Do vans typically sell well over blue book "value"?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmcd

Reaction score
Hi all, first post here and just getting started on looking for an empty cargo van. I'm kinda a forum addict so I'll either drop off the face of the forum after this and stick to my other forums, or stick around and post 1000 more times lol!

I'm pretty much set on a high roof promaster but don't want to spend 30k on a near-new van. Hoping for under 16k.
So far I'm not seeing many listings, and all of them are a couple thousand over blue book/edmunds appraisal values. Is this the norm? Should I expect to pay way over blue book values for such a hot commodity? I'm in SF but searching the entire country every now and then just to see what's out there.

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm eyeing one nearby but the seller is asking 14.5k and edmunds/kbb suggest 9k-11k. Mileage is 144k on a gas engine... maybe too high mileage? Was kinda hoping under 100k for gas or mid 100s for diesel.

Haven't figured out quoting yet, I'm getting pretty buggy issues with the reply button also. I considered flying to buy, but a few hunderd bucks for a flight, plus several hundred for gas to drive back, plus 3 or 4 days off work for the ordeal makes me think it's not worth saving $2000 for that.

I had a cargurus page open so I expanded the search to 500 miles and there is nothing under $21k for 159 wb, so looks like less options that craigslist. Yeah there's me and my wife and potentially a cat and need room for both of us to work, so kinda need the 159 wb.

Finding the perfect van is worth the time and effort, having said that lol. We looked for well over a year to find our 2018 Dodge Pro-master van. We found it at a tiny dealership in Southern Texas. What I did was get a map pin pointed smaller communities and then researched the local dealerships. We found a great deal was 1800.00 Under blue book with only 18k miles. We are now working on our conversion. I hope you find your dream!

If your requirements are very specific, then depending on how many of those vehicles were sold in your area, prices could vary.
Also very likely that the sellers are over pricing their unwanted vehicles. They see someone asks a high price, then they think that is what they should ask for their baby.
Published book prices should be based on actual sell prices. There is usually a Bid/Ask spread in pricing. Sellers ask, and buyers bid. Make an offer based on the book value and the condition.

Right now in the current economic lock down and panic, it should be a buyer's market. Small businesses are being shut down, extended cargo vans no longer needed. Must sell.

wayne49 said:
If your requirements are very specific, then depending on how many of those vehicles were sold in your area, prices could vary.
Also very likely that the sellers are over pricing their unwanted vehicles. They see someone asks a high price, then they think that is what they should ask....
I have noticed on the newer builds, that there is a high price tacked on for craftsmanship of the build. It actually cost me $750 to do my build, and I did all the work myself. It is priceless to me to have a well designed and well built van, but I would not pay a high price for a build that was done to suit someone else's lifestyle. If there is a good solar on the roof, that is worth more. My solar component is basic to fit the economy of my build.
-crofter

actually I have been told that RV's, trailers, and Van sales are hot right now. I know of a person waiting for a trailer and the place is super busy they already put her off once. highdesertranger

Right now there is a lot of selling off fleets of Vans, Step Vans, Trucks in general as many of them are 5 years old and have been written off the Tax Books of the companies that owned them. (Capital Equipment)

New 2021 models will soon be arriving at the Dealers.

Whole Fleets of vehicles are sold cheap to brokers who in turn sell them in smaller units to used car lots. (as their whole value is written off by the accountants of the companies that own them over a 5 year period as 1/5 the original cost as a tax credit each year....so the money the company receives small as it may be is a wind fall)
Companies don't want to mess with selling to individuals.

The Brokers mark the vehicles up to where they will likely double their investment, and the used car lots do similar.

Occasionally you will find a small company with a few vehicles that are too few for the Brokers to fool with. If they have written them of their Taxes they have nothing in them. What they sell them for would basically pay for all the fuel they used during the time they were used to deliver goods. That's kinda how it works. (their accountants keep track of that and the other expenses against the vehicle and it is part of what determines what they will try to sell it for.

aaronmcd said:
Hi all, first post here and just getting started on looking for an empty cargo van. I'm kinda a forum addict so I'll either drop off the face of the forum after this and stick to my other forums, or stick around and post 1000 more times lol!

I'm pretty much set on a high roof promaster but don't want to spend 30k on a near-new van. Hoping for under 16k.
So far I'm not seeing many listings, and all of them are a couple thousand over blue book/edmunds appraisal values. Is this the norm? Should I expect to pay way over blue book values for such a hot commodity? I'm in SF but searching the entire country every now and then just to see what's out there.

Thanks in advance.

PS I'm eyeing one nearby but the seller is asking 14.5k and edmunds/kbb suggest 9k-11k. Mileage is 144k on a gas engine... maybe too high mileage? Was kinda hoping under 100k for gas or mid 100s for diesel.

Depends a lot on your area. If a lot of people are looking for what you're looking for, the price will be higher than blue book.

Keep in mind that blue book values generally reflect what a bank/financial institution would be willing to finance. But a private seller doesn't care about that.

The way I look at purchases now a days is I put my criteria down, on a vehicle, that would be, year, make and models I am interested in, overall acceptable condition and mileage. Preferred options, colours etc. Then I would hunt around the market for it, once I found one if it meets all my criteria, I would not worry if it is a bit more expensive, because in a years time I won’t care, but I will be happy to have what I wanted without having to compromise. A low mileage vehicle in good condition can last 25 years or more if well maintained. Every year I own a vehicle that I payed a bit more for that, bit decreases.

crofter said:
I have noticed on the newer builds, that there is a high price tacked on for craftsmanship of the build. It actually cost me $750 to do my build, and I did all the work myself. It is priceless to me to have a well designed and well built van, but I would not pay a high price for a build that was done to suit someone else's lifestyle. If there is a good solar on the roof, that is worth more. My solar component is basic to fit the economy of my build.
-crofter
Hi Crofter,

You have me intrigued on your build. I, like you don't feel it's necessary to go out and send hundreds of thousands of dollars to have someone build out a home a wheels, nor do I actually have the money to do that. I would love to see your build, care to share some pictures??!! :)

-Graceful

I bought my Ford Transit 350 medium roof van a month ago.  I had begun looking to buy in February, then the pandemic struck in mid March so I put my plans on hold as I was unsure of my finances.  That was actually a mistake, as Ford Transit vans got a lot more scarce from that point on in my area.  I had to work real hard to finally find a used van to buy.  I bought mine at around Blue Book price, but noticed several selling in my area for $3k to $5k over Blue Book price, due to demand.  I had THOUGHT it should be a buyer's market now, but the problem was that dealerships were producing fewer vans, rental companies were not renting much so they ended up not having as many vehicles to sell.  

Cargo vans are in demand ...I doubt you'd find a high roof Promaster for under 16k unless it has a lot of miles on it, meaning over 75k-100k miles. In the SF Bay Area, even the low roof Promasters sell for over $20k.  

I recommend looking to buy all across the nation, and consider traveling to get your van.

I just bought a van for 4k, I'm sure it was way over bluebook.

I went through the receipts and the guy that sold it to me bought it for 3k.

The market here in Denver is kind of driving the high prices.

It is a good time to sell your van, and it is a hard time to find one at bset price.

Everyone wants a van.............maybe it is just me projecting.

PS
I took a Lyft 40 miles into the mountains to pick my van up. I'm happy with it.