Dodge van front end frame rust question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
Before I bought my Chevy Express van I looked at a very low mileage Dodge conversion van. I do not remember model but when researching I found a lot of upset owners about the front end rust. I am wondering which year models this is a concern with if anyone knows?
A SEEKER

I can speak with experience about Dodge vans from 1999 to 2003, the last year the B series was made. They have a unibody frame and if the vehicle spent much time in the salt belt of the US, I would strongly urge a thorough inspection of the frame, particularly the front frame horns. Ask me how I know. Here are 4 different Dodge B3500 vans, the last one is mine.

a1.jpg1.jpgb1.JPGleft 2 - Copy.JPG

The frame horns on these rigs are part of the "crumple zone". Unfortunately they are made with 9 gauge steel (.151") and appears to be pretty crappy steel at that. Probably recycled. Also unfortunately, there is critical steering gear/linkage attached close to this area. Unless one can weld and weld well, the repair costs can run very high.

BTW, 2 of the photos in my post above are Roadtrek class B's on Dodge 3500 chassis. I'm glad I only paid $500 for my 3500 high top and not $$$ often associated with those.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    230.5 KB
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    1.9 MB
  • b1.JPG
    b1.JPG
    330.3 KB
  • left 2 - Copy.JPG
    left 2 - Copy.JPG
    338.7 KB
So . . . pre 99s do not have this problem? Fixing this problem is beyond my capabilities for sure. The one I almost bought was probably 2003 and was in great shape but this problem scared me away.

Thanks for the info
A SEEKER

A SEEKER said:
So . . . pre 99s do not have this problem?

Can't say. I've come to appreciate good, factual info on the net, and my personal experience is with '99 to '03. Outside of that would be what I've heard and that is Dodge has always used unibody on their light trucks up to one ton, at least in the modern era. I was also recently told that newer Ford and Chevy vans/trucks also are using unibody and the days of 'ladder frames' with good steel are gone.

I can tell you the chassis steel in my 2003 B3500, where is was exposed to copious amounts of road salt, has become like flaky pastry dough in places, hard to believe really, for a one ton truck, as you rake it out from the inside. I will probably attempt to fix mine, mostly because of it's initial low cost, what I hope is still a solid drive train (75K miles) and because I'll do the work myself. Otherwise it would cost 1000's. Sure makes a case for finding a vehicle outside of the salt belt.

Wow! I had no idea it was that bad. Now I'll have to think twice before recommending dodge vans.

Would it be fair to say that if you aren't the rust belt or pre-99 it wouldn't be that bad?
Bob

well I have seen some of this frame damage. here in cali it not so much rust, but the steering parts pulled right though the frame, I mean unibody. I didn't want to bring this up before because I didn't want to start a dodge vs chevy vs ford argument. but now that we are on the subject, unibody vehicles are basically throw away vehicles. once they are worn out you are better off scrapping them than trying to fix them. once they are in an accident it's better to just junk it. sorry to be negative but that's just the way it is. while I am stirring the pot you know what they say dodge trucks with the cummins diesel, while this is considered the best small truck diesel. it's been said "they put a 10,000 dollar motor in a 10 cent truck". highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
Would it be fair to say that if you aren't the rust belt or pre-99 it wouldn't be that bad?
Bob

That's two questions but I can think of no good coming from a vehicle being bathing in corrosive chlorides so I think it would be a real advantage to know the whole vehicle history. I say that because sometimes a vehicle might have had an earlier life in the north and ended up in the south with it's retiree owner. On the other hand I have heard that being constantly exposed to warm salt air can be as bad or worse that northern winter road treatments. I had a work colleague once who had a home on the water on the gulf in TX and he claimed it was extremely harsh on vehicles.

To the question about pre-99 vehicles, I cannot say with certainty. My experience is with 99-03. My guess is that Dodge has used similar chassis construction (unibody) for awhile. Just how long or far back can be researched or perhaps someone with empirical evidence will chime in. I do know that the B series was discontinued in 03 and the Sprinter took it's place and in fact the Sprinter uses the unibody configured chassis. (a recent anecdote: I had a tradesman working at my place recently who had a Sprinter, 4 years old, and it was rusting through the rocker and side body panels. I would cringe to get underneath and take a look at the frame, a shame really, they are not cheap)

Also I wrote above, it was mentioned recently by a knowledgeable friend that all brands in the so-called big 3 have now gone to the same unibody type chassis in light trucks but I cannot personally attest to that. As to their repair, it is possible, not cheap to get it done right if one cannot do it them self, but possible, and for each to decide if it's worth it.

b2.JPG

Attachments

• b2.JPG
    b2.JPG
    314.4 KB
It is easy enough to look under any truck you think of buying. I have had Chevy trucks break in half under the cab doors, Ford trucks collapse down in front of the cab, and dodge vans rear spring shackles come up through the floor. Rust does not discriminate. I still prefer Dodge. But will take any for the right price.

