Does this seem like a good deal?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maller82

Reaction score
I having been looking for a box truck for awhile now and came across this one.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/4263999751.html

I emailed the guy and he said he just put $1800 into repairs. Transmission seal, alternator, water pump, thermostat, all new plugs, wires, cap, had all fluids drained and filled, oil changed, and 2 new front tires.

Its an automatic, regular gas, 200k miles. He said motor & transmission are strong & it will run forever. I plan on going to take a look at it tomorrow. Are parts for this kind of truck easy to find?

Any input at all would be GREAT!!

I think $2800 sounds a bit steep to me.

It IS an old U-Haul truck, ya know! (don't let him tell you otherwise)

So that means that it's had ALOT of hard use & abuse throughout the years.

Parts won't be a problem at all, no matter where you travel, so that's a big plus! Your basic 460 Ford Big Block is a strong workhorse, and they last a good long time...but boy do they like their GAS!!!! (this will NOT be an economy driver...and don't believe that this'll run forever!!)

200K?? How's the steering feel?? If its sloppy at all, that's gonna cost you a wad to replace the ball joints, and can get dangerous...but the parts are available. Same with the brakes. Any pulsing, grinding or squeeling??
And does the C-6 transmission shift properly?? A rebuild on that will set you back $1500.

I'd take it out for a GOOD drive, not just around the neighborhood. Get it out on the road, and see how it feels on the highway. Do ya feel safe??? That's good.

(I'd be inclined to spend $100-$200 and have a QUALIFIED mechanic give it a good going over.)

Good Luck, and let us know the results!!

It may be an old Uhaul but I don't see any signs of that being the case, why do you say that Patrick?? It looks very straight and tidy from the pictures, I would think a Uhaul would be a little more banged up. This would be a very comfortable truck to live out of, it has huge possibilities to build it out, I imagine that it's fuel economy would not be great but if you are not planning on moving around a lot it surely would make up for that in comfort when you are stopped. As far as price it depends on the condition. If it is in good nick I would say it would be worth 2800 who knows you might get it for 2500, hard to tell from here. good luck:)

I think it is an old rental truck also. But a truck that runs well and has good tires for less than 3K? It is a ford 350 and parts are every where. Pull the oil cap with it running and see if it stinks.

ccbreder said:
I think it is an old rental truck also. But a truck that runs well and has good tires for less than 3K? It is a ford 350 and parts are every where. Pull the oil cap with it running and see if it stinks.

Ford never made a 350...that's a Chevy mil.

Ford DID produce the 351 Winsors and 351 Clevelands...(I've got the Winsor in my van), but according to U-Haul, their E-350 trucks (like this) had 7.5L engines, which is a 460 Big Block.

and yeah, there's a chance that this wasn't a U-Haul truck, but ya see that slide out ramp in the back of the box in the ad?? This was something that U-Haul had built for ALL their delivery trucks.

but the body and box do appear to be in good condition (from the photos).

Camadeva (on this board) is building a housetruck from an old U-Haul boxvan too. He paid $1200 for his, and it's a diesel...that's why I don't think this is worth $2800.

But friends....this is only MY opinion. take it or leave it, I don't mind.

I'm sure the prices and the market are different in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas then it is out here in Oregon.

I'd just like to help Maller82 make an educated decision is all.

An f350 is a ford one ton. lots of parts for f350 fords where ever you could drive that beast.

Hard to say with that many miles. You might be able to get by with a full size van.

Best, James AKA Lynx

If you got a little bit of time and can sit on that cash I'd wait for that screaming deal that you know is worth it. It's out there, and they always seem easier to run into when your not looking, but can be found. This is a good looking rig. A bit loud in color, but would obviously make a good home. Chances are anything with 200,000 miles is going to run into some problems sooner or later, and just hope it won't cost ya too much.
I'd say check it out, don't get too googly-eyed. Craigslist (as well as anything used) is a risk. Don't always trust the seller's story. If your feelin' it throw in an honest offer. If your just not have no shame and throw a low-ball. if he says no tell him to call if he changes his mind.

