Drive at night, sleep during the day?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
The local Walmart put up and are enforcing no over night parking signs but they leave people alone during the day. So why not drive at night and sleep during the day?

jimindenver said:
The local Walmart put up and are enforcing no over night parking signs but they leave people alone during the day. So why not drive at night and sleep during the day?

Because you cant see the best sights at night.  :p

jimindenver said:
Good point

If I wear a hat, most people don't notice it.   :p

It is also much quieter at night.  Parking at any lumber store is always an option.  Usually without the semi's idling.

"Day-camping" is what it is called

Perfectly legal to sleep in your vehicle during the daylight hours (in all but a few cities) wake at or before midnight and drive off to your next destination or simply run your errands (great time to go shopping, or visit your 24 hour gym for a hot shower, grab a bite to eat at your 24 hour diner, etc) and drive to your next destination as the sun is rising. Great time to be driving too; no traffic, beautiful scenery, and so on. Arrive, and go see the sights before the crowds show up, then find a nice park or parking lot to fall asleep around 2pm again. Rinse and repeat.

Great cold weather schedule as you are driving (or inside some building) over night and early morning when it is coldest outside, and sleeping when it is warmest. Much less reliance on a heater to stay comfortable.

would be especially a good idea for someone towing an RV close to their rig's limits, no one cares if you pull hills at 35 MPH at 2 AM

Wal-Marts are so far from the only place to sleep. I's not worth driving when it's more dangerous and sleeping when it's possible to see the wonders just to sleep at Wal-Marts.

From a security point of view, I would guess that there is a much lower chance of somebody trying to break into your van in broad daylight.

I would probably have to resort to foam earplugs to be able to sleep in the daytime, so I would want a LOUD alarm system that would wake me if someone did try to break in.

And of course, if you're still working, and can find a night shift job . . .

In the NE we have more than our fair share of large critters wondering about from dusk to dawn. In the last 3 years I've hit 2 deer. First was a kill that took off my rear view mirror and half of the rear qtr panel. Second one the guy in front of me knocked it down and I got an assist. Front end of the Van beyond repair.
Lots of possum and raccoon and the occasional coyote wondering around too. Back in May there was a bull standing in the middle of the east bound lane at midnight outside Hope AR.

I am still learning what to look out for driving through the southern states but I'm hearing most places after dusk can play havoc with your front suspension.

Haha, you don't want me on the road after dark...I have trouble walking in the dark let alone driving! Night blind as all heck!

Just because THAT W/M banned it doesn't mean that you'll have trouble at another W/M. That's what the Driver section of Allstays is for... :)

You forgot to mention skunks (you never, ever, ever want to hit a skunk, especially in a vehicle you want to sleep in), in addition to other nocturnal animals: deer, bear, moose and other critters large and small that don't have a clue about looking both ways before crossing.  Deer in particular have a bad habit of standing on the side of the road until it's too late to stop before jumping in front of your vehicle.

Add to that my reduced night vision as I age makes me avoid nighttime driving when possible.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
You forgot to mention skunks (you never, ever, ever want to hit a skunk, especially in a vehicle you want to sleep in)

-- Spiff

+1,000 on that one!

I still remember the extra white line on an unmarked road that I drove over..... :rolleyes: :s

Late at night, 2 lane back 'highway' that had no center marking and all of a sudden I see a white line up ahead. By the time I realized that it wasn't painted on the pavement and that it was a skunk travelling in the same direction as I was, it was a tad too late to avoid it.

The undercarriage of the van had this horrid smell of skunk for several weeks afterwards!

Problem was it was my parents camper van I'd been driving that night - I think they finally forgave me but it took a while... :)

For too many years. I did a lot of traveling at night ....because I had to.
Lots less traffic and cooler in the summer , but that's about it!
I even had serious breakdowns and somehow survived to tell the tales .
I always travel by day now.
I see all the scenery ,find people to give directions and advice about local attractions , can stop and check out cool things that close at night (almost everything closes at night) and if I do break down there are a lot more options for help and they even show up way sooner.....YMMV

I've done a lot of sleep in day drive at night in the past.   Especially when I was going to be driving due east from a westerly origin.   Thus I wasn't driving for hours with the sun directly in my eyes. 

I've found driving at night with polarized yellow lens glasses made it much less straining.  They are also beneficial in rainy weather, in fog, and for long distance travel on drab overcast days.  Even seems to alter
ones mood more positively.

My first were a $3 dollar pair of Aviator style frames.   Fine for a few hours but too heavy after that.

Today I wear these light weight wrap around types which I find to be so much more comfortable.

images

Youtube video showing the appearance of the road on a rainy night through polarized yellow lenses

Those glasses do give you a clearer view, I've just never fully adapted to them, they make my eyeballs feel funny, and alter my vision in ways that may be beneficial if I ever got used to it, but throws me off for quite a while; I have to take them off to back a trailer
Still, which ones do you find to be good?

Being from Michigan and living here I am use to deer and other critters day and night. We hit one towing through a canyon but it was a glancing blow on the side of the van and it ran right back up the hill.

I do like having the road to myself and only tow mid week to avoid the traffic. I have the pull offs mesmerized on our route up to the boondocking areas, otherwise it's just too hard to come around a curve and make a pull off doing 40 or 50 MPH and towing 3 tons. I'll squeeze over, even slow down so people can pass, what ever it takes as long as it's safe. I've seen on the mountain forums how some hate people like me that go the speed limits. I don't do it to be annoying, they are my guides to make it around the curve, not get a ticket in all of the little towns with speed traps and not push my truck just because they want to go faster.

I avoid traffic at night too. I see three tail lights for every one you see. I can handle it for a while but lots of traffic or even worse, a snowstorm and I'll become exhausted in a few hours. Empty highways and I can go all night.

This is what I had to deal with on the freeway in the Missouri Ozarks.  Seed Ticks.

Attachments

• snapper.jpg
    snapper.jpg
    49.5 KB
jimindenver said:
Now that's a speed bump.

My ex hit one on I 44 outside Ft Leonard Wood. It destroyed the underside of her Taurus.