Does anyone know a shop/services that will install DC-DC Charger into my car? (North East)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutches29

Reaction score
Hi all, currently trying to turn my car into a campervan. I looked up tutorials on how to install DC-DC chargers however this seems to be way above my experience level. Can anyone recommend a good shop/company that would be able to provide such services? Thank you!

Your location would help. Currently Jimindenver is in Quartzite AZ I believe and is highly recommended.

An auto electric shop should be able to handle that work if you can’t find someone else to tackle it. They will be qualified to do a competent job of making good connections and testing to make sure it is functioning properly. But you will be charged their standard hourly rates for the labor hours involved. So if you can do everything but the final wiring hookups, calibration and testing that will save you a considerable amount of money.

An auto electric shop should be able to handle that work if you can’t find someone else to tackle it. They will be qualified to do a competent job of making good connections and testing to make sure it is functioning properly. But you will be charged their standard hourly rates for the labor hours involved. So if you can do everything but the final wiring hookups, calibration and testing that will save you a considerable amount of money.
That may be my best bet, thank you!

I j buy stranded copper wire from
Marine sources whenever possible. But as I was doing the wiring on my rig while living in Seattle in a neighborhood with thousands of boats that type of wire was readily available to me.

OP, given that you've accepted your limitations on doing this installation yourself, I would do this.

Go to a few competent auto electric businesses and ask them for a quote, including wiring and parts they would suggest you install.

If it can save you significant money to run the lines yourself, use the wiring that is common to all the quotes, or the best wiring quoted. If you feel comfortable doing so.

You can also reference the chart @abnorm posted above to confirm if the shop is using adequate parts and wiring for your setup.

Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

One other thing I forgot to mention is this. If you run the wires yourself, if something fails at a later date the shop can say it was the wiring, and not accept responsibility. Depending on the circumstances.

This is a trade-off to consider.