Dogs and snakes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KathyLee

Reaction score
Has anyone taken your dog to that training Bob Wells referred to that trains your dog to avoid snakes?

I have friends that have. Whether or not the dogs would have been bitten without the training is something we will never know.

It's just training with an electric collar. Same as boundary training using an electric fence

A veterinarian would be a good source for finding rattlesnake avoidance training.

My dog has run into a couple snakes during the early part of 2018, for his first time, and has no training n snakes what so ever. Both times he *instinctively* knew to keep his distance but it was clear that he was considering getting closer (the terrier in him). I kept giving him the advice to back away which he eventually took.

I question if dogs really even need such training. Might depend on each dog.

I  took my dog to a guy a bit north of phoenix and it was very interesting.  He had cages in different places in his yard and after putting a shock collar on the dog, he had me walk the dog up to the first cage. He was watching my dog and when he decided that Kili had seen the snake, he shocked him and had me hightail it away from the cage...forgot to mention that Kili was on a leash and I walked him towards the first cage.  Then we walked around the yard and we did not get within eyesight of the second cage before Kili was pulling me away and basically refusing to go where I wanted. So it apparently worked.   A few days before the training,  a couple hours after I made the appointment,  were at Buckeye Regional Park and here was this while we were playing ball in the campsite. ..

20170309_163610_002.jpg

I considered it a cosmic punctuation  (exclamation) point on the decision for training because Kili likes to play with wildlife and I know that if he had seen the snake before me he would have tried to pick it up in his mouth and shake it.

This is the place we went and I highly recommend

http://www.vipervoidance.com/about-our-training.html

Attachments

• 20170309_163610_002.jpg
    20170309_163610_002.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
the dog really doesn't need to go after the snake to get bit. dogs frequently go around sniffing the ground and that's exactly where the snakes are. same with grazing animals they are eating grass and guess what, that is where the snakes are. our family lost 1 dog, several cattle, and had a horse bit. they all got bit in the nose or face. I did my own snake avoidance with my dog. for sure it's worth it, get the training. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the dog really doesn't need to go after the snake to get bit.  dogs frequently go around sniffing the ground and that's exactly where the snakes are.

Yep.  Mine would not only sniff one out she'd go after it too.  Another good thing about having your dog on a short leash.  It's not perfect but you have a better handle on the situation.  I would however make an exception for winter and areas that don't have poisonous snakes.  Play time!

Van-Tramp said:
Both times he *instinctively* knew to keep his distance but it was clear that he was considering getting closer (the terrier in him).

I question if dogs really even need such training. Might depend on each dog.

It does depend on each dog.  I have a Dachshund, a born to kill vermin breed.  She'd tear after that snake the moment she noticed it.  She actually tried to dig into a snake hole at the RTR that's how dominant her prey drive is.

Thanks for the advice you all.  Cindi - I took note of the link you gave :)  Although my dog is usually by my side I could see him innocently sniffing right up to a rattler and then "bang" what a way to learn to avoid - I don't know if it I want to take that risk.  ???

It's also important to do a reality check on whether you're actually going to be in an area with poisonous snakes when they're up and moving around.

If you're only going to be where they are during hibernation season, maybe it's not so important! If you do bushwhacking style hiking during active snake season and the dog is allowed to run free then if might be worthwhile but if you're the type to keep your dog on a leash and walk wider trails (2 track/ATV/jeep style) then maybe the cost benefit is not there.

I didn't see Bob's info on this,...but I took my pooch many moons ago to Magma Birddogs, in Arizona, where I'm based.

There are more than a few outfits that do the "snake-breaking" thing.

Magma sold to new owners a couple years ago,...Matt & Candi Sutter. I have no idea how well they have continued Magma's great reputation, but they can be contacted at 623-826-4323. https://www.snakeavoidancesutteraz.com

As previously described by someone else here, my dog was trained using a shock collar in much the same way. 2 diamondback rattlers were covered with overturned 5 gallon buckets. After one bucket was lifted, I was given a long-lead leash and instructed to lead my pooch toward it and let her get curious and approach it, getting a good whiff. The instructor had a remote for the shock collar and carefully observed how close the dog got to the coiled and buzzing snake. When she was sure the curious canine was close enough to see the snake and smell it, but still out of striking range,...she zapped her. My poor puppy leaped about 4 feet in the air with a loud yelp,...and ran over to me scared and confused.
We put the bucket back over the coiled snake and I spent a few moments consoling my dog and calming her down. After a few minutes walking her around, the instructer lifted bucket #2 revealing another buzzworm. I was told to attempt to lead my doggie toward the second snake,...but she wasn't having any of it. In the dog's mind, the snake had somehow zapped her and caused the pain,...so she refused to go anywhere near it. She literaly hid behind me and sat her butt down refusing to move.

Mission accomplished.

Back then, nearly 10 years ago, Magma Birddogs had as part of the purchase price for the training session (which was $100 then) the right to bring your dog back again up to a year later for a free re-test,...to see if the training had stuck. I brought mine back for the re-test, and she certainly DID remember. When I tried to lead her back to the coiled snake,...my doggie was all full of NOPE!!