% block of visible light. UV is an invisible wavelength.

Here's a link to amazon for some clear UV blocking window film:

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Protection-Window-Film-Wide/dp/B004JAW3KW

johnny b said:
Tinting has nothing to do with it...many cheap, dark sunglasses do not block UV.

Amazon has clear UV blocking film...no need to worry about 'shade' legalities.

That static cling tint referenced earlier says nothing about blocking UV...just claims 80% block of visible light. UV is an invisible wavelength.

Here's a link to amazon for some clear UV blocking window film:

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Protection-Window-Film-Wide/dp/B004JAW3KW

All currently marketed sunglasses in the US are required to block almost 100% UV - even the cheapest. The non-uv bloakcing glasses were recognized as a threat to humans years ago and regulated for that.

The Gila tinted film does block UV: 
https://www.amazon.com/Gila-Automot...sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=gila+auto+window+film

As for the clear film linked to. The Q&A section of the ad revealed the following:

Question:  can i used this on my car side window?

I don't think it would work, the movement of the window up and down would probably dislodge the film. It can be removed after installation by just pulling it off. 
David Hocker answered on June 8, 2015

We do not recommend the use of household window film on automotive applications. 
TechnologyLK SELLER  answered on June 8, 2015

[size=small]This film is designed for flat residential glass not for the curved glass that is typically found on automobiles. 

TechnologyLK SELLER  answered on November 14, 2016
[/size]

[size=small][size=small]Question:
Does this work for car:  
Answer:  This clear UV Protection film is designed for residential windows that are flat. Automotive windows typically have a slight/medium curve to all the glass. Automotive films are installed much differently than residential window films and we would not be able to guarantee this film would stay adhered to the glass on an automobile. 
By TechnologyLK SELLER  on October 30, 2017
[/size]
[/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small]Question:  Will this product work on car windows?

Answer:  Any Window Film that is not made for automotive application will not work on car windows. The reason for this is that automotive film is made to be applied to glass that is curved (auto glass is curved, except for some RV glass) with a heat gun. This film cannot be applied using a heat gun, so it will not adhere like automotive window film.
I hope this helps.
By TechnologyLK SELLER  on May 16, 2014
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Question:  Can be used for car windows?

Answer:  Not really, it will not conform to the curved surfaces. 
By Eric M. on November 15, 2016

[size=small]Question:  Will it protect from both uva and uvb?

Answer:  The only information we have from the manufacturer is the UV Protection Fade Control Clear Window Film reduces up to 99% of damaging UV rays. Unfortunately, they do not specify UVA or UVB. 
By TechnologyLK SELLER  on March 17, 2017
[/size]

[size=small]Doe this film have a cooling effect?[/size]
[size=small][size=small]Not as much as I expected. 
David answered on September 18, 2016
[/size][/size]

There is a slight blocking of heat. 
Been There Done That answered on September 20, 2016 

[size=small][size=small]It probably does not. It gives UV protection of sun rays doing damage of articles inside, but to reflect heat would need to be reflective or dark which probably affects your house appearance 
James O. Martin answered on September 18, 2016
[/size][/size]

ganchan said:
Windshields also have a layer of plastic sandwiched between layers of glass (to keep the glass shards from going everywhere in a crash). It's the plastic layer that blocks the UV.

Glass without plastic absorbs nearly all UV. Glass lens sunglasses don't have a "plastic layer" to absorb UV. Safety glasses may. But most safety glasses are made of polycarbonate plastic and used mainly indoors.

[font=Lato, HelveticaNeueBold, HelveticaNeue-Bold,]How Much UV Is Filtered by Glass?[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times,]Glass that is transparent to visible light absorbs nearly all UVB.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times,]Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/does-glass-block-uv-light-608316[/font][/SIZE]

tx2sturgis said:
Have you tried swinging the sun-visor over to the side window?

I haven't seen a car that adequately covers a driver's face from sun coming in from the driver's left. And there's a reason. Any visor that covered enough of the driver's side window would also block vision on that side posing a serious safety problem.

Rolling down the highway with the sunglare in your eyes IS a serious safety problem, if you are having trouble seeing the road ahead. The sunvisor can help, that is why it has a swivel feature.

