Drilling screws onto the ribbing of the van floor?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamsack

Reaction score
Hey all,<br>Would it be OK to drill screws onto the raised ribbing section of my van's floor or would by doing so drill holes that would protrude to the exterior of the van?&nbsp; Thanks all.<br><br>

<P>Hi Yamsack. When converting my cargo van, I drilled holes both in the&nbsp;raised part and the valley part of the corrugated floor. I didn't have any problem except right along the drivers side wall floor&nbsp;where there is an area that has about a&nbsp;6 inch area with metal casing underneath&nbsp;instead of just the&nbsp;flat metal floor. I was trying to put eyebolts in the floor, and in that area,&nbsp;my long bit wouldn't&nbsp;go through both surfaces. Other than that, it's&nbsp;easy. Just&nbsp;make sure you don't&nbsp;drill above the gas tank, because the bit pulls down hard when it goes through and could easily puncture the gas tank.&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>

<b>@ gp</b>&nbsp;&nbsp; Since you're essentially drilling blind, how did you manage to avoid hitting/damaging any other vital areas like brake hoses, electrical cables, etc.?<br><br><b>The idea of putting holes through to the outside makes me nervous.&nbsp;<br><br>I plan on screwing shelving units onto the plywood flooring and that may prevent some "bouncing".&nbsp; But since the shelving will not be snug all the way to the roof of the van, there is still room for the entire structure to bounce up/down during driving.<br><br>

My van has about a 1" inch thick blue insulation laying on top of the bare metal floor.&nbsp; What are your thoughts about just putting a conservative amount of construction adhesive (a small dollop here and there) directly onto the blue insulation and simply laying the plywood on top?&nbsp; Perhaps this may prevent any bouncing or shuffling around.<br><br>Lastly, instead of laying whole sheets of plywood, what are your thoughts about laying a row of 1" x 3" (or something similar) lumber flush against eachother for the flooring?&nbsp; The reason is that handling and custom cutting lumber to size is much easier than trying to perfectly fit a 4' x 8' section of plywood into the van, especially since I plan on doing this job alone.&nbsp; After the lumber is laid, I was thinking about covering the floor with vinyl tiling, then installing whatever shelving/furniture on top.<br><br>