Dog Left In Car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivGolden

Reaction score
My response to having the Sheriff called to my car while I was shopping:

I wanted to thank your store employees for checking on my dog while I was in your store, today. At first, upon hearing an emergency call for my vehicle, I was worried. I soon realized the call was for my Golden Retriever and for her well-being.

Though my car was running with the A/C set at 60 degrees and I had the E-break engaged and my pup's collar was off and she had a bowl of water and a treat and the radio was set for her to groove with the 60's, she still was vulnerable - even for the 10 minutes I allotted for my shopping at your great Store! 

My Golden is fine. We have our Fantastic Shrimp Salad for supper, tonight and we are all very happy. Unfortunately, some dogs are not so lucky. 

Definitely report! I would.

Thank you, again for your kind consideration. I wish all dogs were so fortunate.

Good job!

Peace

Woof-woof

You have a very generous heart, LivGolden.

We had park police called on us once, while parked at an historical attraction.

It was warm, but we got there first thing, and rushed through before it got too hot, leaving the dog in the van in the shade with the vent fans running and plenty of water.

When we came out, a woman was standing there and the dog was at the window barking furiously.

She said the dog seemed upset, but she was about two feet from that window.

Park police showed up, by which time we were at a nearby picnic table with her, having lunch.

They gave us no trouble, but said they deal with dogs left in hot cars all the time.

Something I would never do, and a Class B motorhome isn’t the same as a car in the sun with the windows rolled up.

I told myself she was well meaning, but struggled with feeling she jumped the gun.

Yea, if you're going to travel with a pet - it's inevitable.

I don't believe for a moment that those who reported me for leaving my pup unattended in my car knew that my car was running with the a/c on. I think they just reacted to seeing my pup sitting behind the steering wheel and so they called the authorities.

This is something we must address if traveling with a pet...

The positives of traveling with a pet far outweigh the negatives - for me. Might not for others, though.

I get it! I wasn't in the store 5 minutes before the loud-speaker went off with an urgent message for the owner of the vehicle with the dog left inside! I was embarrassed. I'd even left a note attached to the driver's side window explaining that Puppy was with water and grooving to the 60's and the A/C was almost too   cold, considering...
I'm guessing a knee-jerk reaction. Couldn't have helped that I was parked next to a Constable's car and it is Election Day...lol
Poor puppy! The lady braced against the door was a bit too friendly, even for a Golden, and my pup seemed confused.
Thankfully,, we all gave a big hug and were about our way in no time...
Just another consideration when traveling with our pets...

I think it was here that I wrote about being confronted more than once by some aggressive people -- once as soon as I entered a parking lot! and once while parked fully in the shade with four windows cracked a good way plus my sunroof too. People can get very carried away.

Nonethless, I try to be very positive in my responses. Not just to prevent people from doing the usual thing of getting hyper-defensive and turning that into aggression, but also because the basic impulse is usually good. True, there will always be people who have aggressive natures hiding it being being a do-gooder, but the idea that people should be careful with their pets is a good one, and I'm far from convinced that most people are responsible enough to treat their pets right.

I always leave a note on my windows with my cell phone #, requesting that concerned persons call or text me, letting them know it will usually take me a minute or two to meet them at my vehicle. No one has contacted me thus far. I'm usually away no more than a 1/2 hour. The dogs are in the back of my truck with the cap's sliding, screened in windows all the way open.

I had a friend who left her dog in the car accidently. It was dead when she got back. It took ten minutes.

If you are in doubt about whether your car will get to hot or not with windows cracked or however you leave then it’s easy enough to sit in your car for ten minutes when you stop. If it’s very hot for you it will be much worse for your pet who can’t sweat.

I’m pretty careful about it myself.

Cammalu said:
it’s easy enough to sit in your car for ten minutes when you stop. If it’s very hot for you it will be much worse for your pet 

That's my metric too. It probably helps that I get hot very easily and loathe the heat, too.  A bit of a safety margin.

Regardless, I usually don't leave the dog alone in the sun for even five minutes at a time unless it's definitely a cool day and/or I've found plenty of shade.  I don't trust the shade, either; the sun can move surprisingly quickly, sometimes, especially when it's already at an angle.  So just a bit of shade or having the shade "just exactly" covering the car isn't good enough.  

The best bet is just to leave the dog home when it's a hot day, or take him into stores with you when you can.  Where I live, you see dogs in stores a lot.

Keep in mind that many areas have "Good Samaritan" laws which make it legal for somebody to bust out your window in order to "rescue" your pet.

Cammalu said:
I had a friend who left her dog in the car accidently. It was dead when she got back. It took ten minutes.

If you are in doubt about whether your car will get to hot or not with windows cracked or however you leave then it’s easy enough to sit in your car for ten minutes when you stop. If it’s very hot for you it will be much worse for your pet who can’t sweat.

I’m pretty careful about it myself.
I agree. I leave my car running - A/C on full blast. No collar or leash. A bowl of water. A note stating my car is running and I'll be back in no more than ten minutes. (My car is too quiet. I sometimes don't even know if it is still running...)

On one hand . I am glad people call me on this. On the other hand - it's ten minutes TOPS and what am I to do...?

So far; so good. Let's all be calm...Puppy is good. Me, too. 

Peace

I have curtains I put up on the windows of my Expedition to block the sun and keep it cool inside when camping so I put those up when I have to leave my dog in the car (usually mornings, shade or cool days).  Also put the windows down about 2 inches.  Haven’t had LE called on me yet.  Thinking they can’t see the dog?

I traveled cross country recently with my German shepherd and never had any issue leaving her alone even for hours at a time at night. Of course, I would judge the weather and if it was comfortable for me it was comfortable for her. I also have a baby monitor that I take with me when I go into a store or run an errand and I can make sure she's calm and sleeping on the sofa sleeper in the back. I usually block all the front windows and I have a magnet on the passenger side saying: caution K9. Video and Temperature Monitored.

I added the magnet after a similar incident of a person trying to 'help' while standing way too close to the window, with dharma barking her head off. I politely asked the person to stand away, they did and dharma stopped barking. end of incident.

We place a note on our windshield that says our dog has food, water and a vent fan for when it’s hot out. It also has our phone numbers and says to please call/text if you’re concerned.

We haven’t had any calls yet but we have gotten a few compliments on the note.

I think it’s really helpful to ease people’s concerns.

I do that, too. My note explains the A/C is on; she has water; no leash or collar to get caught on anything; the E-Brake is on and she is grooving to the 60's. People mean well but sometimes react without checking it out. So a note is usually good. The baby monitor is definitely something I can get into.