Many of the newer sunvisors will actually extend rearward when pulled to the side, to help taller drivers who sit with the seat slid back a bit farther.

And no, it probably wont help with the sun's UV on your arms and shoulders, but that can be dealt with in other ways.

tx2sturgis said:
Rolling down the highway with the sunglare in your eyes IS a serious safety problem, if you are having trouble seeing the road ahead. The sunvisor can help, that is why it has a swivel feature.

Many of the newer sunvisors will actually extend rearward when pulled to the side, to help taller drivers who sit with the seat slid back a bit farther.

And no, it probably wont help with the sun's UV on your arms and shoulders, but that can be dealt with in other ways.

I have a UV-blocking long-sleeved shirt and driving gloves, which helps. I'm mostly concerned about my ear and the side of my face. My floppy hat will only go so far to help me there. I do swivel the visor sometimes for additional sun blocking, but the area it covers is pretty small.

Still thinking about cutting a bandanna in half and wearing it like "dog ears" under my hat.  :cool:

My concern about protective films is that some people criticize them for introducing a degree of blurriness, even when applied correctly. I wouldn't invest in anything permanent on this old car anyway.

Currently looking at these for partial protection. The rearview-mirror area won't be covered, but maybe that's just as well.

BTW, the link above goes to a set of mesh window covers

ganchan said:
I have a UV-blocking long-sleeved shirt and driving gloves, which helps. I'm mostly concerned about my ear and the side of my face. My floppy hat will only go so far to help me there. I do swivel the visor sometimes for additional sun blocking, but the area it covers is pretty small.

Still thinking about cutting a bandanna in half and wearing it like "dog ears" under my hat.  :cool:

My concern about protective films is that some people criticize them for introducing a degree of blurriness, even when applied correctly. I wouldn't invest in anything permanent on this old car anyway.

Currently looking at these for partial protection. The rearview-mirror area won't be covered, but maybe that's just as well.

BTW, the link above goes to a set of mesh window covers.

I remember as a kid, my mom (who was fairly short) had bought a set of those suction-cup stick-on roll down plastic shades for her side window. Of course, your height will determine what will work or not.

I sit taller in the saddle, as they say, so it's less of a problem for me.

BTW, I always pay to have the windows tinted on my vehicles.

AreWeLostYet said:
All currently marketed sunglasses in the US are required to block almost 100% UV - even the cheapest. The non-uv bloakcing glasses were recognized as a threat to humans years ago and regulated for that.

The Gila tinted film does block UV: 
https://www.amazon.com/Gila-Automot...sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=gila+auto+window+film

As for the clear film linked to. The Q&A section of the ad revealed the following:

Question:  can i used this on my car side window?

I don't think it would work, the movement of the window up and down would probably dislodge the film. It can be removed after installation by just pulling it off. 
David Hocker answered on June 8, 2015

OK, was not aware of the cheap sunglasses thing, my bad.
I also didn't catch the Q&A showing my choice didn't adhere enough for car windows, my bad #2.
But I was right about the Gila UV part...as shown in the chart below.
However, that Gila Amazon link you show is not the same link. I followed the link to the 20% VLT tint in the purple box that is in post #14.
Here's a screen cap where it shows no UV blocking:

Screenshot_2018-07-09 Amazon com Gila.jpg

Heck this manufacturer's chart actually calls the Amazon text into question on the link to the blue box. It says UV blocking, but the chart shows only the Gold and Red box products block UV. WTH.

What a PITA to have to read so deep into a couple of sales sheets to try and get the correct info...ah the Interweb...luv it/hate it!  :rolleyes:

One of the things I love about this forum is how it sometimes forces us to dig a little deeper. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-09 Amazon com Gila.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-09 Amazon com Gila.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
Several companies make UV blocking window clings. They stick by static electricity, can easily be applied, removed and reused. They are often marketed as baby sun block shades and many are easy to see through. Some come with a tube shaped cloth bag for storage when not in use. The key word to add to your search is 'cling'.

Magda Wise said:
Several companies make UV blocking window clings. They stick by static electricity, can easily be applied, removed and reused. They are often marketed as baby sun block shades and many are easy to see through. Some come with a tube shaped cloth bag for storage when not in use. The key word to add to your search is 'cling'.

