Dog in Hot Van Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had shihtzus for the past 25 years, a really nice pet. Lost my last one last month. They traveled with me all over in my van, no solar or auxiliary power.

Nobody has mentioned this yet. Parking in shade is crucial but remember, that shady spot may not be shady in a short time as the day progresses and the sun moves (well, the earth moves but you get the drift).

You may already know this but shihtzus do not tolerate temperature extremes, especially heat because their very short palettes reduce the effectiveness of panting to cool themselves. Your concern convinces me that you will figure out ways to keep your furry friend comfy and safe.

My two shihtzus went with me from Texas to Maine to California to Alaska and everywhere in between. They quickly became adjusted and knew the van was "home". They are a great breed for traveling, not high energy, content to sleep through a day on the road with brief stops for short walks, and not too barky. Have fun!

Best wishes.

Stargazer said:
Nobody has mentioned this yet. Parking in shade is crucial but remember, that shady spot may not be shady in a short time as the day progresses and the sun moves (well, the earth moves but you get the drift).
I've mentioned this before and I'm glad you mentioned it too It cannot be mentioned enough.  
It's amazing how fast the shade can shift, especially in more northern areas.  As a lifelong dog lover, I watch for this constantly even when I have no dog in the car!  
And it has convinced me to be extraordinarily wary.  As little as half an hour's difference here in Oregon can make the difference between my car being in and out of the shade.  And that difference is life and death.  By an hour?  No question. 
Let's not even talk about super-cloudy days in which the clouds suddenly part when nobody could possibly expect it ... seen that soooo many times ...

I have a friend that inadvertently killed her dog this way. It was left in her SUV and died in ten minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a workamper in Bryce Canyon and all rv's up here have electric. I have electric and I'm in my Prius! I travel with the weather. I do better in cooler climates.
 I've been on the road for 6 months and haven't had to use my air conditioner yet. Almost every workamper up here has either dogs or cats. If you decide to workamp do it in higher elevations.

GypsyRita said:
I'm new and have not started traveling yet and don't even have a van yet but I have been worried about traveling with my little shih-Tzu. If I become a workamper and have to leave him in the van, how do I do that? I mean, I can't leave the van running? What is the solution? Thank you so much for your kind responses!
Rita :heart:
Doggy daycare. Yes, it costs money, but not that much. You chose to take the animal with you. It is your responsibility to make sure it is safe and comfortable.

My van has two inches of insulation on the roof, sides, and even in the doors. It has no windows, just two layer Reflectix shades. There is also a Reflectix “next to van skin” layer. I insulated the hell out of it. The side windows in the cab have 30% ceramic tint. I have a fan/vent to exhaust hot air.
The absolute hottest the van ever got was 102, the outside temp was 101 in Phoenix during early September. So, I was able to keep the inside of the van nearly to the outside temperature. It certainly didn’t reach no 140 degrees inside.

My dog and cat travel is very nice conditions.

I think the key is windows. Lots of people like looking out at that pretty lake, I want wall space and cooler temps inside.

Great group here. I am a solo senior female and travel with 4 dogs in a minvan. 2 standard poodles each about 60 lbs and 2 chihuahuas. We boondock in remote areas. I never leave my dogs alone in the van. I have used the Rover service, and other kind nomads to babysit when  I go into stores to load up supplies. I have a budget dedicated to my dogs for vet visits, flea and tick prevention, food, babysitting and grooming supplies. I camp to follow the weather for comfort. I have a 10 person tent for rainy days that gives us good space. I have my minivan set-up so the chi's are in the passenger seat in a dog seat with a secure harness "y" attachment and the poodles in the back have room to stand and move around. We stop every 2-3 hours on driving days for breaks and walks. Life is wonderful with dogs!