Do you know how much your van weighs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
Just curious how many people have actually weighed their van, after conversion and loaded.

Mayble,

Haven't nearly completed my build but I did take my 2012 GMC 2500 12 Seat passenger van 6.0L six speed to a local truck stop about 2 weeks after I bought it and it was original cond. and weighed 6120 lbs.  I want to know after my build also.  I've still got most everything removed and YES I know I'm slow.

I was getting over 20 mpg on the highway at that time. After I installed roof racks it seemed to drop at least 1-2 mpg.  After solar and build completed I will report whenever that will be. :(  Like TxJaybird wrote  IGTOFTS.  (I'm getting too old for this ....) :D 

Gapper2

Weighed my van on a truck stop scale after converting and fully loading; fuel, water, food, pups, me: 2016 Transit 2500, and weighed 7,050 lbs. It has a GVWR of 9,000 lbs.

gapper2 said:
Mayble,

Haven't nearly completed my build but I did take my 2012 GMC 2500 12 Seat passenger van 6.0L six speed to a local truck stop about 2 weeks after I bought it and it was original cond. and weighed 6120 lbs.  I want to know after my build also.  I've still got most everything removed and YES I know I'm slow.

I was getting over 20 mpg on the highway at that time. After I installed roof racks it seemed to drop at least 1-2 mpg.  After solar and build completed I will report whenever that will be. :(  Like TxJaybird wrote  IGTOFTS.  (I'm getting too old for this ....) :D 

Gapper2

That must be aerodynamics of roof over-flow interactions: the roof seems to make a lot of difference in wind-flow. A poster here put solar on top of plywood boards on simple rack-blocks, and had negligible loss of mpg due to the roof addition. I theorize it is like a wind spoiler (like race cars and big rigs) now guides the vehicle. For example, the wind directional changes effect a vehicle's efficiency without wind spoilers much easier than one with stabilizing spoilers. It's variance of wind forces (vs. stable forces) that reduce vehicle efficiency (or mpg.) ymmv. :)

(---->)  vs. (--> <--)

The van weighed in as 7,231. lbs when I had to put it on the scale as part of the process for getting it declared a motorhome here in BC.

I was supposed to empty it of anything moveable to get the GVW, but there was no way I was hauling the fridge and freezer out of it nor emptying the pantry. I did take the water crates and the solar panels, lawn chairs etc. out of it.

I had been curious about what my RVs weight. Never did anything about it until I saw some teens jumping in and out of a pickup at a closed Oregon State weigh station. The scale was still on. I pulled in and got my vehicle weight.

yup... we weigh it a couple times each season to make sure we are always below GVWR of 7300lbs... fully loaded we are usually a couple hundred under.

Thom