I went and looked at it but I think I am gonna pass. Seemed like it was in great condition for being a 200k mile truck, but the owner was not willing to go down on the price at all. He said he already lowered it. Handled real well at 60mph. But I don't think the mpg would be a good fit for me. Guess I just gotta keep looking. I have about 3 months (maybe a little bit longer) till I need to get my truck and head to my aunt's land to start my build. I will post any other trucks I consider here. Thanks for all the help.

well Maller...

I wouldn't be too worried, as it's a buyer's market out there.

I'm also a firm believer in "use patience, and the right one will show itself" mindset.

I agree. I told him to call me if he lowers the price anymore. He said he hasn't gotten many calls about it and he needs to sell soon cause he & his wife are moving to Chicago. I wished him luck and made sure he had my number just in case. I have 3 months to find a good fit for me, my dog, and my small amount of stuff. Could be a little longer than 3 months though. The amount of uncertainty in my life right now is about the give me an ulcer!! That's one reason I want to do this. I need some form of stability in my life. This way I always have a home to call my own.

Not overpriced IF it is in good shape, but on the high side. I bet you could get a better deal if you let him sweat it out for several days.

The '94 transmissions are an updated version of the C-6 transmission which has a splendid track record. It has an overdrive and I think a locking clutch to help with fuel mileage. The truck was very likely a rental truck (Uhaul, Ryder, etc.) which would explain the paint to cover up logos. Do you know the saying, "Drive it like you stole it!"? A better saying would be, "Drive it like you rented it!" Funny, but true! Be aware of that.

However, fleet trucks have excellent maintenance schedules, which would help a ton for the one-ton. (lol) Two things that kill auto transmissions are poor servicing and heat. While rental trucks are highly likely driven hard, they are serviced well. Perhaps the miles were more highway miles. Look for a transmission cooler; that would be a plus.

At 200,000 miles, you are going to see some repairs. Heater core, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. Stuff that most people don't think about until they fail. That is not a deal breaker by any means, but something to be aware of.

If he replaced the transmission seal, did he notice the leak and fix it right away or did he wait until it started shifting funny and only then noticed the trails of oil leading from the driveway? Look at his driveway if you can.

He replaced the water pump and thermostat. Did he drive it until it was boiling over and wonder, "Hmmm. Seems to be getting hot. I better drive home straightaway and see what the dealio is?" Or did he notice the gauge riding higher than usual and fix it before it got too hot? See if the insulation under the hood above the radiator cap is saturated with coolant. You'll be able to feel the oily residue. It may also have coolant sprayed in nooks and crannies he didn't clean well. You may be able to tell if the intake manifold was recently removed (cleaner than rest of engine). If so, run away.

I'm cynical with most owner's neglect of vehicles and rightly so. You should be, too, as this will be your home.

I wouldn't bank on the engine being a 460. That is most likely, but a 351 is not unheard of. I would identify it first hand by comparing the valve covers. I can't remember the differences off-hand, but the info is on the 'Net. Even if it had the smaller engine, it probably was mated with the stronger transmission, but check that out, too.

Canine said:
See if the insulation under the hood above the radiator cap is saturated with coolant. You'll be able to feel the oily residue. It may also have coolant sprayed in nooks and crannies he didn't clean well. You may be able to tell if the intake manifold was recently removed (cleaner than rest of engine). If so, run away.

GREAT ADVICE!!!

Canine said:
I wouldn't bank on the engine being a 460. That is most likely, but a 351 is not unheard of. I would identify it first hand by comparing the valve covers. I can't remember the differences off-hand, but the info is on the 'Net.

It's also located on a plate or decal that's located under the hood somewhere. (on top of the radiator housing, riveted to the firewall, or stuck to the underside of the hood itself.)

This is why I bought my van, as I thought it had a 460, so I walked away. (this was my neighbor's rig). But when another guy was looking at it, I noticed the "Important Engine Information" decal stuck under the hood, which shows engine firing order and proper oil types, but it told me that this van has a 351 (5.8L). There should be one of these tags under this truck's hood with the info on it too. (altho, if the engine was ever swapped out then it'd be invalid...albiet, it's unlikely they ever did though.)