Doggy altitude sickness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BusGirl

Reaction score
Hi, we are slated to camphost at an elevation of 10,000. We have 3 dogs who are used to Ohio altitudes.  2 of them are older. Is taking them to that high of an altitude for the summer something we should be worried about? I am not generally bothered by altitude so it is something I just plain forgot to think about.  Any advice would be appreciated!

first off I am not a vet. you should consult a vet. but I would think if you took the dogs to a moderate elevation like 6,000 ft for a week before, they would be ok after all that's what's recommended for people. highdesertranger

The problem is you never know what breathing issues are hidden because they have never been at altitude. I was a campground host at Leadville, CO, 10,400 feet. It didn't happen to me but another host had a lady come in with an elderly dog, it got sick and died and the vet said it was the elevation.

They can't tell you how much and where they are hurting so she didn't know until it was too late.

That's an extreme example but something to be aware of. All my dogs have been to 10,000 feet and they never even flinched.
Bob

This is something I wondered about for people but not pets. I wonder if it might be more apt to plague the snub-nosed dogs like bulldogs, pugs, etc. since I know they have breathing issues in the heat due to snub-noses.

I have a vet appt next Monday, I am hoping they have some good advice. I'm just not sure how much experience they'll have in that area since we are in Ohio. I know it will be important to let them acclimate and we plan on spending the month of May in Colorado slowly testing the altitudes And we will keep their activity down and them well hydrated...but we are starting to wonder if we should apply for a lower elevation spot to be safe. We are torn. I'd hate to back out on our host job... :( I am not sure how it would hurt our chances at future positions, but nothing is worth losing our dogs over...if they were younger I'd not worry about it. Hopefully our vet has a good recommendation. I heard they have a pill that can treat it...maybe that's a possibility

I would think you could acclimate your dogs to the high altitude.
Mr. Pico are only at sea level for about three months a year in Southern Arizona and then we had to 4000 feet for awhile...and continue moving up until we reach 7,300 in Flagstaff. In July and August we are in Colorado at 8000 to 10,000 feet when we go to Telluride for the hottest part of the Summer. Mr. Pico at 10 years old has no problems.

We had our vet visit today. He felt that as long as we took our time acclimating and kept their activity levels low for a week or so that they should be fine. They all have great sounding hearts and lungs. :) Awesome news considering the girls are 13 & 16 yrs old! Crosby is only 5. We plan to head out Monday and head first to Colorado...starting to camp at around 8000ft and working our way up. We should have a couple of weeks of getting them used to higher elevations before we are due in Utah. Our vet gave the thumbs up so I think we are good to go! :) ( btw There is a preventative/treatment for pets with edema...but it is a steroid with the associated side effects ).

It's still quite cold there and another storm is on it's way. Watch the weather carefully, the Rockies do not suffer disrespect kindly. Once offended, it can be a nasty place.
Bob

akrvbob said:
It's still quite cold there and another storm is on it's way. Watch the weather carefully, the Rockies do not suffer disrespect kindly. Once offended, it can be a nasty place.
Bob

Thanks Bob! We are planning on starting in the San Luis Valley.  We visited there a couple of times last year and it's one of my favorite places.  There is some BLM around Salida that I think we are going to start with.  Hoping the weather holds out but if not we'll dodge south. ::) at least until we're due in Utah.  I'm a complete weather junkie so I'll be watching closely. Just grateful to be crossing the country in May instead of January/February.

Well plans written in jello must be contagious...:) We have had a change in plans and are now going to be camp hosting in California...in the Giant Sequoia National Forest at Redwood Meadow campground. The altitude there is only 6400 ft. This will be much easier on the girls. Thanks everyone all for your input! Hope to see ya on the road!

The pay should be better in California than in Utah, so that should work well for you. At 6400 feet it will get pretty warm, but the forest is usually so thick you can get in the shade and it's fairly pleasant.

I forget, are you guys going to the beet harvest or Amazon afterwards?
Bob

akrvbob said:
The pay should be better in California than in Utah, so that should work well for you. At 6400 feet it will get pretty warm, but the forest is usually so thick you can get in the shade and it's fairly pleasant.

I forget, are you guys going to the beet harvest or Amazon afterwards?
Bob

The pay is MUCH better...to the tune of over $650/month more. :)That will make a huge difference in us making this work, esp since Luna's new medication is $150/month! About the winter... Right now we are not sure. :)  We were planning on the beet harvest but this job lasts longer and the timing may not work out.  We may do Amazon, or come back to Ohio if the house hasn't sold yet, or find a Christmas Tree lot somewhere...I read about that on one of the threads here and it sounds like fun too. :)  We are trying to stay open to ideas, and what feels right as we come across it.  This is a really big mind shift for me who has had to ALWAYS have a definitive plan (and usually back up plan) for everything.  I've been working hard on retraining my brain.  My favorite quote has always been "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"  by John Lennon...and so I am trying to embrace that more and convince my brain it's okay to be open to changing course frequently or as different opportunities arise. Worst case we know we can pick up retail jobs for the holidays back in Ohio (or possibly elsewhere) if nothing else pans out.

After Labor Day they usually ask people of they want to leave and let them if they want to. They'll shift people around from campgrounds that are closing to cover the campgrounds that stay open. If not enough people want to go, they will lay them off. Business drops so much they just can't all stay.

I'd really suggest trying to make the sugar beet harvest, lots of money in a short time and on your way back to Ohio.

But, there is great money in Pumpkins/Xmas Trees. To find them I'd suggest joining workamper.com--that's where they advertise the most.

They may not like you not being self-contained, check to see if that is an issue.
Bob

Latest posts