Dog safety in the van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katelyn

Reaction score
So after losing my best buddy Bosco a few months ago, I became so lonely and lost after having him by my side for 9 yrs I decided to adopt!!!
I found a 2ish yr. old female Yorkie/Silky Terrier. The owners didn't 'want' her anymore, they had 7 dogs! Said they got 2 litters out of her so I could breed her if I wanted to. NO WAY! Her Spay appointment is already set.
Anyway, my question is for other dog owners that have 'runners' or escape artists, she's a true terrier by all means and is on a leash at all times, how do you keep your dog from jumping out the van window?
I've been searching for a window barrier, and I already use baby gates in the windows of the house, Mom says she feels like she's in jail lol.
With warm weather I plan to use bug netting in the van and the baby gates don't fit.
I really don't want to crate her all night or keep her on a leash all night either, she's quite the cuddler :)
Sorry if someone posted a link to my question earler I couldn't find anything in the search.

Thanks!
10500293_10202389696247201_2950799993863848881_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10500293_10202389696247201_2950799993863848881_n.jpg
    10500293_10202389696247201_2950799993863848881_n.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 25
Glad you found another buddy!

I have a beagle, so I have my own escape artist. When Simon is riding in the truck he is belted in; by that i mean he is wearing a harness that is tethered to the seatbelt. He has limited movement, but if I am in a accident, he is not going to go flying into the windshield (also, he can cuddle up to me but cannot jump on me while I am driving - safety again). When stopped, the windows are never open enough for him to wiggle out of. He is always on tether whenever outside (unless in a fenced in area).
I have seen 'pet resistant' screen material at Home Depot. Haven't tried it, but it might be a solution if you want wide open windows.

One more thing: Train her to always come when you call. Your best defense is that she stop whatever she is doing and come to your call. -- Spiff

I had a coonhound whose, chase instinct totally controlled him. He's go out the window even if the truck was moving. But he was big so I just always left the window half up and he couldn't get out.

How about a run? You'd need small cable to go from the front to the back just barely hanging down from the cieling. Put a large key ring on it and attack her leash to it. Have the leash long enough she can move freely but not jump out.

Just an idea.
Bob

I found a solution for the van windows (Amazon) and it works great for keeping my three inside the van and still getting airflow. I even tried to push it out and couldn't and it keeps hands from reaching in to pet the pups when I run into a store. I also have two exercise pens that I set up when parked, I use lattice under the van so that they have a larger area and can come in or be outside when I'm "home". Hope that helps

Attachments

• 71BxeoeIWJL__SL1500_.jpg
    71BxeoeIWJL__SL1500_.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 38
Add a harness and attach the leash/tie out to the harness rather than the collar. Also micro chip. It costs about $15 (possibly less now) to micro chip a pet. If they do get out, once found, the chip gives a way to locate you.

Great ideas! Harness and a run/long leash in the van, awesome idea! I will definitely look into the window gate.
She will be getting micro chipped next month for sure. Next on the list will be a seatbelt harness.
Thanks for the ideas everyone! :)

A useful training method to teach your dog to come is to have a special word that you only use to mean "come now for a super special food treat..." something they love. My dogs can handle a bit of cheese so I use that for the treat, as we always have some on hand. You train the dog to come to that word by practicing with the treat, and then once they get it, you do it now and then to reinforce it. Here's an article I wrote about it: http://www.training-dogs.com/1858/teach-your-dog-a-really-reliable-recall/

Latest posts