I have a 77 Dodge Tradesman and have seen several others that are just as clean so it may seem that late 70s early 80s are not as prone to the dreaded rust .

On the subject of salt belt cars going south with their owners, I just wanted to mention that if you get a CARFAX, it shows the complete vehicle history.

I was looking at one vehicle in FL. The CARFAX showed it had been sold new in NJ, and registered there for the first six years of it's life.

Regards
John

highdesertranger said:
it's been said "they put a 10,000 dollar motor in a 10 cent truck". highdesertranger

I have a friend who swears by his Cummins TD, but cannot stand that he's had to buy a Dodge pick-up to get one though. He hates the truck!

ccbreder said:
It is easy enough to look under any truck you think of buying.....Rust does not discriminate.

Yep, no substitute for a good inspection. I've owned '77,'85,'87,'90 and my present '91 Dodge and none have had severe rusting on the frame. I've no idea of the previous histories of the older vans but the '90 and '91 were from AZ and NM.

Sternwake's '89 would be a good example of a van that has spent lots of time near the ocean.

Yes, I too think Carfax is a good idea, generally money well spent, particularly in the context of this discussion. Checking the frame is of course part of a good inspection as well, if one is able to, just common sense and more so if one resides where road salt is applied.

The catch there though is frames tend to rust inside out and gaining access to view the inside of frame members can be difficult. The pic below is from a B3500 and was taken after removing the grill, the bumper and the bumper brackets. With a 1/2" impact wrench it took about 45 minutes. (photo also taken after raking out most of the flake and an Ospho treatment) The outside of the frame in that section was showing no rust yet.

SAM_0966 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0966 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0966 - Copy.JPG
    189.3 KB
like I said here in so cal we really don't have much rust unless you right on the coast. but I have still seen them pull the idler arm and or steering box bolts right though the unibody. as far as car fax goes it will give you the previous registration locations pretty accurately but the repair side of it is kinda sketchy, a lot of shops don't report to them so they really have no idea about the repair history. most used car dealers never report anything that could be seen as a negative, this is one of their unwritten cya laws. highdesertranger

I just had to scrap my 1997 dodge B2500 for frame rot. the rot was so bad that the steering box came completely away from the frame. I had over $2500 into her and scraped her for $450 to the bone yard. Would recommend having any vehicle frame inspected on a lift by a good mechanic. This van was located in ma with salty winters.

I've lived my whole life in CA and I've never seen a rusted out car that didn't come from out of state.

My 1989 Dodge van looks like new underneath, no rust at all.

One of the last remaining benefits of living in CA...

I turn 62 in Feb.  For the last year Ive worked on converting my 1999 Dodge 1500 conversion van to an off grid camper. I am , like most of us, living paycheck to paycheck. Every pay day I purchased something I needed and spent every free minute on the van. i JUST completed it. Solar, maxxair, sink, etc etc.  Yesterday I was driving it. I parked at a store for a couple minutes and when I went to drive away the van would not steer. Not at all. When I got underneath it what I saw made me sick to my stomach. The steering pump and other steering linkage had completely torn off of a VERY rusted frame.
My plans, my world, have come to an abrupt end. Only after this happened did I research and found out I am not alone.  The van is beautiful. Perfect engine, transmission etc., and now it is dead and unrepairable.
Ive not been able to sleep, eat or function.  I know it sounds dramatic but I have no money to replace the van. All that has kept me and my girlfriend going was the prospect of living in our van come spring retirement and now it's crashed down. I also feel SO stupid for not inspecting a frame before I bought the van. PLEASE if you are going to buy a Dodge van from years 98 to 2003 go over the frame with a fine tooth comb.
We cannot proceed with our plans and I am left with absolutely no transportation.  Praying every minute.

it's all the older body style Dodge vans all the way back to the 70's. I seen that happen on their frames that show no rust. frankly I personally would stay away from all of them.

Old Man I would give Go Fund Me some serious thought. use that post above it's perfect.

highdesertranger

Oldmaninvan said:
The van is beautiful. Perfect engine, transmission etc., and now it is dead and unrepairable.

If you have until next year, search around for a shop or shadetree guy that would swap out the drive train into another van. Look on CL for one that is pretty close year model that has a bad trans or bad engine that someone will sell cheap. 

It would be a lot of work but all your gear can be switched over to another van. 

Go Fund Me for the $ and maybe get some volunteers to help with the refit.