Do other hybrids allow running the A/C at night?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've seen multiple videos and articles discussing the Prius' ability to run it's A/C through the evening, automatically starting the engine every now and then to keep the battery charged.  I was just wondering if any other hybrid vehicles can do this? A hybrid SUV would be interesting if so.

Also, is running the A/C all night always safe? No CO2 concerns?

Bill it's CO you need to be concerned about not CO2. CO=carbon monoxide, CO2=carbon dioxide, CO2 is what you exhale. oh welcome. highdesertranger

I can't speak to other hybrid vehicles - I do have a dual sensor (smoke / co) detector in my Prius for safety.

Id expect the Tesla to do the same. If you got money for a hybrid SUV, you may have money at least for an used Tesla :)

The Toyota Highlander SUV will do it as well, it's the same basic hybrid system. But it only gets 26 MPG because it has much more power, I have a friend who tows a trailer with it and says she has no problem pulling any hills. It's big enough for her to take trips in and sleep/live in. Quite good ground clearance as well.
Bob

Thanks very much for the responses, everyone. I'll give all of this some thought.

I was wondering about this, as well. I've been looking at a new Rav4 hybrid. I don't know if I'd ever use that feature of it, but it's good to know the ability is there if I need it.

I looked at the Toyota Highlander Hybrid myself, to tow my Aliner (or even a Trailmanor) as it has a 3,500 lb towing capacity. However at $47,000+ retail new, I could buy a good used motorhome in the 20k range and still have enough money left over to buy 11,000 gallons of gas - good for almost 100,000 miles of traveling in comfort and style - with a generator for off-grid AC use when needed.

Food for thought.

Chip

sushidog said:
I looked at the Toyota Highlander Hybrid myself, to tow my Aliner (or even a Trailmanor) as it has a 3,500 lb towing capacity. However at $47,000+ retail new, I could buy a good used motorhome in the 20k range and still have enough money left over to buy 11,000 gallons of gas - good for almost 100,000 miles of traveling in comfort and style - with a generator for off-grid AC use when needed.

Food for thought.

Chip

Your point is very, very valid, but it's not really fair to compare a new Hybrid to a used RV. Compare a new or used one of each and it starts to look a lot more comparable. A 20K used Hybrid versus a 20k used RV is a much tougher call. Right off the bat the RV is going to start needing repairs and replacements--better be saving for that new generator, roof, new tires and new fridge. The Toyota Hybrids have established themselves as some of the very most reliable vehicles on the American road. The Highlander only gets 26 mpg, but that's still 3 times better than most RVs and you can drive 3 times as much. Is that important to you? Gonna tow a toad, that raises dozens of new strikes against the RV.

Wanna get a little further back off-road, the highlander will be drastically better than any RV.

In comfort and room of course there is no comparison but anyone considering a hybrid has already made that decision, everything else is not nearly as easy as it sounds.
Bob

annamation said:
I was wondering about this, as well.  I've been looking at a new Rav4 hybrid.  I don't know if I'd ever use that feature of it, but it's good to know the ability is there if I need it.

I'll add my thoughts to this since I recently made my vehicle purchase and I also considered the Rav4 hybrid.  The main reason that you might want that vehicle would be if you felt comfortable with a small living space and also needed some ground clearance.  If you don't think your tires will leave pavement, you should consider the Prius V - that's the wagon version of the Prius.  It felt like it had slightly more usable interior room than the Rav4 for a bit less money, and better mpg.

If you need to tow heavy stuff, you'll need to spring for the highlander. The Rav4 can pull about 1500 if I remember right.

I opted for the regular Prius myself, but haven't done any test runs with it yet.

Good points Bob, but let's say you did find a used Highlander as you suggest. True there's no bathroom with potty and shower, no fridge, no generator, no fresh water tanks, no water heater, no plumbing, etc. to repair or replace as you are missing those things so must do without them - a greater hardship than an occasional repair if you ask me. ;)

To each his own. Your point about being able to access more remote places would be the most valid concern I would have, were I in the OPs shoes, however there are smaller, better gas mileage RVs like the Toyota powered Mini-Winnie that are worth considering as a compromise between versatility and economy. Here's a good website for smaller RVs worth looking at: http://www.toyotarvs.com/toyotarvclassifieds.htm Truck campers and class Bs come to mind as well, but again, these can be very pricy too. Plus, if considering a used hybrid like the Prius or Highlander, one needs to factor in the cost of battery replacement, which can be quite expensive as well. There are also serious weight and storage area limitations to consider, as well as a limited roof area for the fulltimer who may want to add solar.

There's no right or wrong choice, as life is a series of compromises to get what we want, and everyone's goals are unique to themselves. However my thoughts have some full circle from something super small and light, to a little bigger rig with a fuel efficient toad - in my case a Chevy Cobalt getting 30+ MPG that I already own, (a hybrid, such as a Prius, shouldn't be flat towed) which can be flat towed behind a used Class A or C gasser. The TV won't get very good gas mileage, as you say, but I have the toad for daily use, which will be the bulk of my mileage, as I only plan on moving my home on wheels about once or twice a month as BLM and forestry rules or the weather dictates. One could use a 4WD vehicle as a toad for access to remote areas if desired. When comparing new (which must be financed) vs used (that one either owns or can pay cash for), the additional money spent in interest, registration and full coverage insurance on an expensive new vehicle will more than offset any repair costs on a good used RV, with some money left over for the additional fuel costs of the bigger, more thirsty rig too. As far as off-grid AC use, which I believe was the intent of the OP's thread, I plan on adding a large solar system to my RV with a super-high efficiency DC powered mini-split heat pump for our off grid air conditioning needs. Yes it will be both heavy and expensive, but the money saved on RV parks and camp ground fees will pay for itself in a couple years and more importantly, will allow me to stay in more remote (yet road accessible) areas in warmer weather where others without AC would find it too uncomfortable. Here is a link to the AC unit I'm looking at: http://www.geinnovations.net/solar-electricity-cost.html

Just a different perspective to consider. Far be it for me to suggest anyone should do what my DW and I have decided is best for us, as we are approaching FTing from the point of view of a couple, not a single person, who's needs will most certainly be different than ours.

Chip

Chip, were on the same page, a car or SUV is not for me. But I'm not a true minimalist. If I were, it would be by far my first choice over any RV. Especially a Toyota, I'm not a fan of any of the Class C Toyotas. I've been an advocate of a Class C towing an economy car for a long time also. Very good balance.

I'm still a huge fan of the Toyota Hybrids and any true minimalist should have it at the top of their list and a Class C at the very bottom.
Bob

Just revisiting the OP's original question and satisfying my own curiosity....  I did some more research (Googled lots) and found this answer on the RAV4 World forum.  It's in response to a question about whether the RAV4 Hybrid run the A/C at night like a Prius.

"Yes, everything you can do with a Prius is the same for the Rav4 HV. You can draw about 1000w off the 12v battery. Some people install an inverter in the back by the 12v battery for that purpose. You do have to leave the car "running", but a tank of gas will last for days. You can draw power directly off the traction battery with the right equipment and expertise, I think that allows about 3000w. 

Obviously, how much the ICE runs depends on the power draw. If you're trying to run household appliances, you'll need a "full sine wave" inverter for compatibility with newer electronics and motors. Running the A/C in the summer will cause the ICE to run about every 20 min or so for roughly 5-10 min. Running the heat in the winter will keep the ICE running a bit more, because it has to make the heat."