Funny. When I google "automobile cling window film" all I find is Gila brand. Maybe they have a patent. There are other cling materials. But all I saw were decorative film, not sun-blocking film.

Take the "one size fits all windows" and you'll be craning your neck to stay out of the area where the material ends. Buy the roll of Gila sunblock and you'll be able to fit the whole window, half the window - whatever fits your requirements. And this stuff eventually all loses it's ability to be reapplied. Clean the window thoroughly before first application. In addition to Amazon, Gila peal and cling film is also available at Autozone. I think I've seen it at O'Reiley's too.

johnny b said:
OK, was not aware of the cheap sunglasses thing, my bad.
I also didn't catch the Q&A showing my choice didn't adhere enough for car windows, my bad #2.
But I was right about the Gila UV part...as shown in the chart below.
However, that Gila Amazon link you show is not the same link. I followed the link to the 20% VLT tint in the purple box that is in post #14.
Here's a screen cap where it shows no UV blocking:

Heck this manufacturer's chart actually calls the Amazon text into question on the link to the blue box. It says UV blocking, but the chart shows only the Gold and Red box products block UV. WTH.

What a PITA to have to read so deep into a couple of sales sheets to try and get the correct info...ah the Interweb...luv it/hate it!  :rolleyes:

One of the things I love about this forum is how it sometimes forces us to dig a little deeper. :)

"All Gila DIY auto tints block 99% of UV rays, to help protect your vehicle’s interior and your skin from the sun’s aging."

From the manufacturer's web site: https://www.gilafilms.com/for-auto/static-cling-tint

So I followed your link to the Gila Static Cling page and saw the reference to "all".

However, click on the 'for auto' tab and come to this chart:

Screenshot_2018-07-10 For Auto - Page Gila Window Film.jpg

So even on the manufacturer's website...conflicting info...go figure. (only the 3 'Static Cling PLUS' block UV of the Cling choices, along with the 3 'Heat Shield PLUS' products...according to Gila's chart).

Which leads us back to "ah the Interweb...luv it/hate it!" :rolleyes:

OK, I think we've beat this horse enough...have a good day.

(at least now I think I know which one to get for my truck) :huh:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-10 For Auto - Page Gila Window Film.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-07-10 For Auto - Page Gila Window Film.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 4
johnny b said:
So I followed your link to the Gila Static Cling page and saw the reference to "all".

However, click on the 'for auto' tab and come to this chart:

So even on the manufacturer's website...conflicting info...go figure. (only the 3 'Static Cling PLUS' block UV of the Cling choices, along with the 3 'Heat Shield PLUS' products...according to Gila's chart).

Which leads us back to "ah the Interweb...luv it/hate it!" :rolleyes:

OK, I think we've beat this horse enough...have a good day.

(at least now I think I know which one to get for my truck) :huh:

I emailed Gila's customer support and posed this question:

[font=arial, sans-serif]"In the Gila chart at[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]https://www.gilafilms.com/for-auto[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]It only shows 3 of your auto glass films as having 99% UV rejection. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]However, on your home page, it says  [size=small]"All Gila DIY auto tints block 99% of UV rays, to help protect your vehicle’s interior and your skin from the sun’s aging."[/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small]Which is it? Do ALL of your films reject UV, or is it just the 3 with the 99% in the "UV Rejection" column?[/font][/size]

I got this in an email in response: (direct quote)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting Gila Window Films. We appreciate you reaching out to us. [/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]So sorry for the confusion, we are in the process of updating our site.[/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]All Gila DIY auto tints block 99% of UV rays, to help protect your vehicle’s interior and your skin from the sun’s aging. [/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif] [/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again![/font][/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you,[/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]The Gila Window Film Team[/font][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]www.gilafilms.com  "[/font][/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][size=small]Gila Team Mailbox -   [email protected][/size][/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Arial, sans-serif]Perhaps the graph cited is not yet completely filled in with all information yet. Stay tuned. [/font][/font][/size]

ganchan said:
I like the suction-cup/static-cling screen options too. Not perfect, but cheap and removable.

I had some of those and thought they were clunky. I went with the UV stuff put on by a shop and it lasted over 10 years. ~crofter