Do you folks use a bulkhead or a van partition in the back of your van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost space in the living space due to miscalculation made while trying to avoid the seats and the slider track.

You don't really lose space, per se, it just gives the illusion of such. The passenger seat in my van is gone and I use that area for storage. I have no door in my forward bulkhead because I used that are to put a cupboard sideways across the bulk head. It doesn't go all the way across because the foot of my bed goes under the counter top along side the cupboard.

One way it can cost you space is if you buy a swivel base and can swivel the passenger seat. Doing that gives you a great recliner to lounge in and many people love theirs!! Or you can just turn the seat around and bolt it on backwards, which also gives you a recliner. Again, I know many people that love that. You do have to be sure you can still see the mirrors with it turned around though.

I have a friend that was able to take his seat out and put in a small recliner that he loved, but that isn't always possible--often the doghouse is in the way.

A way the bulkhead could help you is to get a tall, thin bookcase and bolt it to the back of the bulkhead on the passenger side. I have three milk crates stacked up behind my bulkhead (ratchet strapped to it) and my inverter bolted to the bulkhead above it. I have a coat rack in the front of the bulkhead with rope, a hose, electrical cords hanging down tucked in behind the seats.

So the bulkhead can be great if you leave it in, or great if you take it out. Just whatever your priorites are.
Bob

I would love to be able to install a sliding partition for added stealth. I usually use a sunshade and/or sheet. Maybe I'm paranoid (I did just get my first knock from Walmart security a few nights ago) but I think a sunshade at night or during colder weather sticks out. And a sheet divider certainly does. I don't want a permanent one, but perhaps a faux-wood sliding accordion fold would work and look real enough to pass as a work van? I do love the feeling of space but I'm going to be full-time city camping soon.

I use a quilted appliance blanket- split so that it overlaps in the center, stapled to a strip of wood on the sides and Velcro on top with a couple Velcro tabs at the lap. mine is black on one side and gray on the other. by luck it was just tall enough for my step van with no trimming. I do have a cabinet behind the drivers seat that acts as a security partition in the event of sudden deceleration. Would do the same on the passenger side except that seat swivels.....and I do like the open feeling when the weather and view are to my liking.
The curtains get rolled and tied to the sides with small bungies on the road so they aren't flapping all over if the windows are open. I toyed with making bifold doors to fit the space, and decided this works well and is way more simple and idiot proof.

I'm actually considering tearing mine out...looking today we really gave up a ton of space in the living area this way. Got a fridge and I'm split on putting it thru the wall or taking it out altogether

After reading this question, I replaced my passenger seat with one of the swivel recliners from the back. I had to redrill three holes in steel to do it. That will give me an extra permanent chair that can be used either in front or in back. Worst case it will be another sleeping spot. I will not put in a bulkhead because of my neck surgery. I have a hard enough time turning my head and seeing what is behind me. I will have a blackout curtain on a rod for privacy. I am waiting for UPS to get my radiant barrier to me. They are taking four days to get the package the final 200 miles. Once that is in, I can start on the rest of the project.