Doghouse insulation and adhesives

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
The insulation inside the doghouse is basically shot.   Holes and tears.  Some places chunks missing.

It has been really nasty hot to drive this any long distance.   (Which I have not had to do since last summer in N. Carolina).   So..now that it is already off, I plan to get it done. I was planning to just try to do something on the outside of it...but, now that it is off for service work anyway...now is the time.

I ordered some thermo-tec.    Claims it has its own adhesive.   My experience with adhesives has not been very good.   But..I do not have the luxury of putting this on, taking it off, and so forth.   I need to know that this really works.  Once back on I am very uncomfortable with messing with it again.  I had one doghouse crack just from handling...this one was found in a junk yard in NJ.    And that, after a long search. Because of the age (1988) there is no NEW parts.

Anyone have experience with doing this?

VanKitten said:
It has been really nasty hot to drive this any long distance.  

It's extra fun when your making a desert run in high summer and you have to open all the windows and run the heater on full blast to help cool the engine. Like driving with your feet in a fire.

I have used pop rivets to reinforce contact type glue installing engine bay insulation. I spaced them about 10 or 12 inches apart.

Putting something in that penetrates thru the insulation and the outer cover...doesn't that just provide a means for more heat transfer?

How do you insulate over the rivets?

I put thermo-tec in the doghouse today.

It was a lot like wrestling. The old stuff was a mess. Like some sort of cardboard? Wood shreds? Core that disinagrated into mat and chunks. The reflection part was black and torn up. Holy mess to get out and clean up.

The thermo-tec was some hard work to lay flat and cut accurately. But, I finally got it done.

It is completely covered on the inside. I hope it works to spec.

please let us know the results once you test it. glad you got it done. highdesertranger

good thing for you got it done. Not much heat through a 1/8 inch pop rivet holding a >3/4 inch insulating blanket. It is about 99% blanket to 1% rivets. Plus I think I used steel rivets, not aluminum. How is your heat now with the tough job finished?

I get the RV back tomorrow from the mechanic. This is the reason I decided to get this job done right now. Since the doghouse was already off. The last doghouse was so brittle with age it cracked when It was removed...I was too worried to do this....but...since it is already off....

The thermo-tec is a very dense, heavy rubber like mat. But only about 1/4 inch thick. It seemed sort of thin to me...but it was really heavy. It was in the mid 90s, and probably hotter in the sun....hate to think how much harder the job would be in cold weather.

Sure hope this does the job. All the reviews claim this stuff is great. Just seemed sort of thin.

Weight.... this stuff is not going anywhere. That sticky back is strong!

Weight said:
good thing for you got it done.  Not much heat through a 1/8 inch pop rivet holding a >3/4 inch insulating blanket. It is about 99% blanket to 1% rivets. Plus I think I used steel rivets, not aluminum. How is your heat now with the tough job finished?

Did all this re-insulation cut down on the cab noise?? Looking for a solution to the doghouse noise...will covering the cab side with rubber backed carpet help, or only covering the actual 'engine' side??

VanKitten said:
I get the RV back tomorrow from the mechanic.   This is the reason I decided to get this job done right now.   Since the doghouse was already off.  The last doghouse was so brittle with age it cracked when It was removed...I was too worried to do this....but...since it is already off....

The thermo-tec is a very dense, heavy rubber like mat.  But only about 1/4 inch thick.   It seemed sort of thin to me...but it was really heavy.    It was in the mid 90s, and probably hotter in the sun....hate to think how much harder the job would be in cold weather.  

Sure hope this does the job.   All the reviews claim this stuff is great.  Just seemed sort of thin.

Weight....  this stuff is not going anywhere.  That sticky back is strong!

So, what was the result? Please help the rest of us out!