Do you have to carry a prescription?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
[font=Georgia,]   This issue was decided in a  Pinellas County case which occurred in 1984 which involved Florida Statute 893.13(2)(a)(7) which at that time did in fact make it a crime to possess prescription drugs in a “generic” container which was not issued by the pharmacy. In Walker v. State 444 So.2nd 1137 (Fla 2nd DCA 1984), the Second District upheld the Pinellas County Judge who had ruled that , “because the statute criminalized activity which was otherwise inherently innocent” , that the statute was unconstitutional.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]However, many cops do not know the law.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Be advised:  Carry a copy of the prescription.[/font]

Cops wouldn't care unless it was a naracotic . I carry 6 prescriptions and have never been challenged. They are all in the prescription bottle.

musicman said:
Cops wouldn't care unless it was a naracotic . I carry 6 prescriptions and have never been challenged. They are all in the prescription bottle.

Your bottle was evidence of a prescription.

I read a story about a  guy with 3 legal pills in a plastic bag  who spent 11 months in jail without breaking the law.

Never repackage your meds into another container.

Boyntonstu said:
[font=Georgia,]   This issue was decided in a  Pinellas County case which occurred in 1984 which involved Florida Statute 893.13(2)(a)(7) which at that time did in fact make it a crime to possess prescription drugs in a “generic” container which was not issued by the pharmacy. In Walker v. State 444 So.2nd 1137 (Fla 2nd DCA 1984), the Second District upheld the Pinellas County Judge who had ruled that , “because the statute criminalized activity which was otherwise inherently innocent” , that the statute was unconstitutional.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]However, many cops do not know the law.[/font]

[font=Georgia,]Be advised:  Carry a copy of the prescription.[/font]

Good idea. Laws change all the time, and vary widely by state. Court decisions vary just as often, with the possible exception of clear SCOTUS decisions. Best to carry drugs in their original, clearly labeled pharmacy containers.

Weight, if doing that you should still keep the original container they are from and a copy of the prescription. That is what I would do if needing to simplify taking multiple meds at multiple times during the day.

Oh great, something else to carry in my purse. I like my little containers that fit on my key chain. Oh well, best to not mess with the Law.

RVTravel said:
Weight, if doing that you should still keep the original container they are from and a copy of the prescription . . .

I haven't gotten a copy of my prescriptions for years.  Nurse asks for my pharmacy, I go pick it up; all electronic.